College Football 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting rather bitter towards Clemson, though. Y'all's AD, Terry Phillips, is an absolute dick.

In my opinion, the entire administration should have been fired years ago. Our President, James Barker, is a moron whose only goal is to be in the top 20 in US News and World Report rankings. He has forgotten that there used to be a great athletic department at Clemson. TDP is a puppet for Barker.

I'm getting rather bitter towards Clemson, though. Y'all's AD, Terry Phillips, is an absolute dick.
In my opinion, the entire administration should have been fired years ago. Our President, James Barker, is a moron whose only goal is to be in the top 20 in US News and World Report rankings. He has forgotten that there used to be a great athletic department at Clemson. TDP is a puppet for Barker.
Are you serious? Are you saying you would rather that your school be known for it's athletics rather then it's academics? If so, WTF?!?!?!?! Or are you saying that the current administration only focuses on scoring well in that one assessment of academic performance?

I would prefer my school be known as a good educational institution first (as that is a primary function of an institution of higher learning) and if that school also has a good athletic program that's a bonus. I would not want it the other way around.

Are you serious? Are you saying you would rather that your school be known for it's athletics rather then it's academics? If so, WTF?!?!?!?! Or are you saying that the current administration only focuses on scoring well in that one assessment of academic performance?

I would prefer my school be known as a good educational institution first (as that is a primary function of an institution of higher learning) and if that school also has a good athletic program that's a bonus. I would not want it the other way around.
I probably should have clarified that statement. I would obviously have Clemson be know for great academics than great athletics. But being in the top 20 of US News and World Report is a very arbitrary indicator of great academics. IMHO, the administration has focused on getting this elusive top 20 ranking, at the sacrifice of both academics and athletics. It has been well documented that those rankings can be manipulated, and the universities can manipulate their scores. For the record, Georgia Tech is in the Top 10, but that isn't what makes me think of Georgia Tech as an outstanding university.

For example, around this time of year I will start getting many pieces of mail a month from Clemson and many phone solicitations. The purpose of which is to get me to give money. I have donated money until last year when I started asking why they are being so aggressive about it. The answer was that one of the factors in the USN&WR rankings is the percentage of your alumni that donate back to the university. If I gave $5 that would have counted towards the ranking, even though it would have been a net loss to the university because they spent well more than $5 trying to get me to donate money. I told the guy to stop calling me and that I'd donate money when the university's priorities were corrected.

Last edited by a moderator:
I probably should have clarified that statement. I would obviously have Clemson be know for great academics than great athletics. But being in the top 20 of US News and World Report is a very arbitrary indicator of great academics. IMHO, the administration has focused on getting this elusive top 20 ranking, at the sacrifice of both academics and athletics. It has been well documented that those rankings can be manipulated, and the universities can manipulate their scores. For the record, Georgia Tech is in the Top 10, but that isn't what makes me think of Georgia Tech as an outstanding university.
Okay, I can agree with your statement now.

Okay, I can agree with your statement now.

I'm glad that a lowly graduate from a #22 USN&WR school could write something which a #3 USN&WR school agrees with.

I mean, yours is the same institution that produced GTME.

In all seriousness, I'm reading this book called Outliers, it's a pretty damning assessment of our higher education system.

Nick Bell, 20 year old DE for the Mississippi State Bulldogs, passed this afternoon after a short battle with cancer.

It's unfortunate that tragedies such as this are often the only things that can bring a perspective.

Well, to go along with our new conference, Colorado will get a new head coach. Next year in the new Pac-12 is not going to be pretty for the Buffaloes, but at least the spectre of nepotism will be gone from the program

-University of Colorado, Boulder, alumnus, 2001

LSU continues to shock me. At least in the department of QBs and QB coaching, that is. This is homecoming week which means the ME and Engineering departments are having reunions. Free booze for me!

I went to the Mountaineers game yesterday, beautiful weather for a game, good to see :wv: at least get a freakin' win

Penn State laid an egg in the 2nd half, that sucked

Wisconsin beat Michigan 48-28, now rank # 7 in the BCS rankings. Also rank # 3 according to PLAYBOY among the best party schools in the nation behind University of Texas and West Virginia University. As for their ranking among the Top 100 engineering schools in the world, they are at # 60 so it shows they know where the real priorities are. It's not good to be a grind, you have to get loose and stay loose.

:bananapowerslide:

Ohio State continues to try to give me a heart attack, as is the norm any time they play a decent team.

^^ I have to give LSU the "EXTREME OVERACHIEVER OF THE YEAR" award.

It's actually getting to be quite funny. But I'm always the one saying that a good team finds a way to win. So they are a good team.

DVINNY said:
MONDAY's SUCK !!!!!!!
but nobody is here. They are all out huntin' wabbits... er deers.

wilheldp_PE said:
DVINNY said:
Watching a very boring Mountaineer game, so figured I'd post. I hope we fire Coach Stewart, and today would be a good time to do so....
:D
That was a boring game...at least your team came out on top. I was there, freezing my ass off in the shade, watching my team lay an egg.

Then I went to the basketball game, and the first half looked like a middle school pick-up game. There were tons of turnovers and missed shots. At least we won that one.
The only bright part of that whole game was that :wv: held a very potent Louisville offense to basically nothing. The only TD 'Ville had was a recoverd WVU fumble in the end zone.

Other than that, WVU was very dissappointing too. The offense never showed up.

Sad thing is, if WVU beats Pitt on Friday, they will have the driver's seat to the BCS game. I am with everyone else this year that it is kinda sad that a team that lost to Syracuse and UConn may play in a BCS game, while undefeateds will sit at home.

Big East better get their shit together.

Ble_PE said:
^That's another pitfall of the BCS. There should not be automatic bids for any conferences. Typically the winner of the major conferences will be good enough to be in the BCS, but if they aren't they shouldn't make it just because they won the conference. I heard some folks talking about the SEC and said that if USC loses to Clemson and then beats Auburn in the championship game they would be in the BCS with 4 losses. That's unacceptable when you have no loss or 1-loss teams.
If PITT beats WVU they will be in the BCS with 4 losses as well.

ALSO,

I am predicting this now, so we can discuss.

Oregon will lose to either #23 Arizona or Oregon State. (who just took it to USC)

Auburn will lose to either #10 Alabama or #17 South Carolina

Then what?

ALSO,

Oregon will lose to either #23 Arizona or Oregon State. (who just took it to USC)

Then I am a Gigantic DoucheBag
"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"

ALSO,

Then I am a Gigantic DoucheBag
TCU v. Boise State in the BCS NCG.

Back