College Football 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd have 8 teams (4 games) name the games, the Orange, the Sugar, the Fiesta, and the Rose. Then, we already have a BCS National Championship game, so the only thing that would need added is the two games between the bowl winners.This would give EVERY team in the nation the shot at a title, and only TWO games added.

I am a grad student at Michigan State. If this system were in place this year, my Spartans would have to fly south and win three games in consecutive weeks.

I don't think that's fair or feasible.

The only way I think it would be nearly equitable is if your added two BCS games were held in northern venues and I would never see that happening.
Then Michigan State can stay at home if they don't want to be NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

:D

Easy enough.

You'd have 8 teams (4 games) name the games, the Orange, the Sugar, the Fiesta, and the Rose. Then, we already have a BCS National Championship game, so the only thing that would need added is the two games between the bowl winners.This would give EVERY team in the nation the shot at a title, and only TWO games added.

I am a grad student at Michigan State. If this system were in place this year, my Spartans would have to fly south and win three games in consecutive weeks.

I don't think that's fair or feasible.

The only way I think it would be nearly equitable is if your added two BCS games were held in northern venues and I would never see that happening.
Then Michigan State can stay at home if they don't want to be NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Easy enough.
Or maybe a team should just not play cupcakes and go 12-0 if they want to be NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Easy enough.

Or maybe a team should just not play cupcakes and go 12-0 if they want to be NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Easy enough.
Tell that to Cincinnati, Boise State, and TCU in 2010, Utah in 2009, Hawaii in 2008, Boise State in 2007, Auburn and Utah in 2005. All of them went undefeated, but weren't even given the opportunity to compete for a National Championship.

Easy enough.
Tell that to Cincinnati, Boise State, and TCU in 2010, Utah in 2009, Hawaii in 2008, Boise State in 2007, Auburn and Utah in 2005. All of them went undefeated, but weren't even given the opportunity to compete for a National Championship.
Yeah, I should tell them. OK, here goes:

Cincinnati, you should not have played Southeast Missouri State or Miami University last year.

Boise, you should not have played Miami University, Bowling Green or UC Davis.

TCU, you should not have played Texas State or SMU.

If you had not played these cupcakes, either the computers and voters would have been convinced or - more likely - you would have not have gone through the regular season undefeated.

Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah because the teams in the NCG didn't have any cupcakes on their schedule...

Alabama - Florida International, North Texas, Chattanooga

Texas - Louisiana-Monroe, Wyoming, UTEP

Florida - Hawaii, Citadel

Oklahoma - Chattanooga

LSU - Middle Tennessee, Tulane, Louisiana Tech

Ohio State - Youngstown State, Akron, Kent State

Florida - Southern Miss, Central Florida, Western Carolina

Ohio State - Northern Illinois, Bowling Green

USC - Colorado State, Brigham Young

Oklahoma - Bowling Green, Houston

Every team plays paycheck games to pad their stats, so that's not a valid reason for being omitted from a chance to play for a national championship.

In 2007, a 1-loss SEC team (Florida) got in the NCG over an undefeated WAC team (Boise State). The Boise State schedule may not have been as tough as Florida's, but they managed to win every single game...including the Fiesta Bowl over a 2-loss Big 12 team (Oklahoma). Who is to say they couldn't have won a tournament amongst the top X teams in the polls? The thing that makes the the BCS NCG a sham is that only 2 teams ever have the chance to be the national champion.

Yeah because the teams in the NCG didn't have any cupcakes on their schedule...

Alabama - Florida International, North Texas, Chattanooga

Texas - Louisiana-Monroe, Wyoming, UTEP

Florida - Hawaii, Citadel

Oklahoma - Chattanooga

LSU - Middle Tennessee, Tulane, Louisiana Tech

Ohio State - Youngstown State, Akron, Kent State

Florida - Southern Miss, Central Florida, Western Carolina

Ohio State - Northern Illinois, Bowling Green

USC - Colorado State, Brigham Young

Oklahoma - Bowling Green, Houston

Every team plays paycheck games to pad their stats, so that's not a valid reason for being omitted from a chance to play for a national championship.

In 2007, a 1-loss SEC team (Florida) got in the NCG over an undefeated WAC team (Boise State). The Boise State schedule may not have been as tough as Florida's, but they managed to win every single game...including the Fiesta Bowl over a 2-loss Big 12 team (Oklahoma). Who is to say they couldn't have won a tournament amongst the top X teams in the polls? The thing that makes the the BCS NCG a sham is that only 2 teams ever have the chance to be the national champion.

When a team's weakest conference game is Vandy or Washington State, maybe they have that luxury.

When a team plays conference games against Colorado State, New Mexico, Utah State and the like... then they don't have that luxury.

Certainly don't piss away games by scheduling 1-AA and MAC opponents, then come back and say, "We need another game or two."

When a team's weakest conference game is Vandy or Washington State, maybe they have that luxury.
When a team plays conference games against Colorado State, New Mexico, Utah State and the like... then they don't have that luxury.

Certainly don't piss away games by scheduling 1-AA and MAC opponents, then come back and say, "We need another game or two."
That still doesn't explain Cincinnati last year or Auburn in 2005. They both play a conference schedule against BCS competition. The fact of the matter is that a system that only allows two teams to play for a title does not produce a true national champion.

That still doesn't explain Cincinnati last year or Auburn in 2005. They both play a conference schedule against BCS competition. The fact of the matter is that a system that only allows two teams to play for a title does not produce a true national champion.

That's why I said MAYBE they have that luxury. Schedule a team like Citadel (which I believe Auburn did in 2005) and it is a gamble. Because teams who go undefeated and play a tougher schedule will be ranked higher.

I don't get so much into the "TRUE national champion" talk. In my experience, that phrase is used most often by:

1) Media folks who would profit greatly by covering a playoff tournament

2) Fans of traditional powerhouse schools who want their team to be able to lose a game without it ruining their season

I don't get so much into the "TRUE national champion" talk. In my experience, that phrase is used most often by:1) Media folks who would profit greatly by covering a playoff tournament

2) Fans of traditional powerhouse schools who want their team to be able to lose a game without it ruining their season
I'm neither. In fact, I don't think my primary team (Louisville) stands a chance at a national championship under the current system OR a playoff (although my back-up team, Alabama, has a chance at either). I'm just a fan of playoff time in a variety of sports, and while some of the bowl games are fun to watch, I don't feel like it's a good, season-ending affair. If the NFL, Division II, and Division III football can figure out a playoff system, why can't Division I?

I think the arguements over who should play in the National Championship and/or who actually is the National Champion is part of the fun of Div I football.

And on a personal note, I managed to get a couple tickets to the UofL game tomorrow. Fun times!

I think the arguements over who should play in the National Championship and/or who actually is the National Champion is part of the fun of Div I football.
And on a personal note, I managed to get a couple tickets to the UofL game tomorrow. Fun times!
I'll be there too. I actually have access to 2 tickets every game, but I was travelling a lot in the last couple of months, so last week and this week are the first two games I have been able to go to.

Aren't those tickets probably FREE anyway?

LOL

Go Mountaineers!!!!!!!!!!!! : :wv: :
The ones in the recently expanded nosebleed section are probably pretty close to free. Mine have always been free since they are my dad's season tickets.

there are three Tigers to cheer for this weekend, cant make my mind which one though?

Aren't those tickets probably FREE anyway?

LOL

Go Mountaineers!!!!!!!!!!!! :wv:
The ones in the recently expanded nosebleed section are probably pretty close to free. Mine have always been free since they are my dad's season tickets.
Just givin' ya a hard time. :D

Chucktown's Proposed NCAA Football National Championship System That Will Make Everyone Happy

Reduce the regular season back to 11 games.

Create a 16 team tournament. All conference champions receive an automatic invite to the tournament. The remaining at large invites are determined by BCS rankings. That's 8 games in the first round, make those lower tier bowl games. Make the remaining 7 games the BCS Bowls. The remaining bowl games get their teams the way they always have.

The National Champion would only play two more games than they'd normally be playing. Everyone still makes tons of money. All the crappy bowl games still exist. If you make it into the Chucktown tournament that should help your recruiting quite a bit. Boise State and TCU can still win the national championship, no more whining, everyone happy.

K, Thanks, Bye.

I don't get so much into the "TRUE national champion" talk. In my experience, that phrase is used most often by:1) Media folks who would profit greatly by covering a playoff tournament

If the NFL ... can figure out a playoff system, why can't Division I?

And when was the last great, memorable NFL regular-season game?

I watch quite a bit of pro football too but I can't remember a single great regular season game from 2009 or before. And I stay sober for pro games (unlike college) so it says a lot that I can't remember the games.

In contrast, I still remember when NC State killed FSU's national title hopes, circa 2000.

I still remember when Michigan State upset Ohio State in 1998.

I even remember when Iowa State upset Iowa, before Iowa and Ohio State both went undefeated through the Big11Ten in the same year.

That's one thing I like about college football. Any of 20-40 games each week could prove to be the "game of the year" and we never know when it will be.

NFL - the best ten teams can all lose on the same day and it doesn't really matter.

I don't think it will detract from the regular season in college football. In the NFL, you're competing within your division for a playoff spot in a league of 32 teams. 5 losses has a chance at getting into a playoff. In the BCS, you're competing against what, 120 teams, for a chance for 1 of a hypothetical 8 spots. You might sneak in with 1 loss, but there will still be controversy and hype surrounding that loss. A second loss will likely keep you out of the top 8.

There is such a minimal distinction between who gets to the BCS title game now, that it wouldn't be much different in terms of "who are the top 8" to keep things interesting.

I'll be there too. I actually have access to 2 tickets every game, but I was travelling a lot in the last couple of months, so last week and this week are the first two games I have been able to go to.

I had season tickets up until about 3 years ago. My old roommate and I had side by side seats and unfortunately we had a bit of a falling out. I gave up my ticket as part of the man-divorce (NOT gay). Sort of sad actually.

Back