College Football 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no desire to see a playoff.
While it may draw more interest from casual observers, a playoff will draw less money than the current bowl arrangement. Crowds will get incrementally larger as a team advances. Currently, every fan that is going to watch their team shows up for every game.

Who would you limit your playoff too? The BCS top 5? Top 12? Either way, there is going to be complaints about who made it in and who didn't. We take 65 basketball teams, and there is always discussion about who made it in and who shouldn't have.

There are a lot of bowl tie-ins right now. Bowls are the only chances that athletes get to take trips to cities and actually sight-see, have a good time, enjoy the moment, etc. It's a great time for the college athlete. The current bowl system allows for more teams thus more college athletes to experience this.

50% of current bowl participants end their season with a win. In a playoff, only one team will. A bowl win is the momentum that will catapult the end of recruiting.

The current system allows for some great matchups. How often do you have a bad BCS game? How many times have we had a "crappy" final four?
Think about it, do NCAA basketball programs lose money on their tournament? Do the b-ball players not get to sight-see? Do they have trouble recruiting off of an elite-8 or final four appearance?

I don't even see how the BCS can crown a "champion" when the team that wins the Championship Game only has to beat one, tough, non-conference opponent to get that title. And they only make it to that game based on the whim of sportswriters and a bunch of computers.

And I see a bad BCS game every time a Big-10 team plays an SEC team.

Speaking from experience I can say that bowl games are a lot of fun for the athletes and I can understand the momentum gained for recruiting that jmbeck speaks of. As a fan, I would love to see a playoff, but I don't think I trust the NCAA to pull it off very well after the BCS fiasco. No matter what we get there would be complaining, so the best thing to do for now is just enjoy the games! Nothing like New Years Eve/Day with bowl games on.

About half of the bowl games are very pointless to even watch, theres generally less than half full stadiums at some of them.

I would make every "real" conference that doesnt already have a championship game create one, then create a seed order, and for teams like Notre Dame, tough shit you either join a conference or you dont get in.

until it has a playoff college football is fun to watch, but is also a total joke in terms of polls, standings, etc...

Can anyone tell me how many bowl games end up with teams (schools) LOSING MONEY in the end? Do your kids go to this school? Do you pay tuition to this school? Who's paying for the lost money in the end? Who's paying for the kids to have a good time in the end?

Think about it, do NCAA basketball programs lose money on their tournament? Do the b-ball players not get to sight-see? Do they have trouble recruiting off of an elite-8 or final four appearance?
I don't even see how the BCS can crown a "champion" when the team that wins the Championship Game only has to beat one, tough, non-conference opponent to get that title. And they only make it to that game based on the whim of sportswriters and a bunch of computers.

And I see a bad BCS game every time a Big-10 team plays an SEC team.
I didn't say a tournament would lose money. What I'm saying is that a tournament doesn't draw as much money.

In fact, you missed my arguement entirely. All post-season teams get to sight see and all that. But, with a playoff, there would be less post-season teams. And a winning bowl game is easier to recruit off of a losing bowl game, while a losing bowl game is still better than no bowl game.

The BCS is crowning a "champion" based on computer rankings (which account for a number of statistics) and the human polls opinion of the top two teams. Prior to that, it was purely based on opinions and you rarely had the top two teams play each other. The BCS, with all it's flaws, is still better than what we had prior to 1998.

As a fan of a school that would rarely, if ever, make a playoff, I love going to post-season bowls. And when we go, we fill a stadium. Our last bowl appearance set a Liberty Bowl crowd record.

I've never seen a bowl game with a half-empty stadium. It would be hard to get sponsors for a bowl game that's not good advertisement.

So, with your conference champions playoff, you'd rather see one school from every conference, than the top teams in the opinions of voters? The SEC west has 5 of the 6 teams in it's division ranked in the top 25 right now. Only one (assuming they win the SEC CG) of those teams deserves a shot over the winner of the MAC?

I can see it both ways, but I'm a bowl game guy. I like attending bowls, I like watching bowls, and it appeals to me much more than a playoff.

Besides, with a playoff, you people (what do you mean "you people", Non-SEC fans) will REALLY hate the SEC when a SEC team wins it EVERY year. As it is now, you can hope for another SEC team to beat the top team and knock them out of the BCS title game. :p

Can anyone tell me how many bowl games end up with teams (schools) LOSING MONEY in the end? Do your kids go to this school? Do you pay tuition to this school? Who's paying for the lost money in the end? Who's paying for the kids to have a good time in the end?
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a University in which the football program costs money.

Football is a revenue generator.

I don't see why they can't turn the big time BCS bowls into playoff games. Same name, same bowl, winner moves on to another bowl. Use the BCS rankings to get your top 8 and be done with it. The little bowls are consolation prizes, just like they already are.

I don't see why they can't turn the big time BCS bowls into playoff games. Same name, same bowl, winner moves on to another bowl. Use the BCS rankings to get your top 8 and be done with it. The little bowls are consolation prizes, just like they already are.

A 8 team playoff would require 7 games. You'd need to add two more BCS games, now 6 teams need to find another bowl.

I would almost be in favor of this, but I'd still want it based on rankings rather than conference champions. So, what's the point? You still have controversy on who should be in the playoff.

A 8 team playoff would require 7 games. You'd need to add two more BCS games, now 6 teams need to find another bowl.

I would almost be in favor of this, but I'd still want it based on rankings rather than conference champions. So, what's the point? You still have controversy on who should be in the playoff.
You'd still have the argument that the winner deserved to be there by defeating a "top 8" team, rather than being arbitrarily plopped there by defeating a slew of nobodies.

anyone remember that undefeated Hawaii team that got slammed by a 2 loss Georgia team? that was a great bowl game!

anyone remember that undefeated Hawaii team that got slammed by a 2 loss Georgia team? that was a great bowl game!
And yet, Georgia probably wouldn't have made a 8 team playoff of conference champions.

Did anyone think Utah would beat Alabama in 2008?

I can see it both ways, but no solution is much better, if at all, than what we have now. And unless you can significantly improve the situation, why change for the sake of change with no real improvement?

If you look at the elapsed time between the final conference championship game and the BCS NCG, there are enough weekends to hold a 64 team tournament. Then, not only would a lot of schools get the opportunity to play a postseason game, but the "lesser" bowl games would have a chance to get big name schools. It would probably generate MORE revenue than the current bowl system, and it would actually produce a viable champion, arguable moreso than basketball.

I've never seen a bowl game with a half-empty stadium. It would be hard to get sponsors for a bowl game that's not good advertisement.
Even though the bowl game is no more... ALOHA!

More attendance research than you can shake a stick at - Linky link.

:lmao:

DVINNY... Not that I can hit the road for the 12/4 Rutgers-WV game... but next year when you are playing in our house, you have an open invitation to join me here is NJ for the game...
You're a good man, I'll remember that next year.

If you want to take on the December weather down here, I'll be happy to take ya to this year's game in Motown.

I like RG's statement above, about using the conferences. If you had 5 super conferences, with at least 12 teams each, and a championship game, then that would produce 5 of your BCS teams out of at least 60 teams. That's a great 'first round' in my opinion. If a team can't win it's conference, it shouldn't get a national title.

Then, take 3 at large based on if they are ranked in top 10, etc. etc. You'd have 8 teams (4 games) name the games, the Orange, the Sugar, the Fiesta, and the Rose. Then, we already have a BCS National Championship game, so the only thing that would need added is the two games between the bowl winners.

This would give EVERY team in the nation the shot at a title, and only TWO games added.

FWIW,

I really like the current bowl set up, and wouldn't want to see it changed anymore drastic than what I just put above.

I honestly dont tune in to many of the bowl games, I admit I watch the "fake" national championship game, but the rest just dont have a lot of merrit IMO...

You'd have 8 teams (4 games) name the games, the Orange, the Sugar, the Fiesta, and the Rose. Then, we already have a BCS National Championship game, so the only thing that would need added is the two games between the bowl winners.This would give EVERY team in the nation the shot at a title, and only TWO games added.

I am a grad student at Michigan State. If this system were in place this year, my Spartans would have to fly south and win three games in consecutive weeks.

I don't think that's fair or feasible.

The only way I think it would be nearly equitable is if your added two BCS games were held in northern venues and I would never see that happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be at Neyland Stadium this weekend to see the Vols get crushed by Bama. My brother has season tickets and wanted me to go to this game, so I figured I'd head up to it. It's always fun tailgating and watchin' the college girls walking around! :40oz: :Banane20:

I'll be at Neyland Stadium this weekend to see the Vols get crushed by Bama. My brother has season tickets and wanted me to go to this game, so I figured I'd head up to it. It's always fun tailgating and watchin' the college girls walking around! :40oz: :Banane20:
I'll probably pass you on I-40. I'm heading down to Clemson for the GT game.

Back