Basement Finishing thread...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan to keep just enough glasses, pocorn bowls, spoons, etc downstairs to keep my wife ( ;) ) from having to take them up and down the stairs to wash them.... I plan on making good use of the bar... this is the type of entertaining I plan on doing:

1074643049_4qLLc-M-1.jpg

I need someone to sharpshoot my bar layout.
I'm looking at getting some pre-finished cabinets from Lowes (actually only three cabinets) and then framing up around them like so:

bar.jpg

I believe the cabinets have the proper spacing between them so doors and such will open, but should the dishwasher be on the left?

I was going to buy the three cabinets and then play with them like a jigsaw puzzle, but I'm trying to see any fatal flaws?
The dishwasher is in a good spot. If you had it on the left, you could run the risk of damage and/or injury if the washer door was hanging open and someone comes tearing around the corner. I've seen it happen.

I'm not sure what you're thinking about doing in your sink, but if it were me, I'd put a 24" cabinet there, have a single basin sink, pull the washer down, and put a twelver on the end with open shelving, or a rack, or whatever. I think it might just work out better for operating the dishwasher if you're not pinned in the corner, but I still wouldn't put it on the left.

Woodslinger's suggestions sound good. Also, if you don't want to build fully custom 12" deep base units, you could pretty easily use upper cabinets and either hang them on a cleat or build a toe kick for them. This might be especially handy if you're buying pre-finished cabinets from lowes since the finish will match perfectly. When I did a trapezoidal countertop and needed 45 degree angle base units, I used pre-finished upper cabinets and ripped them in half diagonally. It came out great.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats a good idea about the 24" base for the sink, I just need to make sure they have them, I dont plan on getting a huge sink so that would work.! Thanks

I had thought about buying wall cabinets and either cutting them, but I couldnt figure out how to do the doors? But what I then thought about was raising them so they would be the same height as the raised bar and wrap them around, maybe build up a kickplate or something but those cabinets add up, just the three I planned to buy is almost $600 bucks

That looks like MicroStation, and not AutoCAD.

Who does that? Honestly.

HEY....ME! And have since 1988. I have also turned many, many Autocad users into Microstation users over the years, and none have wanted to go back.

I agree the sink doesn't need to be as big as shown, a small sink will suffice. I have a tiny sink in my game room, and it's really only used as a hand wash station, which is used less and less as the evening goes on. lol

I haven't used Microstation or AutoCAD for about 6 years +, so to me, they are both crap now. :D

I'm old and out of touch

I had to beg to get it on my PC, I guess I am supposed to have people to do that, but I still like to be able to open the files and at least look around :D

^^^ Same here. I got a 'shared license' version. I can get on to look at stuff at like 3am when no one else is using it. I think those with a shared copy leave it up all day and night, so they don't lose it.

well room by room I am making some progress hopefully by the weekend I will have my Al Bundy bathroom finished (Toilet & Sink!)

IMG_3970.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3966.jpg

I put a "closet nook" in my bathroom just like what you have next to the tub. I was planning on building some shelves to put in there, but determined it would be a pain in the ass. I decided to buy some chrome wire shelves, and they fit perfectly.

the "nook" is for a cabinet that came withthe sink we bought (off craigslist) so I cut that out after the fact to have a place to put towels and such.. I wasnt really wild about doing it at first but it came out good and will provide some out of the way storage (since the sink cabinet) the wife got was what I call "fru-fru" and doesnt have a place to put the typical bathroom stuff, toilet paper, diesel fuel, etc..

& those little tiles, for what its worth, are NOT worth the trouble and money! You have to put a little thicker mortar underneath them to keep them at the same level as the floor and for something that should have been simple, was really just not worth the extra effort (& Those little squares were $10/ sheet (12" x 12") so thats $10/sf and the tile was $1.50 / SF.. wont mess with that again...

I am waiting on that last piece's of tile until I get the door in and then I am going to just tile up about 2 or 3 tiles and hope that it looks okay, but I need to have to door molding in to make sure it will match up..

God I hate doing molding!!!

I am ready to move on and finish the bar / kitchen but $$$$$ christmas is getting in the way!!!!

Back