Basement Finishing thread...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I am obvioulsy lagging behind, but my mudders came and taped everythign one day last week, then they are supposed to come back tomorrow to mud, I am hoping they can finish it this week, of course I aint really looking forward to painting... I'll try and get some updated pics (not scared) it did transform fairly nicely once all the sheetrock got finished!

I thought that wiring for the tv on the wall woudl have been easy, but it took me a couple hours to run all the hdmi, component cables, etc and try and make it look clean...

here are some post mud pics but these were taken before sanding.. after going through about 5 different no shows for the sheetrock finishing finally found a really good guy to mud & as an added benefit he spoke english!

I still have a long haul to go..I feel much further ahead with this out of the way, if you get bored and want to paint this weekend let me know ;)

103_0440.jpg

103_0438.jpg

103_0437.jpg

103_0434.jpg

103_0436.jpg

well i am almost through with the primer ( 2 weekends) I have been using a 12" roller and it really makes a huge difference in time (standard is 9") I tried using an 18" roller but its just not very effectice.. painting ceilings does suck, i'm doing 2 coats on the primer hoping it will save me some time when I paint the actual colors (assuming mrs road guy will hurry up and pick the damn colors out....)

My favorite primer for the ceiling is Sherwin-Williams Classic 90 (I believe that's what it is). I had some stains on my ceilings from previous owners and a single coat of this paint masked it and it's perfect white.

well just to prove I have worked on this project a little since the last update.. (3 kids playing baseball /softball will get in the way of your home improvement list)

these are the wifes colors btw

IMG_3894.jpg

IMG_3883.jpg

this pre-wired hang on the wall tv / surround sound shit has been more of a PIA than I thought..

stereo.jpg

bathroom tub/shower tile job, had a guy willing to do it for $200, would have been well worth the money...

tub2.jpg

another pic of same thing

IMG_3889.jpg

I wasnt wild about the two tone look but think it turned out okay..

IMG_3884.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
looking good. I would have paid the tile guy $200 without even blinking. Ceiling looks great.

I might be starting the whole process over again. My mom had me come over and sketch/measure their basement. I'm going to give them a CAD drawing of it so they can plan what they want. I hope they pay people to do most of it.

okay for the below photo, I kind of have a screw up, down at the bottom where the tile ends, I stopped the tile short so I could have room to put in the switch plate, but at the bottom I can either:

1.) Put in two really small pieces of tile next to edge of tub (near floor)

2.) Tile the grids marked on the wall over to where the door will be

3.) Tile the entire wall around the door

I think all three options will look bad, but cant figure out which will look the least bad? I am leaning towards Option No.2

tub2.jpg

I think option #2 with some bullnose tiles on the top edge would look the least bad. However, I would suggest measuring the trim around the door that you plan on putting there and stopping the tile where that trim will end. Otherwise, you are going to have to notch the trim around the tiles to get it to sit flush at the drywall.

yes I was actually thinking if I go with #2 to come back and do those tiles after I hung the door so I could butt it up right next to the trim

that little hole where the tub spout comes out, It took me 4 tries to get that hole to cut without cracking the tile.. with a $30 carbide tipped hole saw bit...

Note I havent done the wiring from my "free electrical help thread yet" :D

next Tuesday I have the folks coming to score and stain the concrete floors, I hope I am on the short path cause I am so so so freaking tired of working on this!

^- Dont ask questions like that!

Its on a GFI---- But I did get an electrical permit when I had the sub panel put in and it was in my "architectural" plans I developed on green graph paper......

That was another mistake, I wanted to get the permit on just the sub panel, but of course they took a look at everything in my damn house! Only reason I did it was when I did a previous basement at my old house, not as elaborate as this one, a lot of the potential buyers at the time didnt like that I had added onto the main box without pulling a permit, so this time I wanted to get that stupid sticker

My 0.02 on your tile dilemma is pretty much what Will said . Option 1. Put a row of bullnose tile and stop the tile where it is, or Option 2 tile to meet the door trim and finish any remainig exposed edges with bull nose.

good luck.

^- Dont ask questions like that!
Its on a GFI---- But I did get an electrical permit when I had the sub panel put in and it was in my "architectural" plans I developed on green graph paper......

That was another mistake, I wanted to get the permit on just the sub panel, but of course they took a look at everything in my damn house! Only reason I did it was when I did a previous basement at my old house, not as elaborate as this one, a lot of the potential buyers at the time didnt like that I had added onto the main box without pulling a permit, so this time I wanted to get that stupid sticker
I didn't get any of my basement permitted, but then again, I just added breakers to my existing panel (didn't need a sub).

Are the lights AND receptacle on a GFI? Is it the same circuit? The bath receptacles are required to be on a separate, 20 amp breaker from everything else, but multiple bathrooms can be wired to the same 20 amp breaker. But lights cannot be placed on that same circuit.

Back