Basement Finishing thread...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats a good idea about the 24" base for the sink, I just need to make sure they have them, I dont plan on getting a huge sink so that would work.! Thanks
I had thought about buying wall cabinets and either cutting them, but I couldnt figure out how to do the doors? But what I then thought about was raising them so they would be the same height as the raised bar and wrap them around, maybe build up a kickplate or something but those cabinets add up, just the three I planned to buy is almost $600 bucks

IKEA has 12-inch deep base cabinets.

well.. been doing a lot of caulking and molding, not much picture worthy... still havent decided on bar cabinets, but i think we have zereod in on IKEA...

I do have the bathroom finished (mostly) I have taken the toilet for a slow lap around the parking lot, but really havent gotten it out on the interstate if you know what i mean ;)

bath.JPG

well the basement bar cabinets came from IKEA today, I must be lucky today cause they came during my lunch hour!

HFS 56 boxes and two boxes of nothing but nuts & bolts,, this should be a lot of fun...

Actually, my experience with assembling Ikea stuff has been fun. It's very satisfying because it's fast and easy. But I have heard horror stories of not enough fasteners being included. That would send me into a blind rage pretty quickly.

here is my Ikea hell!

starting with.....

IMG_4418.jpg

and a little bit of....

IMG_4432.jpg

and yeah this is taking up more room than i thought.....

IMG_4438.jpg

so far only 1 return trip to Ikea :suicide1:

IMG_4439.jpg

and i know, should have hung the wall cabinets first.. yeah yeah....

Last edited by a moderator:
Just follow the easy to read instructions:

That is awesome.

The only Ikea problem I've had so far was my couch, since they printed a panel backwards and messed up on the install sequence.

with the bathroom completed that leaves only our basement to remodel, then the whole interior of the house has had a facelift. However, the basement will be troublesome as we have some water issues to deal with first. There is a door to backyard that is below grade and no amount of silicone has been able to stop water from leaking in while its raining. We know of two cracks/seeps in the walls. One in the crawl space and one other in main area behind the wall. we only know about it because the carpet gets wet during heavy rain periods. I'm sure once we take the paneling off we are apt to find more surprizes though.

It is a very ugly space and I have a hard time looking at it so I don't spend a lot of time down there other than to wash clothes.

it will never be as awesome as Road guys though!!! I love that floor but I know it wouldn't be practical in IL

with the bathroom completed that leaves only our basement to remodel, then the whole interior of the house has had a facelift. However, the basement will be troublesome as we have some water issues to deal with first. There is a door to backyard that is below grade and no amount of silicone has been able to stop water from leaking in while its raining. We know of two cracks/seeps in the walls. One in the crawl space and one other in main area behind the wall. we only know about it because the carpet gets wet during heavy rain periods. I'm sure once we take the paneling off we are apt to find more surprizes though.
It is a very ugly space and I have a hard time looking at it so I don't spend a lot of time down there other than to wash clothes.
I just saw them fix a below grade door in a basement on Holmes Inspection. They had to put in a floor drain outside of the door, pipe it underground through the house foundation, into a sump crock, and pump it out of the house with a sump pump. It looked expensive and time consuming.

I just saw them fix a below grade door in a basement on Holmes Inspection. They had to put in a floor drain outside of the door, pipe it underground through the house foundation, into a sump crock, and pump it out of the house with a sump pump. It looked expensive and time consuming.
there is a floor drain outside the door and it works. We check it for leaves/debris regularly and run the hose down it each spring/fall to make sure there isn't any build up in it.

the back of the house. We have debated adding a roof/awning thing over the step area to prevent water from direct contact, but there will still be blown in water.

We are going to go to a home/energy show at the end of the month...there are going to be several basement/foundation companies there.

the back of the house. We have debated adding a roof/awning thing over the step area to prevent water from direct contact, but there will still be blown in water.

We are going to go to a home/energy show at the end of the month...there are going to be several basement/foundation companies there.
My house has the same thing and the previous owners built a small roof over the stairwell It works great as I don't get any water in there at all.

snick, does the drain drain to the underdrain around the basement foundation or to a different point?

well sadly no photos but here's an update, baseball / softball season started last week and that really puts a damper on my productivity, plus lake season is a month away and I stressed over hanging sheetrock lask summer instead of hanging at the lake so I dont want to do that again.. need to finish!!!!

I have the bar framed out, plywood and hardibacker on and am ready to buy the tile, the tax issue thing is sort of side tracking me but I think I can pull some money out to buy the tile, we were going to go with a nicer granite (not black) for about $10/SF, but long thought has me thinking to just get the black granite tile at $3.00 / SF, with the bar overhang Ive got about 50 SF to put down, so I think I can steal $150 bucks somewhere..

My plan for the tile is to do the 24" section directly over the cabinets first and the backsplash, and then add the actual "bar" overhang (about 14") and then tile that in a second step? I dont know why but me thinks it will make putting it down a little easier? Mrs. RG wants me to do a 45^ angle pattern for the tile, but I F&(*&***n hate making all those angle cuts.. I agree it will look better but I keep telling her, its just a basement! and that the show on HGTV where they critique peoples basement bars is not coming by anytime soon to evaluate us...

I got the sink drain fixed up last weekend, I think i finally figured out the basic plumbing part, most important, just buy about 4 of every 1.5" fitting at the home depot and take back the extra's, when I did the bathroom vanity I must have made a dozen trips getting different gadgets and such...

Then I just have one room to carpet, stairs to carpet, and then buy some furniture. I am SO ready for it to be over with, I think this 1.5 years of me spending every weekend night working until 2 AM has taken a toll on me, and the kids, sadly I have left them to entertain themselves via Xbox while I try and finish this thing, it will be nice just to be able to "hang" but then this friend of mine came up with a great idea for Phase II to open up some of the unfished space left in my basement for a workout room / nice storage area.. but I dont even want to go there at this point!

snick, does the drain drain to the underdrain around the basement foundation or to a different point?
the previous owners said it meets up with the line from the sump pump somewhere under the back yard then heads to the creek out back in the trees. There are 2 pipes discharging to the creek, this one and the other is the gray water from our septic tank.

Back