Basement Finishing thread...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the inspector went through the basement wiring like I had stole money from his family so I assume its all good to go (cause you know those people never make a mistake!)

I WAS willing but after I kept getting rescheduled and reshceduled I just gave up and did it myself... I was also going to have him do the floor in the bathroom so it would be more economy of scale so it wasnt just a cheap job.

through this ordeal I have only used four subs, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and sheetrock mudding, finding the right person or someone who wasnt a worthless sack of shit has been the biggest pain in the ass

through this ordeal I have only used four subs, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and sheetrock mudding, finding the right person or someone who wasnt a worthless sack of shit has been the biggest pain in the ass
You got me by 1. I sub'd out plumbing, drywall, and carpet. I did the electrical and HVAC myself.

You got me by 1. I sub'd out plumbing, drywall, and carpet. I did the electrical and HVAC myself.
When I finished my basement, I contracted out drywall finishing and HVAC.

I had planned to do the HVAC myself (bought books and had everything designed) but ran into a guy who would do it for less than I could buy the materials.

The drywall finishing was the only thing that I knew I wouldn't be able to do as well as a pro. Everything else just takes knowledge to do right and practice to do fast.

Interestingly, carpet was the hardest trade to find good references for. This was the only applicable book I found. The writing and editing are very rough, but the guy knows his stuff and gets the point across.

I already knew framing, wiring, and interior finishing and bought books for things like tile, counter tops, cabinets, drywall, HVAC, and plumbing.

I had to put in a new hvac unit for the basement so I didnt want to tackle that solo!

I don't understand half of this thread, but 1. I like the colors! and 2. I vote for option 1 on the tub tile.

I had to put in a new hvac unit for the basement so I didnt want to tackle that solo!
Yeah, I probably would have used an electrician if I had to add a sub panel, and I even thought about using an HVAC contractor for the little bit of duct work i had to do...I definitely would have used one if I had to add a blower.

got most of the floors done the last two days, this is still wet and there putting a final layer of epoxy or something today to make look a little more polished, thought it turned out pretty well, now on to trim work, god i hate trim work!!!!!

I am hoping to get the bar built over turkey holiday (if I can scrap together some cashola)

IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3910.jpg

IMG_3909.jpg

IMG_3912.jpg

Is that just scored and finished concrete, or are those really huge tiles?

I really hope you have an air compressor and trim nail gun...otherwise, you are in for hell. I had a nail gun, and it still took me forever to do the trim work.

scored and finished concrete, need something indestructible :D the back room is going to be carpet though, need at least one soft surface down there.

its probably not going to be the best for the surround sound but such as it is... probably put a big ass rug down to help a little

I do have several nail guns and compressor, my plan is to do a little each day and not rush it and have to use a shitload of caulk (like I normally have to)

I'm thinking about having a finish carpenter come in and caulk my basement. I tried doing the silicone caulking around my tub, and made an unholy mess. I just don't have the touch required to do a good job. There was no way I was going to attempt to caulk all of my baseboards after my first experience.

I've made a mess of some caulking jobs as well but I've finally got it down. My early work looks disastrous and my basement bathroom ended up passable with some sloppiness but by the time it came to do my kitchen counters and tile backsplash, I had figured out that the secret is to use as small of a bead as you can. I used a 1/16" - 1/8" bead and it ended up looking fantastic.

By the way, Road Guy, that floor looks sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
the floor looks nice. if we lived in a warmer climate I might have proposed that to mr snick for when we redo the basement...but during winter that wouldn't work out so well.

I need someone to sharpshoot my bar layout.

I'm looking at getting some pre-finished cabinets from Lowes (actually only three cabinets) and then framing up around them like so:

bar.jpg

I believe the cabinets have the proper spacing between them so doors and such will open, but should the dishwasher be on the left?

I was going to buy the three cabinets and then play with them like a jigsaw puzzle, but I'm trying to see any fatal flaws?

Back