April 2021 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Running through solutions even in my sleep.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but those dreams still happen years after you PASS the exam.
I'm 6+ years out and I still get them every so often.

I will be focusing on sports and exercise for the next 30 days......
Good plan!

So I know it’s a futile exercise, but what are you guys thinking with regards to release date? Late May? Early June?
I'm thinking the week of May 31. So around June 3rd, to be specific.
If we look at previous April releases* then we usually see a release just shy of six weeks. I'd agree with the week of May 31st, and that's what I'm "preparing" for wrt release day stuff like map making. The 31st is Memorial Day so it'll be June 1st or beyond.

*I'm referring to releases when there wasn't a cut score meeting required for an exam during that administration. Those meetings historically delayed things a bit. It was only CE exams this session, and none of them are new, so no cut score meeting is required.

The only wrinkle is that the January administration was only CE exams too. And it released after 21 days. Now I'm not expecting anything to come out next Friday, but it wouldn't shock me either. I have no special inside knowledge on how NCEES conducts it's post-exam and pre-release activities. I don't know how much of that work schedule scales with the number of takers and exam locations vs things with a set duration. If it's all the latter then maybe three weeks is the new norm. However I suspect its a function of #of examinees, or rather a function of the number of investigations into misconduct - which is a function of the number of examinees.

tl;dr Probably beginning of June.

This isn't specific to civil/structural. Here's Dr. Tom, one of the major online PE course instructors, telling people that they should take the Thermal Fluids ME exam because it's the easiest and it doesn't matter after you pass.

I made an "A" in fluids....now you're making me think. Stop making me think! Thinking is dangerous :ROFLMAO:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but those dreams still happen years after you PASS the exam.
I'm 6+ years out and I still get them every so often.
Wow I thought I was the only one!!! I'm 10 years out and get those dreams now and again, coupled with the I have a final exam tomorrow for a college course I never went to. 😓

^ Yep! They never leave. almost 15 yrs after passing here and I still have nightmares about that or having to retake it

If we look at previous April releases* then we usually see a release just shy of six weeks. I'd agree with the week of May 31st, and that's what I'm "preparing" for wrt release day stuff like map making. The 31st is Memorial Day so it'll be June 1st or beyond.

*I'm referring to releases when there wasn't a cut score meeting required for an exam during that administration. Those meetings historically delayed things a bit. It was only CE exams this session, and none of them are new, so no cut score meeting is required.

The only wrinkle is that the January administration was only CE exams too. And it released after 21 days. Now I'm not expecting anything to come out next Friday, but it wouldn't shock me either. I have no special inside knowledge on how NCEES conducts it's post-exam and pre-release activities. I don't know how much of that work schedule scales with the number of takers and exam locations vs things with a set duration. If it's all the latter then maybe three weeks is the new norm. However I suspect its a function of #of examinees, or rather a function of the number of investigations into misconduct - which is a function of the number of examinees.

tl;dr Probably beginning of June.
I'm thinking that the reason why the release date came earlier than expected for January is because there were less test takers. That's my assumption. In the grand scheme of things, there are less P&P test takers over all, but the usual amount of CE test takers.

So to preoccupy myself during my off work hours and to gather valuable info on good study habits/prep vs bad I created 2 surveys to analyze April 2021 test taker data. One for those who passed to take and an exact copy for those who didn't pass to take so we can compare side by side numbers. That and survey monkey limits you to 10 questions. If anyone would like to proof read or give some input let me know:)

In addition to that I'm getting comfortable with the idea that October is a real possibility and got a calendar where I'm going to plan out a study plan with realistic study times, breaks and off days/times for great NFL or NCAA football games. Lastly, reaching out to each respective course to ask if I can preemptively hold a seat for their live class till results come out and withdraw if needed, how their pass guarantee works with October being the last P&P and the next being CBT and how it'll rework their program, and if you miss a live lecture will the class be available to watch later. I understand this is a little early but right now I'm not sleeping at night due to anxiety and figured I'm busy in June, when I'd need to make my game plan since courses start in July, and would be emotionally too drained to want to think about starting over so use my time now to be honest with myself and be ready.

So to preoccupy myself during my off work hours and to gather valuable info on good study habits/prep vs bad I created 2 surveys to analyze April 2021 test taker data. One for those who passed to take and an exact copy for those who didn't pass to take so we can compare side by side numbers. That and survey monkey limits you to 10 questions. If anyone would like to proof read or give some input let me know:)

In addition to that I'm getting comfortable with the idea that October is a real possibility and got a calendar where I'm going to plan out a study plan with realistic study times, breaks and off days/times for great NFL or NCAA football games. Lastly, reaching out to each respective course to ask if I can preemptively hold a seat for their live class till results come out and withdraw if needed, how their pass guarantee works with October being the last P&P and the next being CBT and how it'll rework their program, and if you miss a live lecture will the class be available to watch later. I understand this is a little early but right now I'm not sleeping at night due to anxiety and figured I'm busy in June, when I'd need to make my game plan since courses start in July, and would be emotionally too drained to want to think about starting over so use my time now to be honest with myself and be ready.
I've been working on positive thinking even if I fail. So, I was utterly destroyed mentally and emotionally last time because I didn't allow myself to think about failing. I failed and it wore me out. Eventually, with therapy, exercise, and meditation, I picked myself up, dusted myself off, built up my confidence again, and prepared. I sat for the exam, left it all out there in the exam room, and I'm still here... not much I can do now.

But this time, I just want to fail forward. If I'm going to fail, I just want to do better than I did the first time on the exam. Think of it that way... you're not starting over, but picking up from where you left off and going farther than before.

Fail forward.
Failure to try is the only failure there is. Keep going.

(Can you see that I'm in this weird "doubt/acceptance of an outcome I don't have yet" phase?)

I had a dream (nightmare!) a month before the exam that I walked in and I didn't know it was an open book test. I had no crate, no books, nothing!

Two nights ago, I had a dream that I saw the results and I failed miserably!

So if the first didn't come true, the second shouldn't come true either!

I've been working on positive thinking even if I fail. So, I was utterly destroyed mentally and emotionally last time because I didn't allow myself to think about failing. I failed and it wore me out. Eventually, with therapy, exercise, and meditation, I picked myself up, dusted myself off, built up my confidence again, and prepared. I sat for the exam, left it all out there in the exam room, and I'm still here... not much I can do now.

But this time, I just want to fail forward. If I'm going to fail, I just want to do better than I did the first time on the exam. Think of it that way... you're not starting over, but picking up from where you left off and going farther than before.

Fail forward.

(Can you see that I'm in this weird "doubt/acceptance of an outcome I don't have yet" phase?)
the only reason i said starting over is i knew a lot of things well but when they approached said topic from another angle i felt myself falling flat. I don't want to throw the knowledge i got from round 1 away but i also don't want to look at a problem and go well you can answer it this way which is easier when the exam might block out the easier approach and see if you know another method.

A buddy of mine gave me another programs material and worked through half of the curves and found myself questioning their methods to addressing the curve problems saying theres a more direct way. Now looking back they most likely went in an odd way to show me work arounds for missing pieces even thou they were already given.

It's kind of like i don't want to be ignorant to new knowledge because I have other knowledge that works too.

Fail forward.
YES. I don't event want to admit how many times I got the evil red FAIL...I still have heartburn and night sweats to this day!

You already have a winner's mindset @civilrobot, I'm gonna burn some sage for ya! 🕯️ (You do make a good point though, I crawled up 2-5 points each attempt so...that's good. First attempt was 35/80...so, beat that with a stick)

@Tmanwatery I understand. One significant gift that my extended break afforded me was the opportunity to look at problems with fresh eyes. I opened my mind to learn and understand a concept rather than memorize how to solve one type of problem a particular way. For example, the bearing stress equation. I practiced about 5 different variations of these problems until I understood the concept. During my first attempt, I focused on memorizing how to do one type of problem with a picture that looked exactly like the one in the problem I practiced and that was it.

Just like you described, that doesn't work for this exam. You have to understand what's being asked, identify the equation (if applicable), and then understand how to apply it based on what's in front of you. The good folks here said it over and over again, but I didn't know what it meant until I failed, and took the time to reassess.

I made that mental shift after taking a much needed break. I was also given some additional problems and that really changed things for me. EET is great, but some of us need to be forced out of a comfort zone with the same kind of problems. I am one of the few who needed the extra boost.

How on earth did people not remember where they sat?? We had numbered seats. I was damned sure I was going back to MY table. Ha!
When we returned from lunch, I felt like I had been working in that room for 50 years. I made a natural beeline to my seat. Not sure what was going on in that location. lol

I had a dream (nightmare!) a month before the exam that I walked in and I didn't know it was an open book test. I had no crate, no books, nothing!

Two nights ago, I had a dream that I saw the results and I failed miserably!

So if the first didn't come true, the second shouldn't come true either!

A couple of months before the exam, I had a dream that I was on a scavenger hunt for problems. I was given a clue, then I had to go to a house in my neighborhood, on foot, and ask the homeowner where I can go in their house to solve the problem. Then there was a clue to about the next problem with an address. I had to go to the next address, read the problem and solve it. I got to one house and there was somebody in front of me taking a really long time on the problem and I was getting nervous because I was running out of time.

I had to skip it and go to the next house and try to make time to go back to the house I skipped. And yes, we had on masks in my dream and for some reason, my daughter was with me. So I'm holding her hand, and trying to get to these houses that were about a half block to half mile away from each other. I will never forget that "dream"...more like a nightmare. I never shared it here because I felt like it was just way too early. lol

Back