April 2019 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel pretty sure I got to 56, but the wait is going to kill me.
I feel the same.  I’ve gone through the problems, as best as I can recall, dozens of times and can’t find a maximum miss number greater than 24.  

Makes me nervous about the traps NCEES sets though.

I feel the same.  I’ve gone through the problems, as best as I can recall, dozens of times and can’t find a maximum miss number greater than 24.  

Makes me nervous about the traps NCEES sets though.
They are some tricksters for sure.

Am I in the right place to mope for 6-8 weeks?
Yes, but the wait is longer in PA.

Depends on statistical factors that will not be shared with the masses.  I would assume 52-56 but there are no guarantees.
Not that it matters, but we've seen it as high as 57. The lowest we've seen is around 51-52; it could be lower is you believe the Texas extrapolations. hint: don't

Truer words have never been spoken.
If I passed, will never use 80-90 % of material again.  @RBHeadge PE with regards to your reply, even more so for me, primary focus of my job is corrosion control, so only really relevant topic is project management.

Thinking about it mix of Phase 2/3/4.

There is a college library I pass on my home from work, used it for studying. Last night, I slowed down to look for parking near it.

Not that it matters, but we've seen it as high as 57. The lowest we've seen is around 51-52; it could be lower is you believe the Texas extrapolations. hint: don't
Looking at the last test, I didn't see anyone that failed with anything higher than a 49, that seemed pretty low.  The cut was much higher for the past tests though.  I assume the cut score is different for each concentration for civils?  I often wonder if they scale the AM the same for everyone, then scale the PM separate, or if they scale both AM and PM together as one for each concentration.

Not that it matters I guess.

Weirdest dream last night. I took the online PE test (in my dreams). The results said - You have cleared Level 1 of the PE exam. 4 more levels to go!!!😰

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel  good about both portions. Really good about the Am I'm thinking 35/40 plus or minus a few and pretty good about the PM about 30/40 plus or minus a few. but apparently it could be a bad thing to feel good about the exam lol  so now im entering the twilight zone of second guessing everything. 😓 This is my second try so i really want to be done with it. 

Ive been in Phase 2 since exam day. I know i answered at least 60 correct. Out of the 20 remaining, I know I missed 5 for sure. I figured out the correct answers after the exam. The remaining 15 can go either way.

This will be a long 6-8wks, but it beats having to sacrifice evenings and weekends studying. I took Transportation.
Newbie here. Took Transportation. AM was more straightforward than I thought. Hopefully at least 30.

PM was tougher than I thought. I was stuck on a few questions and when I looked at the clock it's 3 hours and I only have 25 answered. When the clock turned to 3:59 I need to guess around 7-8 of them. Based on the other replies, I am already planning for October and have asked my references to prepare sending experience forms again.

I took the PPI course offered by the state NSPE chapter. I felt underprepared for the PM even after I did the entire 6-minute problems book and the official practice exam. I feel like there wasn't much resources to practice Transportation depth. It sounds like EEI is better with the depth disciplines.

We shall see.

Looking at the last test, I didn't see anyone that failed with anything higher than a 49, that seemed pretty low. 

I assume the cut score is different for each concentration for civils?  I often wonder if they scale the AM the same for everyone, then scale the PM separate, or if they scale both AM and PM together as one for each concentration.
Each session is different.  While its possible that the cut score for a certain test last session was ~50, we didn't get a lot of data either, so I'm not sure i believe that number.

I would expect each of the concentration exams to have a different cut score. However I would expect the AM portions to contribute the same minimal competency score to each discipline; so the PM minimum competency acore would vary for each concentration. Thus the overall  cut score would be a little different.

But, no it doesn't matter. What's done is done. Ideally though, examinees should have been prepared enough to score a sufficiently high score that quibbling over the difference between 50-57 doesn't matter.

Weirdest dream last night. I took the online PE test (in my dreams). The results said - You have cleared Level 1 of the PE exam. 4 more levels to go!!!😰
Those dreams never quite go away. I passed almost five years ago and I still get one of those dreams occasionally. 

I noticed in the October 2018 welcome to the suck thread that there was mention of a new exam that would delay results.  Do we know if there was a new exam in this past session?

Looking at the last test, I didn't see anyone that failed with anything higher than a 49, that seemed pretty low.  The cut was much higher for the past tests though.  I assume the cut score is different for each concentration for civils?  I often wonder if they scale the AM the same for everyone, then scale the PM separate, or if they scale both AM and PM together as one for each concentration.

Not that it matters I guess.
From what I understand (not all that much probably) the AM "scale" is set for everybody taking the AM for minimal competency. If that is 25 problems right out of 40 then its 25 problems right for everyone. Then the PM "scale" will be different for each discipline. So if Structural minimum competency is 25, Geotech is 26, Transportation is 27, etc. then the cut score for each discipline would be 50, 51, 52 respectively.

I just recently took PE Civil Transportation for the 3rd time

I think I’m at phase 2.  I was more confident with morning than the afternoon.  And I’m already predicting result timeframe.

i think the thing that bothered me the most was this test taker next to me talking over codes out loud.

First time test taker (WRE).

In general the morning  session was on par with most of the practice problems I had worked (NCEES, SOPE, etc.). There were a few more conceptual problems than I would have liked to see and I still think at least one of them had multiple correct answers. I also didn’t see as many water questions as I would have liked. I confidently answered 28-30 in the first 2 hours. I spent the remaining time working the others and ended up making educated guesses on 4-6. Based on my current “post-test analysis” (which I seem to revisit every other night) I likely got around 29-31 correct.

The afternoon was going well for the first 2 hours. I probably worked through 25 problems confidently and read every problem at least once. My second pass probably took 45 minutes and left me with about 10 unanswered questions. At this point I think I was mentally exhausted because a few of the problems that were left should have been 2-3 minutes but I was looking in all the wrong places. These are problems that I hadn’t seen before on any of my practice exams but were not super complicated (although at that point they were reading as if they were in a foreign language). I ended up guessing on about 5 or 6. 

Since the exam I have probably spent 3-4 hours solving and trying to find answers to the problems I could recall. Based on this I am thinking I answered around 55-60 correctly, so it could go either way. 

We shall find out on May 24th at 3:00 PM.

:)  

First time test taker (WRE).

In general the morning  session was on par with most of the practice problems I had worked (NCEES, SOPE, etc.). There were a few more conceptual problems than I would have liked to see and I still think at least one of them had multiple correct answers. I also didn’t see as many water questions as I would have liked. I confidently answered 28-30 in the first 2 hours. I spent the remaining time working the others and ended up making educated guesses on 4-6. Based on my current “post-test analysis” (which I seem to revisit every other night) I likely got around 29-31 correct.

The afternoon was going well for the first 2 hours. I probably worked through 25 problems confidently and read every problem at least once. My second pass probably took 45 minutes and left me with about 10 unanswered questions. At this point I think I was mentally exhausted because a few of the problems that were left should have been 2-3 minutes but I was looking in all the wrong places. These are problems that I hadn’t seen before on any of my practice exams but were not super complicated (although at that point they were reading as if they were in a foreign language). I ended up guessing on about 5 or 6. 

Since the exam I have probably spent 3-4 hours solving and trying to find answers to the problems I could recall. Based on this I am thinking I answered around 55-60 correctly, so it could go either way. 

We shall find out on May 24th at 3:00 PM.

:)  
Was the question on the AM you thought had multiple possible answers, a question with multiple statements given and then asking you which of those statements were true?

Good synopsis. So I guess the differences is due to difficulty variations? Any repeat takers confirm the 56 year was harder than the 52 year? I guess I will be able to contribute when Texas gives me my score.

(Civil-Structural)

Did anyone take the architectural engineering PE?
Didn't know there was such a thing? What the hell are the subjects?

Back