5 k thread fall 09 results version

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I just wanted to ask a question.

If babies cannot be banned from commercial flights, can anyone be banned from driving on snow/ice?

I also believe babies are banned from operating airplanes in the snow/ice as well...

Yeah, normally snow is not a problem. Unfortunately, it got just warm enough to make the roads a little slushy last night so consequently the highways were an ice skating rink this morning.
The big problem with driving in this weather is not so much the weather itself, but more of the idiots who don't know what the hell they're doing. There are 3 types of drivers encountered:

1-The ones that assume that because they have AWD/4WD they are invincible and attempt to drive the speed limit.

2-The seasoned guys who know how to take it slow, but can still keep moving (we need more of these)

3-The "white knuckled" idiots who set their cruise control at idle and crawl at a painfully slow pace.

What ends up happening usually is that the white-knuckled idiots clog up traffic so bad that nothing moves, then the invincible speed demons end up crashing because they're too busy dodging the slow guys, and end up collecting the seasoned guys who just happened to be waiting for the slow pokes to move. Meanwhile, the slowpokes manage to dodge everything and completely miss the fact that their stupidity caused the whole thing.

I can understand driving with caution, in fact I actually applaud it, but there becomes a point when people drive with too much caution and end up creating more problems than they were trying to avoid.

IF YOU'RE NOT COMFORTABLE DRIVING IN THE SNOW/ICE, STAY THE FUCK OFF OF THE ROADS!!!! Stay home and find a parking lot to practice if you need to learn how to drive (like when you got your learner's permit)

[/rant]
:appl: Well said. BTW, I classify as #2 most of the time, #1 some of the time.
that is a nice compilation.

looks like the road crews ran out of sand today? driving on packed snow is OK for me, but I was kinda surprised.

:appl: Well said. BTW, I classify as #2 most of the time, #1 some of the time.
that is a nice compilation.

looks like the road crews ran out of sand today? driving on packed snow is OK for me, but I was kinda surprised.
Thx. I think the real problem is that because the slow pokes don't realize they're causing these problems, they never see a reason to drive differently. If they ever DO see a wreck, it just reinforces the perception they need to drive insanely slow (if not slower). How can you teach someone who doesn't know they need to learn?

I just need to install one of those heavy duty cattle guards across the front of my truck and just start pushing people...

I also believe babies are banned from operating airplanes in the snow/ice as well...
airplanes on conveyor belts?
That introduces a whole other issue of getting the conveyor belt to work in the snow/ice

Last edited:
BTW, I think I'm more of a 1.5. I know how to drive in the snow/ice, but sometimes I catch myself going a little faster than I need to. I've only wrecked once in the snow, but it was because the car in front of me break-checked me going into a big corner (one of the #3 idiots), so I had lost traction as I entered the corner. That car just kept on driving, completly oblivious to the fact I was upside-down in the ditch behind him. Dick.

On a related note: it is completely possible to flip a Mitsu. Eclipse going only 30 mph.

So, I just wanted to ask a question.
If babies cannot be banned from commercial flights, can anyone be banned from driving on snow/ice?

Hey...we can't ban 25 year old, Muslim extremists that had a father go to the government to warn them about his son, and had explosives in his crotchal area from a flight....there's no way we could ban babies.

Now 50 year old women, you may never fly again!

Thx. I think the real problem is that because the slow pokes don't realize they're causing these problems, they never see a reason to drive differently. If they ever DO see a wreck, it just reinforces the perception they need to drive insanely slow (if not slower). How can you teach someone who doesn't know they need to learn?
They've never had an accident, but they've seen a lot of them in their rearview mirror.

I need to invest in a punching bag.
The Perfect Pushup is a great alternative. They're only $20-30 and they take up almost no space at all.

I want to hit something. This would be primarily for stress relief and channeling my anger into something that doesn't break when I hit it (costing me money in the process). The secondary benefit would be cardiovascular endurance.

I would suggest getting a retired display cell phone. They are great for throwing across the room, they don't work so you don't have to worry about breaking them, and they're portable. Just put one in your pocket and you have a mobile stress releif station. It's also effective if you have annoying co-workers who won't leave you alone, as you can just pick it up and start talking into it as a decoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back