5 k thread fall 09 results version

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perception is a funny thing. I walk into a place and see a bunch of suits, I think, "Man, this is gonna cost me. I'm going somewhere else." But to a banker, the opposite may be true.
Guess you have to know your audience.
Would you hire a lawyer that wasn't wearing a suit?

Perception is a funny thing. I walk into a place and see a bunch of suits, I think, "Man, this is gonna cost me. I'm going somewhere else." But to a banker, the opposite may be true.
Guess you have to know your audience.
Would you hire a lawyer that wasn't wearing a suit?
Yeah. I would, and I have for a real estate closing. Paid 400 bucks for closing, so I guess the perception was spot on.

But that was for a specific instance. If I needed a trial lawyer, it may be different. I'd still be inclined to go with the less flashy one, though, but that's me. That's why I said it is important to know your audience.

Yeah. I would, and I have for a real estate closing. Paid 400 bucks for closing, so I guess the perception was spot on.
But that was for a specific instance. If I needed a trial lawyer, it may be different. I'd still be inclined to go with the less flashy one, though, but that's me. That's why I said it is important to know your audience.
Real Estate Closing <> Trial by Jury

Subject change:

Why are dress shoes designed for people who *never* seem to go outside? I park on the top deck of the building's parking garage (even with the building's main entrance), and during the winter there is an endless supply of snow and ice. Consequently, most of the people I see parking up here end up slipping at one point or another (not always completely falling), and each of them are wearing dress shoes. When I went into Dillards over the weekend to pickup a new pair of work shoes, ALL of the dress shoes offered little to no traction, and very few of them were even had a rubber sole. Why the hell is there not a market for "winter" dress shoes (especially in places that actually experience winter)?

Subject change:
Why are dress shoes designed for people who *never* seem to go outside? I park on the top deck of the building's parking garage (even with the building's main entrance), and during the winter there is an endless supply of snow and ice. Consequently, most of the people I see parking up here end up slipping at one point or another (not always completely falling), and each of them are wearing dress shoes. When I went into Dillards over the weekend to pickup a new pair of work shoes, ALL of the dress shoes offered little to no traction, and very few of them were even had a rubber sole. Why the hell is there not a market for "winter" dress shoes (especially in places that actually experience winter)?
Dress shoes <> rubber sole. Real dress shoes have a leather sole so that they can be replaced multiple times without having to buy new shoes. I actually have the opposite problem when I go shopping for dress shoes. I want leather soles, and usually all I can find are cheap-ass rubber/plastic soled shoes.

Dude, was that morse code?
Braille.

If you can read it, you'll shit bricks.

Dress shoes <> rubber sole. Real dress shoes have a leather sole so that they can be replaced multiple times without having to buy new shoes. I actually have the opposite problem when I go shopping for dress shoes. I want leather soles, and usually all I can find are cheap-ass rubber/plastic soled shoes.
I should correct myself by saying business casual-type dress shoes. The type of shoes worn for a 9-5 office environment. I have a pair of really nice shoes which do have the leather soles. I wouldn't dare wear those to work. The only reason I have them is for when I wore my suit (my wedding, job interviews, funerals).

Last edited:
Subject change:
I hear ya. I found a pair of Red Wing shoes with a decent sole on them that I wear. However, on days that it is actually snowing, I wear Solomon snow clogs or a pair of dress boot. Have you thought about keeping the dress shoes in the office, wearing something with a sole on it to get to work, then changing when you get there?

My cobbler re-soled one of my pairs of Johnston & Murphy shoes with some kind of rubber sole/heel combo thing. I could have killed him. It's about completely worn out now, and I can't wait to get a proper sole back on them.

Real Estate Closing <> Trial by Jury
Never said it was. And you didn't specify.

My office shoes used to be Lacrosse Icemans (ice fishing boot) this time of year. What i wore from home to work was more befitting of an office shoe. Then in the warm months, docksiders to work, steel toed work boots as my office shoe.

My office shoes used to be Lacrosse Icemans (ice fishing boot) this time of year. What i wore from home to work was more befitting of an office shoe. Then in the warm months, docksiders to work, steel toed work boots as my office shoe.
I used to wear steel toed boots to my "office." But then again, that office was a triple-wide construction trailer on the side of the highway we were reconstructing. I don't really miss not wearing those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back