5 k thread fall 09 results version

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning from the far side of the Earth! Weather's nice, but I hear that the nastiness of this year's winter may be invading us soon - cold front from Japan pushing south toward us.
Is it going to make it all the way down to 60?
Extremely unlikely, but that would be cool if it did! The lowest I ever saw was a 66 on someone's wrist watch thermometer once during a typhoon, but a meteorologist I know in Guam said that was pretty much impossible - it never drops below 70 around here.

I just got back from walking the dog in 12 degree weather. 70 sounds pretty damn good to me right now. Not good enough to deal with the politics in your locale though.

Extremely unlikely, but that would be cool if it did! The lowest I ever saw was a 66 on someone's wrist watch thermometer once during a typhoon, but a meteorologist I know in Guam said that was pretty much impossible - it never drops below 70 around here.
How hot does it get? I don't deal with the hot very well.

Theoretically it only gets up to about 86-89, but in heavily developed areas my car's temp. sensor has read up to 99.

We're actually in the Guinness Book of World Records for the most "equitable" temperature on Earth - meaning the least seasonal and daily change. There are seasonal differences, though, I think primarily related to humidity and wind. In the winter it's relatively dry and breezy - very nice. In the summer it can get super-humid and still, and then it feels terrible.

I used to hate the heat, too, but I've gotten used to it. Now I can't stand the cold. :dunno:

^^ My sister and I were in North Miss. this past weekend; one evening it was in the 30's. She remarked how her toleration of cold had changed from living in New Orleans for the past twenty-seven years. I think you do become acclimated. I mean, we grew up tolerating those cold winters.

You also become acclimated to humidity. Whenever I visit my home of Denver, CO, I feel like I'm drying up - my hands crack, I get nose bleeds, chapped lips, etc. Humid air feels so good to me now. It used to make me feel sick.

I can't stand moderate or high heat with high humidity, but my skin also cracks in cold weather with low humidity. If I walk outside on a humid day, I start sweating just standing there...and I'm not sure I want to become acclimated to it.

I think you're right about that too Dleg. I noticed that I used more hand lotion up there. It's only a couple of hundred miles north but I can still tell the difference.

The water is a lot harder too, and it tastes better.

Last edited by a moderator:
You also become acclimated to humidity. Whenever I visit my home of Denver, CO, I feel like I'm drying up - my hands crack, I get nose bleeds, chapped lips, etc. Humid air feels so good to me now. It used to make me feel sick.
Speaking of Denver, we hit 40 degrees and about 8% humidity. Anything over 30% just feels soggy. Average temp for the week has been about 30 degrees.

Before air conditioning, you had to keep an eye out for mold growing on your shoes. Seriously.

^I remember the first "possession" I bought when I moved out here -a "Risk" board game I shared with a friend. When you move to a place like this you usually come with the intention f staying a year or two and then leaving, hence you typically don't buy anything like that, so it was a big deal. He left it in his non-airconditioned house and the next time we took it out, about two weeks later, the playing board had molded over and warped so badly that it was totally ruined.

I was so sad.

(it was probably also due to all the spilled and spattered beer on the board)

we really don't need bath towels. you're dry in about 2 minutes without one.

Yeah, and you hardly even sweat in the summer. You just get crusty with salt.

My wife says I am getting anxiety attacks due to the massive honey do list I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back