2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 I would think most all of Florida is a High Risk State - When I go visit my parents (they live in Dunedin) every aisle of the Publix has at least 4 of those little cart things on them - probably not a good outlook for them -  I think they tracked down 3 lawyers at a convention in NY that gave it to 75 people last week or something...

we gave a big eye roll to our dutch neighbors (who work from home, never drive anywhere) walking to the mailbox wearing some masks - I almost had to restrain the wife since they are talking "mask sharing" at her job - we have agreed that if the run out of masks and gloves she doesnt go in - and i hope all of healthcare does that - I know the military is sitting on a metric shit ton of them..

PREPARE FOR SOME 3RD HAND DOCTORING/POSSIBLE FAKE NEWS HERE:

I was in an unrelated meeting this morning with a state official with a title that used most letters of the alphabet.  He shared that he had just come from a conference about the virus.  He was told the following in an official capacity:

1) The virus doesn't live on your skin more than 4-6 min.  

2) If you are sneezed/coughed/vomited on, your not guaranteed to get it or pass it on to anyone if your RNA isn't right.  You won't get it even then unless you move said bodily fluid to an orifice (ie with your hand to your mouth).

3) The virus cant live at temps above 78F.  If you get it, don't take meds to reduce fever and do take long hot showers because the virus lives in the coldest part of your lungs and the hotter you can get that, the quicker it dies.

4) Once outside temps hit 80F, this is over due to number 3 above.

Take or leave it, but thats what he said and hes the closest I've been to someone in person that claims to know something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got this tidbit from a local nurse who was briefed after her location was used to quarantine 2 of the cases in Alaska:

IF in self quarantine / monitoring status, take your temperature every morning as soon as you get up. If you are below 100*, go about your day while maintaining 6' minimum distance from others and avoid crowds greater than 10 people. If you are above 100*, start isolation procedures and test again in 2 hours; if still above 100*, fully isolate yourself from others, monitor for other symptoms and call your doctor.

PREPARE FOR SOME 3RD HAND DOCTORING/POSSIBLE FAKE NEWS HERE:

I was in an unrelated meeting this morning with a state official with a title that used most letters of the alphabet.  He shared that he had just come from a conference about the virus.  He was told the following in an official capacity:

1) The virus doesn't live on your skin more than 4-6 min.  

2) If you are sneezed/coughed/vomited on, your not guaranteed to get it or pass it on to anyone if your RNA isn't right.  You won't get it even then unless you move said bodily fluid to an orifice (ie with your hand to your mouth).

3) The virus cant live at temps above 78F.  If you get it, don't take meds to reduce fever and do take long hot showers because the virus lives in the coldest part of your lungs and the hotter you can get that, the quicker it dies.

4) Once outside temps hit 80F, this is over due to number 3 above.

Take or leave it, but thats what he said and hes the closest I've been to someone in person that claims to know something.

For #4... it's late summer in Australia with temps in the mid- to high-80s and it seems to be spreading there.

I like how IT is all, "Oh, there are lots of things you can do without VPN." Yeah, except, you know...access your work files on the network...which is KIND OF THE WHOLE POINT.
'Murican's don't really get the whole WFH thing, it seems. It's just one of those things that we haven't really adopted a whole lot yet.

On a related note...my area just had its first COVID-19-related death. $h1t just got real...

i will not be able to work from home with all these people in the house. fuck this shit...

Market Basket just released the Elderly Hours.

530-7am.

My Gram started laughing hysterically at that

I really thought working from home would give me more free time. Participate on EB more, maybe get in some day gaming, relax, etc. WRONG!!! With the same amount of work, plus more distractions, and struggles with my setup (transferring files, VPN issues, etc), I've had WAY less time to do anything good. I missed a whole day of EBing yesterday.

And of course my wife and I had an argument involving work from home expectations after I told her "no I'm working" when she asked for something. (My fault; I didn't answer with the appropriate tone.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Market Basket just released the Elderly Hours.

530-7am.

My Gram started laughing hysterically at that
Wait, they assume that all elderly folks wake up at that time? Profiling!!! :p

I really thought working from home would give me more free time. Participate on EB more, maybe get in some day gaming, relax, etc. WRONG!!! With the same amount of work, plus more distractions, and struggles with my setup (transferring files, VPN issues, etc), I've had WAY less time to do anything good. I missed a whole day of EBing yesterday.

And of course my wife and I had an argument involving work from home expectations after I told her "no I"m working" when she asked for something. (My fault; I didn't answer with the appropriate tone.)
Unfortunately I've been having the same problem with my family. I think the whole ordeal is stressing us out more than we realize.

And of course my wife and I had an argument involving work from home expectations after I told her "no I"m working" when she asked for something. (My fault; I didn't answer with the appropriate tone.)
Did you just have a literal double post? Mafia thread wasn't enough exposure? Lol

I haven't gotten shit done today..  second monitor work gave me gives me this message and I cant seem to make it work (i dont have that resolution option available in system settings?)

262352d473dbc930fb111b44ede6e4f7.jpg

Back