2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats about the same for my kids college, around 0.8% positive - It is really dumb IMO to send a bunch of young kids home from college (at that rate of infection) if they get infected because it does spread the spread - They havent forced anyone to go home but some have chose to go home to quarantine, probably at the requestr of their mom to be honest  - about half of there classes are "remote"

what they are seeing at my sons college is that (most) of the younger people are getting over it much sooner than the standard 14 days as compared to the folks in there 50's
Honestly I dont see how remote learning works for science / engineering classes, especially if there is a lab involved. And based on what my brother's high school age kids told me about how labs were done, not really learning anything.

So I have one kid away at college and one living at home and going to college at the moment

The older one is at an engineering school and they have mostly left it up to the prof to decide if its in person or on line, (most of the profs arent the most healthy group of people on the planet if we are being honest) but they are doing the labs in person - and usually using a TA or someone to "teach" the lab portions.

For the one I have living at home they are 100% online except for labs, so she has a chemistry lab and some other class she goes in to once a week -

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope Dr Yan doesnt have any family left in China...

tenor.gif

Whats sort of funny is now there are cases of the surgical masks everyhwere you go and it appears they are not really big sellers (too much supply)- but I have been doing a bunch of staining for a little woodworking project and I cant find those blue latex painting gloves anywhere - I also like to wear them when I change the oil and perform other maintenance BS on my families fleet of vehicles.  I had a decent supply a few years ago....

really hope they are not wearing gloves in schools (not that my staining project is more important) but I dont see much of a point to it. If we were getting it by touch Id say we would all been goners long ago..

I'm about out of my supply of those 5mil nitrile gloves as well, down to my last box. Couldn't find them my last trip outside either. 

I did find some one size fits all nitrile gloves at Home Depot a few weeks back. I was able to grab two boxes at the time (16.99/100). They're a hair looser than I'd like, but slightly better quality than the Hardy 5mil from Harbor Freight in the right size.

There is a "secret hallway" at the wifes work between the ICU and the OR's / ED (Why they stopped calling it the ER i'll never know) but she said out of curiosity she took a clorex wipe and ran it down the handrail on the wall and said it looked like it hadnt been cleaned since before all this shit started...

I have some of those non-powdered ones that I picked up when I started my on-demand sourdough pastry course... They were recommended for use when handling super sticky enriched doughs, like brioche. I plan to reserve them for that! I still have to learn how to make sourdough danishes and, the holy grail, sourdough croissants!

So now everyone will think that is where you go to get your Erectile Dysfunction taken care of!

I dont know anyone who ever thought "less" of the ER- but I have met more  Neuro and Cardiac Surgeons than I care to honestly and they will tell you that in fact their shit doesnt stink and they are better than anyone else in the hospital. No matter what they change the signs to say...

Well, after my wife forced us to watch grey's anatomy, I'd have to agree with them. Dr. Shepherd was bad motherfucker with a scalpel.

So now everyone will think that is where you go to get your Erectile Dysfunction taken care of!
It's not an emergency, until it is!!!

I'm hearing that there is a supply chain issue with gloves now. So don't expect to find any, any time soon. And I honestly don't know why people would be using them so much, outside of health care. I don't see any real protective advantage to wearing them to ward off COVID-19. You don't catch it through your skin, and you will catch it just as easily from touching your face with a contaminated glove as you will an ungloved hand. So just wash your damn hands, people, and leave the gloves for the health care workers and DIY-ers.

It's not an emergency, until it is!!!

I'm hearing that there is a supply chain issue with gloves now. So don't expect to find any, any time soon. And I honestly don't know why people would be using them so much, outside of health care. I don't see any real protective advantage to wearing them to ward off COVID-19. You don't catch it through your skin, and you will catch it just as easily from touching your face with a contaminated glove as you will an ungloved hand. So just wash your damn hands, people, and leave the gloves for the health care workers and DIY-ers.
We're talking about the same people that hoarded toilet paper for a respiratory virus.  Not the sharpest tools in the shed.

slightly better quality than the Hardy 5mil from Harbor Freight in the right size.
I've still got most of one of the big boxes of the Harbor Freight gloves. I forget which ones I got, but I think they were one step below the thick black ones. They also came in sizes which was nice because the, supposed, one size fits all are not for people with big hands. Got mine when I got the smoker so I can handle my meat without making a mess of my hands....😁

Back