2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you'd develop some sort of herd immunity before you could design and implement a system that could be retrofitted anywhere, even if you offered it for free.

It's really amazing just how much history repeats itself.  See these snippets on the Karen Movement of 1918/1919 for people vehemently opposed to the mask ordinance issued to fight a huge surge in deaths due to the Spanish Flu.

rawImage.jpg

Anti_Mask_AD_SF_Untapped.jpg

5ec564752618b9551e4530a8

rawImage.png

It's really amazing just how much history repeats itself.  See these snippets on the Karen Movement of 1918/1919 for people vehemently opposed to the mask ordinance issued to fight a huge surge in deaths due to the Spanish Flu.
@JayKay PE just brought this up in the count to 100,000 thread since we hit 1918 and counting.

& that one killed like 50 million?

The Spanish flu also killed both my grandfathers parents (They had just immigrated here from Italy) and his brother and sister. He never talked about anything from his childhood- only from when he got drafted for WW2 and later, its pretty bad if WWII was a brighter memory spot than your childhood..

I wish we could go back to the times when health inspectors carried guns to enforce ordinances that protect lives....

Some, such as the ones who investigate Criminal Wrongdoing through FDA carry weapons, but I dont know if I want the local dude / dudette who graduated with a C in Biology from Community College parading as the local expert on health ( in between meals at McDonald's) going around with a firearm...

Do you all think the density of an area make it much worse or better in terms of spreading the Covid???

We went under a "mask order" here in CO on July 12th I think - It seems to be working. But we dont have the same density as other places on East Coast or California -

Since the CO masks "mandate" - Which I think was geared more towards vacationers here who were not wearing masks (is what was mentioned by the Gov) - Before this order you might see 1-2 people in the grocery store with no mask in the general Denver area.

CO.png

California went under a statewide mask order (I think) around June 12th (red arrow), is it either not working or taking much longer due to the higher density of their large cities?

CA.png

Ill look up Texas later for comparison, trying to think of a similar sized state with a mask "order" - 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there are a bunch of different things that influence cases. You would think masks would help, and that greater densities of people would make the virus spread faster. But honestly Lis Angeles isn't any more dense than Denver, just bigger. Maybe there are more cultural differences at play? I actually haven't heard much about why California is spiking, which is surprising because I think they're still "number one". I hear from my work contacts in San Francisco that there really isn't much of a problem in that city, it's all location dependent. In their case, they say Oakland is where the biggest numbers are, IIRC.  Which again makes me think there are some cultural issues at play, and that could include larger numbers and densities of "essential workers" in those areas, compared to the elites in San Francisco.  And Denver ;)

I don’t know when I go to LA it is way more crowded than Denver - Denver is still fairly small comparatively to other big cities.

I see the cultural argument being made however I think it’s really “the number of people who share the same roof” = More potential for exposure.

I also think it’s similar for areas with lots of high rises, condos, townhomes, high density development where you have to use elevators and are generally a lot closer to other people also contributes. There were many developments built in Denver that provided no parking - was meant to be right on the transit line.

I was glad my eldest went back to SD. His girlfriend was living in her house where her grandparents live plus her 3 brothers, mom and dad, just too many people. And they were entertaining other family a lot.

But I am just intrigued by the data mainly. I think in general California is probably too big of a state to control- similar to the US. Too many people to really be able to control.

I still can’t find the Texas data- come on people 3 click rule!

So my grandmother ended up testing negative for covid. Though, if she did get it she'd probably be fine and beat it. Her and the grim reaper are on a first name basis, and he's getting tired of just visiting.

We ended up driving down Friday afternoon to visit just in case. She hadn't seen the new baby and hadn't seen my daughter since a year ago. Took baby girl to the beach for the first time and she loved it, yet I was reminded of how much I hate the beach. FYI, it's not fun cleaning sand off a toddler.

There was no social distancing at the main beaches. Literally strangers were just all tanning and swimming all up next to each other, and when there were jellyfish everyone was huddled together on the shore because they all wanted to see them.

Charlotte (mind you only 20 months old) just put on her swimsuit by herself and got her bucket because she wanted to go collect more seashells (we're back in TN).

Was REALLY nice having the grandparents baby sit. Might need to reconsider this whole living on our own thing lol

Glad your grandma is negative! 

When we went (mid June) to visit my parents and then to the Keys we went to Honeymoon Island, it was like you describe.

I dont really care for the beach but I am a fan of the ocean.

Its tough to not have grandparents around when kids are little - mine were not great at being grandparents but they would at least take them for a day here and there. 

ok, I know this is hard America, but if everyone could just keep doing whatever you have been doing since around July 25th, maybe we can push out of this... I know its a lot to ask... lol 

New Cases.png

I'm no immunologist, but this seems to make sense if there are multiple strings floating around. Makes herd immunity difficult, and explains why we don't have herd immunity from influenza.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong)
Also not an expert, but this is my understanding... 

Once you get any virus you can't get that same virus again.But there can be different strains of the same virus which means you can get it again if you catch a different strain. And many viruses mutate over time.That's why there's a "flu season" every year. The influenza virus has a regular mutation schedule of ~1 year. With the flu vaccine, they try to identify the 3 or 4 most common strains that year and create a vaccine to immunize you for specifically those strains. Which is why it's possible to get the flu shot and still get the flu, because you caught a different strain.Contrast that to chicken pox for example which is basically one and done. No various strains, no mutation, so you get it once and your immune forever.

Back