2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know why someone like Bill Gates is given so much credibility on this pandemic.  He became rich from developing software and should stick to that.  Being rich does not make a person an automatic expert on the environment, pandemics and vaccines, etc.  I suspect he is just a talking head for those who have an agenda, most notably the World Health Organization which he has poured money into.  Gates is also known to be in favor of eugenics and population control (reduction) so his beliefs should be opposed by the vast majority.

View attachment 17242
The Bill and Melinda Gates foundation does some amazing charity work. Infectious disease is their biggest area of work. And Bill Gates has dedicated his life to the work of this charity, leaving Microsoft's board to work with the charity full time. He's super intelligent and a problem solver. He serves as the visionary strategist for the organization, and has a huge staff of experts doing the work. So yeah, I think he has something to contribute.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Melinda_Gates_Foundation

Yeah,  but he can take his digital body implant and shove it! 

-----

A question for you engineers - The Wife is trying to figure out how to keep her glasses on, but not on her ears all day - I was thinking of using a sunglasses holder that we could rig to be tighter than normal?  Apparently wearing a mask, face shield, scrub cap, puts a lot of pressure on the ears after 12+ hours - anyone got any ideas?   There whole unit is having "ear fatigue"

I think they want to be able to wear glasses but just have them not sit on the ears if that makes sense?

@Road Guy, I know they're been using the piece of plastic thingy to hold the ties on the masks here?  I can't remember what it's called, but it literally looks like a piece of zip tie plastic/thicker with ridges, that you loop your ties around.  Maybe use that in combination with the sunglasses/reading glasses holder?

I don't know about not having them sit on your ears, but they make vertical silicon tips that slide on that help distribute the load so it's not in the same pressure point/contact spot.  They are shaped sort of like a gun trigger and follow the contour of your ear.

For the mask, consider sewing a button on each side of a headband/hairband.  You can then hook the elastic to to the button instead of behind the ears.  This can be as simple as a strap of fabric with a button on each side that is held in place by the mask elastic.  That one can also fit under a scrub cap.

so she is sewing buttons on the skull cap for the masks - but maybe there is a way to use them to also hold the glasses on to that button (or sew something else onto the skull cap that she could use a twist tie or similar for the glasses?

They are getting some of the old "federal supply" n95 masks but apparently they have a little visor on them so it might change that set up a bit - she is supposed to be bringing one home today (non contaminated ;)  ) - but I like the idea of hanging something on the skull cap (as I call it) that the glasses can rest on

Yeah,  but he can take his digital body implant and shove it! 

-----

A question for you engineers - The Wife is trying to figure out how to keep her glasses on, but not on her ears all day - I was thinking of using a sunglasses holder that we could rig to be tighter than normal?  Apparently wearing a mask, face shield, scrub cap, puts a lot of pressure on the ears after 12+ hours - anyone got any ideas?   There whole unit is having "ear fatigue"

I think they want to be able to wear glasses but just have them not sit on the ears if that makes sense?
This is popular with some nurses I know... Using buttons on a headband instead of your ears
Edit: oh, just saw your last message. Looks like you've seen this one.

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Does she have pretty straight frames?  You can probably cut up one of those slip on eyeglass holders with the silicone ends and use some elastic to hold it to a button.  If its not straight, it will probably tilt the glasses forward though.

@Road Guy How about this...it is one of the hair bands I cut and pinned as quick thing...the pink would sit on top the head.  it held up my glasses from behind my ears

IMG_4318.JPG

Maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Eyeglasses-Sunglasses-Anti-Slip-Silicone-Headband/dp/B00VFSXTF4?th=1
51ujf8jjzrL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

^ i've tried those...they are more for keeping the glasses on the nose.  It actually hurt my ears more because it pulled down on the backs of the glasses.  but depending on how big the openings are, if flipped the other way and slid up to the straight part to sit higher on the head it might work.

I'll have to get her to look at these, I dont recall how her glasses are set up - she said she already has too much stuff "on top of her head" to strap it from the top.  She did order some prescription safety glasses and she is probably going to ditch the face shield once those come and were hoping those will be one less thing "on her head"

In case you are missing the office noises: https://imisstheoffice.eu/

You can click the various items to turn them on. It seems to be missing a close talker, but it does the trick. 
At home I can rip one out without trying to be quiet and not caring about the stench (I work in an open office and am at least semi-considerate when it comes to the smell, so I go to another "neighborhood" and let it loose).  The dogs could care less about the sound and the smell, but one dog will tilt his head while he looks at me if it is really loud, but he can't complain about the smell because his are a lot worse.

Back