2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bandanna is more effective - & looks cooler!

I'll also be wearing one (a bandanna)  when I go take my (unarmed dutch neighbors) masks that I know they stocked up on cause I saw it on facebook! if it gets to that 😄

I know someone who is a hospital infection preventionist. The CDC is the best place to get information according to them. It's getting bad. People are taking all of the facemasks available at the front desk for sick people. The issue with the Coronavirus vs the flu is that we don't know the coronavirus. There are a lot of variables unaccounted for. We also haven't been through a pandemic in this new age.

If you are thinking about prepping, they are told to prep like you're about to go through a bad blizzard. You don't need to act like Alex Jones, but be prepared for a couple of days without services if worse comes to worse.  

The wife works in an ICU and the ER from time to time, so likely she will get it from someone and then bring it home since it doesn't show symptoms until its too late.. - One of the things the hospital staff recommended (to "management") was to limit family members in the hospital, but no one likes to be the bad guy anymore so they didnt want to even do that yet...  She has been wearing a mask at work and one of the family members complained that it made them feel uncomfortable that the staff was wearing masks, gasp - stupid fuckers...

^yeah but with massive disruptions to everyone's daily lives and business. 

That's what I'm envisioning. Just a long, drawn out version of a storm or whatever, where you are stuck at home and can't get most of the usual stuff. That and a heightened possibility that every one of us will lose at least one or more elderly relative or friend, close or distant.  

Then there's the uncomfortable thoughts of "am I an older adult now?" and what it would be like to be one of the 15 to 20 percent who get the severe sickness and need to be hospitalized or intubated. And then what happens if your hospital bed turns out to be in a stadium, and there are no ventilators left by the time you get infected. 

Purposely not re-watching Contagion any time soon.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

FWIW, I like that taper on China's #s. If the #s are accurate, it spread to a point (fairly limited point, given how huge their population is), and has significantly slowed down in the last month or so.
I hope thats the truth. But the reported numbers from China should always be assumed as the lower limit. 

https://systems.jhu.edu/research/public-health/ncov-model/

Yes I am sure China is being very forthcoming!

The dude my wife had at work just ended up having the regular flu, 78, died this am before the negative test came back from the cdc- they were impressed they got the results back pretty quick.

048c7e4d56b1fa9220cf70bc85f8eddc.jpg

Uhhhhhhh.  My dad is still saying that him and my mom are going to Italy.  My mom is freaking out, not due to the virus itself, but because of the reaction of the countries potentially closing borders/keeping them there instead of allowing them to travel home (even though I think JFK is one of the 'approved' airports for China travel, so I assume it wouldn't close for any reason?).  They're going to Rome right after Easter, when a ton of people will be making pilgrimages, and cross-contamination is going to be a thing.  I def need to talk to my dad again. 

yeah I would feel the same, but old dudes (myself included) can be stubborn.. maybe they should push Easter back till June this year?

My dad is def an old dude who seems to tick every single box of people who should be aware/be ultra concerned and wash their hands: older (65+), diabetic, with heart problems.

I'm hoping he's just saying that they're still going to be a 'dad' about it, and that he's secretly changed the trip to something different so my mom doesn't freak out and go into hiding (aka: go upstate).

My dad is def an old dude who seems to tick every single box of people who should be aware/be ultra concerned and wash their hands: older (65+), diabetic, with heart problems.

I'm hoping he's just saying that they're still going to be a 'dad' about it, and that he's secretly changed the trip to something different so my mom doesn't freak out and go into hiding (aka: go upstate).
My Italian teacher lives in northern Italy, and she was saying it's ridiculous right now - EVERYTHING is closed.  She told me that she's discouraging people from traveling to Italy right now, not so much for the outbreak concerns (though it does sound like your dad is part of the more vulnerable population), but simply because nothing is open.  Even grocery stores are being completely emptied out.  So maybe you want to approach it with him from that angle -  not worth going if you can't do anything!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was planning on asking my boss to send me to CAASE20 conference in June. I'm a little concerned that that might end up being peak US coronavirus time.
Whaaaaaaat?! You'd be in Indy!  I CAN CRASH YOUR PARTY (j/k, no, I'd be too busy being an adult and working during normal hours).

I'm not sure if it's going to hit here too bad?  Seems to be on the coasts right now...I think one or two cases have been found in Illinois?

Have an acquaintance in Hawaii whose sister had the coronavirus twice, in Wuhan (and is still there). The Chinese are getting a handle on this virus and have been achieving good results with a non-drug, non-Chinese herbs protocol. Was able to pick up most of the things that they have been using at a local health food store. Of course, I don’t know the dosages they are using so I am only taking the recommended dosages, in the hopes that it will help with prevention in case the shtf here.

Back