2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the regular flu has a morality rate of 0.5% and this has a mortality rate of 2% -  The wife said they are not in freak out mode in the hospitals here just yet, just more in the be very much more on the lookout stage - I am glad she doesn't work in the ER, which is just a cesspool of everything..

I read this from a reliable source, but it didn't provide a reference. It's interesting.

The total number of confirmed cases stands at around 75K globally, maintaining a 2-3% fatality rate overall.  Roughly 80% of the cases are in Hubei province.  It is important to note that the high fatality rate is focused in Hubei.  Outside of Hubei province, the fatality rate is much lower and has started to trend in line with the seasonal flu (about 0.07%).  

my bad,I meant 0.05% for the regular flu - I just got my data from my wife's most recent staff meeting, which I had to unfortunately hear every detail about due to picking her up from work that day...

So.  I forgot that my parents are traveling to Italy in April.

I know things will probably be okay, but I'm really concerned and wish they would change this trip since they are seniors and my dad has to use a CPAP/ neither of them are the healthiest.  Is it stupid for me to try and talk them out of this (my mom is actually a little scared/doesn't want to be potentially quarantined in another country and she was the one who was trying to get me to convince my father to change the trip to a National Park or something)?  

Iran's death rate is in the teens (was 18% yesterday and 15% today). One interesting point of note is that, although very few cases, they all recovered relatively quickly: India, Sri Lanka and Nepal. I occasionally listen to people like the health ranger and Dr. Mercola and they like to talk about how different foods can help with your health. I will be eating Indian curry today for lunch, and buying some of the curry sauces from the neighborhood store; btw I like Indian curry with naan.

So.  I forgot that my parents are traveling to Italy in April.

I know things will probably be okay, but I'm really concerned and wish they would change this trip since they are seniors and my dad has to use a CPAP/ neither of them are the healthiest.  Is it stupid for me to try and talk them out of this (my mom is actually a little scared/doesn't want to be potentially quarantined in another country and she was the one who was trying to get me to convince my father to change the trip to a National Park or something)?  
I think the CDC put Italy on the Level 2 travel advisory, which recommends against travel for older adults and people with underlying health conditions.  If it were my parents,  I'd be sharing that with them and asking them not to go.

Iran's death rate is in the teens (was 18% yesterday and 15% today). One interesting point of note is that, although very few cases, they all recovered relatively quickly: India, Sri Lanka and Nepal. I occasionally listen to people like the health ranger and Dr. Mercola and they like to talk about how different foods can help with your health. I will be eating Indian curry today for lunch, and buying some of the curry sauces from the neighborhood store; btw I like Indian curry with naan.
I wouldn't put any faith in the numbers reported by Iran. There are probably far more cases, which would bring the mortality rate down. As for the effectiveness of curry, I guess we can all watch to see what happens in India?

I just realized my in laws are somewhere in Antarctica on one of those national geographic trips - not sure where they fly back from from there? 

They were supposed to bring me back a penguin but I am sure they will forget 😞

San Francisco has apparently just declared a State of Emergency over the coronavirus, despite no cases. It seems like they are getting everyone *mentally* prepped for the inevitable.

Last edited by a moderator:
They were supposed to bring me back a penguin but I am sure they will forget 😞
I can tell you from experience that they don't like being in the overhead compartment. 

But maybe your inlaws can try to claim that it's an emotional support bird. Airlines might believe it!

Concerning San Francisco, seems like the city just wants to get more money from the federal government. Perhaps they just don’t want a good crisis to go to waste.

I think the CDC put Italy on the Level 2 travel advisory, which recommends against travel for older adults and people with underlying health conditions.  If it were my parents,  I'd be sharing that with them and asking them not to go.
Yeah, my sister and I are trying to convince them.  My sister worked in NYC DEP Haz response/CDC team and she was like, "Italy's public health sector is really weak.  They're not going to be able to contain this" and that her confidence about it not spreading in Europe went down the crapper once she saw it landed in Italy.  And now Italy has 12 confirmed deaths linked to the virus.  Uhhhhhhhhhhh.  Elderly parents please don't travel into a **** show.  This is just like when they landed in Vegas like 3-hours after the rooftop shooting in 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
My company has added South Korea, Italy, and Japan to the no-fly list, and is mandating 14 day quarantines if traveling there for personal reasons.

Back