2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor is Poor, I've got plenty of relatives in South Georgia whose diet isn't any better because they live in the white version of the projects - And its not because they dont live near a whole foods, its because fried foods are f'n delicious! and most bad diets are soda based, you dont get to be 100 lbs overweight without drinking calories - Sugar will kill more people than corona, cars and guns combined this year but that shit will keep getting inhaled - 

I think the data when this is all said and done will be high casualties in areas where smoking is very prevalent and chronic diseases due lack of exercise and drinking calories exist.

I saw an old dude in the grocery store parking lot take off his homemade mask to smoke a cigarette and i was like dude, why are you even trying? But thanks for at least trying to not breathe on the rest of us.

and full disclosure I smoked while in the military, its been a long as time since I have enjoyed the delicious taste of a camel cigarette, but I am hoping that 10 years separating allows for some lung healing, if not. I just hope they wifey can keep my home morphine drip high :D

I 100% agree, but that is significantly harder to do for poor people. "Shit" is cheap and easily accessible. Quality food is expensive and difficult to find in poor areas. It's amazing the percentage of poor black people who live in food deserts

In the end its really about this statement "Those chronic illnesses can lead to more severe cases of COVID-19."

Most Chronic diseases are curable / preventable by not eating a bunch of shit and a strong exercise program - and frankly "my people" /  southerners (White / Black) are terrible at both of those.
There is truth in what both of you have said. I used to travel for work a lot, been in parts of major cities that are not on any tourist map. Nothing but convenience stores and fast food.  If yuo are low income or on public assistance will buy food that lasts predominantly frozen but those are high in sodium.

And Walmart pulled out of building two stores in DC because of red tape and community activism. Some of the people who  claim to be advocates for disadvantaged are often  the biggest problems. Plus the two biggest grocery stores in DC area are unionized, while Walmart isn't. You can get fresh food at Walmart. Not everyone can afford Whole Foods or Trader Joes.

true - I did a project through I-20 - West side of Atlanta and at the Project Information Meeting everyone came just to bitch about no grocery stores in the area, I was like Sir I am just adding an "HOV" Lane to the Interstate? 

Poor is Poor, I've got plenty of relatives in South Georgia whose diet isn't any better because they live in the white version of the projects - And its not because they dont live near a whole foods, its because fried foods are f'n delicious! and most bad diets are soda based, you dont get to be 100 lbs overweight without drinking calories - Sugar will kill more people than corona, cars and guns combined this year but that shit will keep getting inhaled - 

I think the data when this is all said and done will be high casualties in areas where smoking is very prevalent and chronic diseases due lack of exercise and drinking calories exist.

I saw an old dude in the grocery store parking lot take off his homemade mask to smoke a cigarette and i was like dude, why are you even trying? But thanks for at least trying to not breathe on the rest of us.

and full disclosure I smoked while in the military, its been a long as time since I have enjoyed the delicious taste of a camel cigarette, but I am hoping that 10 years separating allows for some lung healing, if not. I just hope they wifey can keep my home morphine drip high :D
Oh I agree 100%. Nothing that I said is limited to African Americans. I only mention race because the original post I responded to did.

It's very common for the majorities in society to put disenfranchised people (racial minorities, poor people , women, immigrants, LGBTQ, etc) in fucked up situations, and them blame them for experiencing bad outcomes. Just trying to combat that tendency.

But I digress

Last edited by a moderator:
ea8b7614-43bb-4cf8-9205-ea3a86d8c67b

Oh I agree 100%. Nothing that I said is limited to African Americans. I only mention race because the original post I responded to did.

It's very common for the majorities in society to put disenfranchised people (racial minorities, poor people , women, immigrants, LGBTQ, etc) in fucked up situations, and them blame them for experiencing bad outcomes. Just trying to combat that tendency.

But I digress
yeah I agree - I didnt care for the original post that brought it up - but I just know that most Americans consider themselves healthy if they dont have diabetes *yet.     And that is all races.  Maybe the news narrative will shift that this is killing people with chronic disease, and that can be "cured" for the most part.

As a case study, I also think its interesting that the wifes grandparents lived in very rural south GA, farmed 1000 acres, no access to anything other than what they grew for the most part - and the lived to be a very healthy 90 (each of them) whereas their relatives ( sisters, cousins, etc) growing up in the same town but not "farming" lived very unhealthy lives, worked shit jobs at the Blue Bird Bus Factory (that 90% of us rode to school on) and died in their 60's and a few made it to their 70's for the most part.  And the 90 year olds ate a shit ton of "gluten", carbs, etc - but didn't drink or smoke and probably didn't eat as much sugar as today's people.  But they did eat sugar, just didnt inhale it if that makes sense..

So dumb question Rauci said today that he thinks half of us have it and are asymptomatic - Do you think he means that half us us already have it, and do not show symptoms and never will or just haven't shown symptoms "yet" ? 

yeah I agree - I didnt care for the original post that brought it up - but I just know that most Americans consider themselves healthy if they dont have diabetes *yet.     And that is all races.  Maybe the news narrative will shift that this is killing people with chronic disease, and that can be "cured" for the most part.

As a case study, I also think its interesting that the wifes grandparents lived in very rural south GA, farmed 1000 acres, no access to anything other than what they grew for the most part - and the lived to be a very healthy 90 (each of them) whereas their relatives ( sisters, cousins, etc) growing up in the same town but not "farming" lived very unhealthy lives, worked shit jobs at the Blue Bird Bus Factory (that 90% of us rode to school on) and died in their 60's and a few made it to their 70's for the most part.  And the 90 year olds ate a shit ton of "gluten", carbs, etc - but didn't drink or smoke and probably didn't eat as much sugar as today's people.  But they did eat sugar, just didnt inhale it if that makes sense..

So dumb question Rauci said today that he thinks half of us have it and are asymptomatic - Do you think he means that half us us already have it, and do not show symptoms and never will or just haven't shown symptoms "yet" ? 
Honestly I do not know. I stopped watching the daily briefings because it seemed like sometimes they were just throwing stuff at the wall to see what would stick.

I've seen teasers pop up on FB/news websites/etc. implying that it's actually been in the US since last year...usually along the lines of "Were the Sniffles You Had in December Really Corona?"

Never clicked on any of the links though so no idea what the rationale is.

I've seen teasers pop up on FB/news websites/etc. implying that it's actually been in the US since last year...usually along the lines of "Were the Sniffles You Had in December Really Corona?"

Never clicked on any of the links though so no idea what the rationale is.
I saw a article recently where someone from the NFL or Florida State government ( I don't remember) claimedit was circulating at Super Bowl in Miami in February.

So I think they are going to small towns, like Telluride, Co and testing everyone to come up with this % of who has it and is not showing symptoms - best I can tell thats what caused this late weekend decision to encourage wearing cloth masks - 

maybe its like the Walking Dead where we all already have it?

I was on a call with a guy from the office who was pretty sick early march, it wasnt the flu, they thought he just had pneumonia, but the called and asked him to come get tested - not sure if it "shows up" in your system if you have already have it or what, but he was kind of freaked out about it since he has felt "great" the last 3 weeks.. 

@roadguy That is my concern, there seems to no real idea how it spreads. Not even talking about stopping it.

I am trying to do my part but frankly some it seems luck of draw. I buy 10-14 days of food now just to minimize my trips out not to hoard. I only buy what I normally do.

Other people not helping. I went to a park Sunday morning for a walk which is allowed, I went early to avoid people. Three people walking side by side, blocking entire trail, one had no interest in controlling the dog he was walking. Then were the bicyclists riding single file so close their tires were practically touching, then stopped on bridge and spread out.

@roadguy That is my concern, there seems to no real idea how it spreads. Not even talking about stopping it.

I am trying to do my part but frankly some it seems luck of draw. I buy 10-14 days of food now just to minimize my trips out not to hoard. I only buy what I normally do.

Other people not helping. I went to a park Sunday morning for a walk which is allowed, I went early to avoid people. Three people walking side by side, blocking entire trail, one had no interest in controlling the dog he was walking. Then were the bicyclists riding single file so close their tires were practically touching, then stopped on bridge and spread out.
Ditto on the food.  I've been trying to buy two weeks worth of food and then going from there, but it's hard with produce (I eat a lot of veggies and they go quickly).  Obviously more frozen veg are needed in my diet.

As for going to the park...it's the same here, with people flocking to parks.  I've actually had better luck social distancing while walking in my neighborhood.  I'm able to cross the street, or make a wide 'half circle' into the actual street itself to avoid people, and I have seen others doing it as well.  That's my plan to do for the rest of the time since I can't do gym and I feel awkward working out in my apartment, since I'm the top floor.

Back