2019 Novel Coronavirus

Help Support Engineer Boards:

mudpuppy

Charter Member
Reaction score
I think the issue with the J&J blood clot statistics is not the rate (6 out of over 6 million) but the timing. Yes, the rate is less than the statistical background, but the fact that they occurred so soon after the vaccination is reason to be concerned and why CDC and FDA are taking the steps now to pause and investigate.

I also read that the treatment for these types of blood clots (with low platelet count) is opposite of how most blood clots are treated (with heparin) and they wanted to make sure doctors were aware to not just automatically use the normal treatment.

jean15paul_PE

FEA Wizard
Reaction score
I also read that the treatment for these types of blood clots (with low platelet count) is opposite of how most blood clots are treated (with heparin) and they wanted to make sure doctors were aware to not just automatically use the normal treatment.
Yes, I heard the same thing a day or 2 ago. Normally you would treat blood clots with Heparin, but in this case Heparin actually makes it worse.

kevo_55

The Beer Baron
Reaction score
^^Just a computer simulation with people drinking way to close to others.

Sad thing is that this isn't what goes on in Tokyo. People value their space when they get toasted!

Supe

Dangit, Bobby.
EB Supporter
Reaction score
^^Just a computer simulation with people drinking way to close to others.

Sad thing is that this isn't what goes on in Tokyo. People value their space when they get toasted!
Doesn't Japan have a ton of teeny tiny bars with just a handful of seats though?

kevo_55

The Beer Baron
Reaction score
Yeah, but strangers aren't around a table. In those places are in a single line or maybe an L. The largest one I saw had seating for 8. Most are like 4 or 5.

Plus, if you get rowdy or talk too loud you get shown the door pretty quick in those places.

Granted, this is Tokyo. They may very well what is shown in the model in Osaka.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
Back to the memes

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1619336755285.jpg
    FB_IMG_1619336755285.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 6

wilheldp_PE

PE, LEED AP, SPAM KING
Reaction score
That's pretty smart thinking on the bars/restaurants. They won't ever get close to normal if we don't reach herd immunity, and we won't reach herd immunity unless most people get vaccinated. Giving away a free drink or menu item is a small price to pay to entice people to get jabbed.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
Yeah the incentives need to be centered around bars, sports and NASCAR to get to that remaining 40% who think the vaccine will turn them into 5G cellphone towers.

bwin12

EB Supporting Member
EB Supporter
Reaction score
Serious (probably hypothetical) question- what is the demographic that's not getting vaccinated?

jean15paul_PE

FEA Wizard
Reaction score
Serious (probably hypothetical) question- what is the demographic that's not getting vaccinated?
I've seen statistics showing that a high percentage of Republicans/conservatives have more "vaccine hesitancy" than Democrats/liberals. (Don't remember the specific numbers.)

Also the vaccine is much more available and easier to get in cities than in rural areas. On average there are fewer appointments per capita, and people are required to travel further to get vaccinated in rural areas.

DuranDuran

"It wasn't me."
Reaction score
I've seen statistics showing that a high percentage of Republicans/conservatives have more "vaccine hesitancy" than Democrats/liberals. (Don't remember the specific numbers.)

Also the vaccine is much more available and easier to get in cities than in rural areas. On average there are fewer appointments per capita, and people are required to travel further to get vaccinated in rural areas.
True. Just look at Mississippi.