2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, there are two cases in neighboring towns closing two schools.  One school is less than 1-1/2 miles from home. 

Honestly they should just stop all cruises. Think about the numbers here. From the same Reuters story I quoted from above: 

The cruise ship Grand Princess, barred from returning to San Francisco last week due to a coronavirus outbreak on board, will send its 2,400 passengers to at least four quarantine centers. The crew of 1,100 will be quarantined and treated on board the ship.

I can only assume that the taxpayers will be funding the quarantine for those 3,600 people. And not only that, imagine how many federal (and state and local) emergency response assets will be used up in that process. And then factor in the number of federal/state/local health care responders who will then need to be quarantined. All at a time when those assets are needed in dozens if not hundreds of other locations in the US. To go on a cruise now, or the continue operating the cruise ships, is the epitome of selfishness at this point.

I just booked a cruise last week.....

It's not until December.  I'm hoping the epidemic is over by then.  I'm going to hold off buying the plane tickets to get to Miami until some of this settles out.

I've got a cruise coming up the first week of April - simple Caribbean itinerary. Yesterday  the State Department recommending citizens against cruising. I'm not worried about getting sick on the cruise. I am mildly worried that TPTB temporarily ceasing all cruises.

My coworker is staying home since his kids had to take an e-learning day - a kid at another school in their district tested positive for the virus.  So far I haven't seen the panic translate to the grocery stores yet, but I could definitely tell the rice/canned vegetable aisles had been hit hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I wonder how my 401k is doing

tenor.gif
re-upping

@mudpuppy - Are other places going crazy over TP or just Denver?  

Over the weekend I heard costco was out, but saw a normal amount at Kroger and Wal Mart - 

Since no one is shaking hands, its best to just go Saudi Arabia style anyways..

we have a place rented in the Keys mid june for 10 days - Ive paid half the fee and its non refundable - I think the other half is due upon arrival but I guess if the shit is hitting the fan we just eat what I have already paid, the flights are SW, and assuming they dont go out of business I can re use them.

My niece is a flight attendant with Delta and she is being pushed to go on furlough

We must be running behind because we got our travel guidance email Friday at 6:30pm.

Not only did I get screwed out of a New Mexico trip, now we have to see if we're even going to Portsmouth.  Domestic travel is not restricted, but OPM is recommending that travel be reduced "as appropriate", whatever than means.  It's the middle-of-nowhere, Ohio...I strongly suspect that my chances of getting stuck by a used needle are greater than getting Corona.

we have a place rented in the Keys mid june for 10 days - Ive paid half the fee and its non refundable - I think the other half is due upon arrival but I guess if the shit is hitting the fan we just eat what I have already paid, the flights are SW, and assuming they dont go out of business I can re use them.

My niece is a flight attendant with Delta and she is being pushed to go on furlough
Just keep in mind with SW, if you cancel your flights, you have to reuse the credit within 12 months of when you first bought the original ticket.  I got burned by this when I booked a flight with a credit, and the flight was cancelled and I HAD to use the credit within a couple months.

Surprisingly, nobody is really acting any differently here, even with confirmed cases a few counties away.

We have zero cases of coronavirus in louisiana. But yeah, stores have been selling out of toilet paper, cleaning supplies, and bottled water. It's not like a panicked run on stuff, but people seems to be stocking up.

Also, hurricane season is only a few months away, so I feel like people are just starting their yearly hurricane prep early

Last edited by a moderator:
Back