Whatcha Playin?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could move my PC to the living room and hook it up to the TV, I am just too lazy.

Computer systems for games will always be the leading edge of technology, but I still prefer the feel of the controller in front of my 70" HDTV. I have actually made myself carsick playing with that setup (several months ago playing Skyrim).

Get an HTPC and a wireless 360 controller :)

That's what I use to play in the living room. KB/Mouse is not practical on the couch.
+1. Same here. Nothing like 4K gaming! :D

First thoughts on AC: Unity - very impressive graphics. They really push the hardware limits. My only gripe is that they tend to use darkness/shading to hide some stuff that would otherwise overload the PS4, i.e. an open doorway may be very dark until you're practically inside it looking into the next room. The controls are also a bit meh, which has always been a problem with the game. If you're not dead nuts on with your thumbstick, it can turn a seamless free run into dangling from a chimney from no real reason. Other than that, they will just take some getting used to.

Swordfighting is MUCH harder. You will die a LOT in this game compared to the older ones. There are some additonal melee attacks you can add, but you've pretty much got strike, dodge, and parry, and it's much more sensitive to your timing than the older games. May be that I need to unlock more "skills", but it is also damned near impossible to fend off simultaneous attacks, so the days of blocking hits from 3 guards attacking at the same time are a thing of the past.

One thing I thought was kind of neat is that there seems to be a bit more diversity to the side missions, and they're much more difficult. It's not just run/sail to x location and kill this guy. The missions are much more intricate, and there are even detective missions where you solve murders in exchange for items for the police captain.

Hoping to play for a few more hours tonight.

Good to hear that they've adapted the swordplay. While it's nice to not die in massive sword fights, it was always annoyingly unrealistic that you're fighting 10 guys and they're all waiting their turn to slash at you. Or you're fighting a bunch of soldiers who have you surrounded yet you can turn and parry seamlessly.

Since I'm still on AC II and it might have changed in the later games, is the health system still the same? That is, Doctors posted around the map and you can buy potions/have health restored at a price?

Also good to hear about the additional variety on the side missions. They can get seriously repetitive. Got to say I always hate the race missions though, one slip or climb up something by accident and there goes that run...might as well just die and start over.

Good to hear that they've adapted the swordplay. While it's nice to not die in massive sword fights, it was always annoyingly unrealistic that you're fighting 10 guys and they're all waiting their turn to slash at you. Or you're fighting a bunch of soldiers who have you surrounded yet you can turn and parry seamlessly.

Since I'm still on AC II and it might have changed in the later games, is the health system still the same? That is, Doctors posted around the map and you can buy potions/have health restored at a price?

Also good to hear about the additional variety on the side missions. They can get seriously repetitive. Got to say I always hate the race missions though, one slip or climb up something by accident and there goes that run...might as well just die and start over.

There are potions you can buy, some you can pick up off of looted bodies, and I wasn't paying attention long enough to see if health restored on its own as it did in some of the later AC games. There is a lot of crap you can buy outfit-wise that targets certain attributes, health and stealth are two of them, which appear to be able to up your health "capacity" quite a bit. I feel like it won't be THAT critical in this game though, as the battles you engage in will have to be much more selective. Smoke bombs will only get you so far.

Found a new game to try...

duckhunt.gif

Read on Facebook last night that there are a SHITLOAD of issues with AC Unity, especially for the PC guys. Glitches and framerate issues that are making it impossible to play until patches are developed. I guess I've lucked out so far, only two noted glitches, one where a guy's head walked away from his body, and the other where I jumped into eternity.

Yeah I read a few reviews of AC Unity that weren't entirely favorable. It's a good thing I'm this far behind. They should have the bugs ironed out by the time I get around to playing it. One of the things that really bothered me was the in game purchases feature. Have you ran across it?

Yeah I read a few reviews of AC Unity that weren't entirely favorable. It's a good thing I'm this far behind. They should have the bugs ironed out by the time I get around to playing it. One of the things that really bothered me was the in game purchases feature. Have you ran across it?

I THINK I have. I've seen two annoyances with it, but that's about it - 1 is that you can buy cash credits which can be used to purchase weapons/items without having to earn the in-game money, the second is that there are certain treasure chests which appear to be locked and can't be opened without either some sort of purchase or online gameplay, can't tell which it was.

Finished AC Unity and The Last of Us.

AC Unity - Very meh, ranks in the middle of the pack for the series at best. Ubisoft needs to take a step back and either kill this series, or seriously reevaluate what made those games good. You have one of the largest open worlds ever put in a video game, and still manage to make it boring.

The Last of Us was an awesome game. Very creepy, music was REALLY well done at the right times, several shocker moments during the game. Turns out they're making it into a movie, and casting the girl from Game of Thrones as Ellie!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3581920/

Game of War on my cell phone. This is such an addicting game, plus it has Kate Upton as the spokesmodel (and she's in the game too)

kate-upton.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
World of Warcraft....played Aion at one time. And the usual phone games....two dots, candy crush, stuff like that. Tried the GoT game on phone...couldn't get into it.

Latest posts

Back