Whatcha Playin?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not intending to derail but Do I buy my daughter mine craft for Christmas this year? She's being persistent about really wanting it...

She's 6
For sure! My 5 year old plays WoW...and is hogging my computer.
Guess you know what to get your 5 year old for Christmas :D
I thought about it, but gaming systems are $$$
You don't need a gaming system to play WoW. ;)

Both my kids (7 & 9) love Minecraft. I used to have it on my computer but my son managed to click so many wrong things that it destroyed the computer with malware, which resulted in me physically destroying the computer. Huh KF?

We don't let the kids do anything on our home PC except for homework... They mostly play mine craft on the xbox or else this old junked out laptop we have so that all the viruses just stay on that laptop.

Ever since we put individual accounts for our kids and severe limitIons on what they have rights to do on our main PC we have had zero issues with viruses/malware etc..

Man, I have so many games to play, I couldn't decide on one to play tonight. My wife and kids went to bed 3 hours ago and instead I listed some stuff on craigslist and got a workout in. At least I was productive I guess :D

Not with my SO, any computer system that comes into our house must be a gaming system. That's what I get for living with a computer nerd.

Not with my SO, any computer system that comes into our house must be a gaming system. That's what I get for living with a computer nerd.
That's not what I meant. You can still have a system to play games on. Specs on WoW are not very demanding as compared to newer games today. And if built correctly, can be very economical (built 3 or 4 of them for clients this year). ;)

That's not what I meant. You can still have a system to play games on. Specs on WoW are not very demanding as compared to newer games today. And if built correctly, can be very economical (built 3 or 4 of them for clients this year). ;)
I know. I really don't want an excuse to buy a 5 year old a computer for Christmas. Heck, I got some flack at work when people found out I gave her an iPod for Christmas when she was 3. No telling what they'd say if she got a computer at 5.

I'd rather a kid have a computer than an iPod. Junior is asking for one now, and she's 8. Google has KidRex, which is a kiddo-safe search engine. She's constantly playing educational games and watching shows on my computer. It's amazing the factoids (especially about animals) that she'll rattle off from what she's learned on it.

I know. I really don't want an excuse to buy a 5 year old a computer for Christmas. Heck, I got some flack at work when people found out I gave her an iPod for Christmas when she was 3. No telling what they'd say if she got a computer at 5.
Unless they foot the bill for Christmas, it's none of their business.

My wife is working tonight so if I can get my kids to bed, I'll have some uninterrupted gaming time. Maybe I'll actually get to play this time. Although I do have to fill out a rebate and do some laundry.

Anyone have any other PS4 recommendations? I will probably pick up Tomb Raider over my vacation. Its only $35 new, can probably pick it up used from Gamestop for less. No FPS, thought I don't mind platformers that have a FPS element like Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc.

Command and Conquer Generals and Command and Conquer General Zero Hour nearly caused me to flunk engineering school. I played that constantly along with Grand Theft Auto Vice City. I thoroughly enjoyed building so many nuclear silos that they would nearly fill up the whole map. Using Black Lotus to drain the enemies bank account.....priceless. My buddy from college (computer engineer) hacked the game and we adjusted the damage from our weapons. The cannons in the China army were so powerful they blew up my own base. Jarmin Kell is one of my favorite characters as he can kill the tank drivers allowing you to send your guys out to capture the tanks. The Chinese army would send wave after wave of tanks to destroy your base and Jarmen Kell would take them all out. Send in about 20 guys to capture the tanks and turn the tanks around to go fight the enemy. The real drawback about playing this game is the connection issues. It would constantly "mismatch" and contacting EA was useless. They don't care they just want your money. I tried San Andreas and hated it. My buddy from school talked me into getting an XBOX after we graduated. Now I play mostly first person shooter games. I tried the COD games and want to love them but the hackers have driven me away. I'm a Battlefield fan and have all four editions. A few of you have mentioned Red Dead Redemption......man that game is awesome! I love it and wish they would come out with another. The online multiplayer sucks. It's plagued with hackers and that takes the fun out of it.

Anyone have any other PS4 recommendations? I will probably pick up Tomb Raider over my vacation. Its only $35 new, can probably pick it up used from Gamestop for less. No FPS, thought I don't mind platformers that have a FPS element like Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc.
Tomb Raider is an amazing game. I do hope they make a sequel for it sometime soon. I'm a big fan of that Tomb Raider/Uncharted genre as well, third person adventure/platformer?

Have you checked out Last of Us? I haven't played it yet, but I've heard very good things.

I loved Vice City and San Andreas. For the longest time, if I was frustrated with something I would just hop into my Apache helicopter in San Andreas and just blow sh*t up.

Online hacks/cheats, you just have to know how to deal with them and send 'em packing. :thumbs:

Back