Whatcha Playin?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having a harder time playing games, mostly because there is so much competition for the controllers in our house, so all I have played lately is a few frames of Wii bowling. I played through all the first Lego Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Batman games with my son the last two years. I started playing through Lego Harry Potter with him, but my wife took over and I couldn't get back on. The kids seem to be playing Wii Party mostly now, and some Star Wars Force Unleashed.

While they are playing that, I'll sometimes boot up the PC and play IL2 Sturmovik, a kick-ass WWII flight simulator (pretty old now, but still amazing). I had the most satisfying dogfight just the other day... Flying a Spitfire V over North Africa, against the Italians. I pulled off some textbook maneuvers, things I did not know I could do, and got right behind and blew 4 of those bastards out of the sky, before being shot down by one of their bomber's ventral gunners.

Tie Fighter. Now that's an old, but AWESOME game! That might still be at my parents' house in my closet!

^That was a good one, alright. Are you saying you're still playing it? I always hoped for an updated version (graphics only) on the PS2 or some other console. It would rock in that format.

I might get back to playing it if I can find the four install disks. Hell, I don't even know if computers nowadays would run intstall programs over multiple disks. If they did and the game works, the game itself may run at warp speed since P4 2.5 GHz >> 486 SX 66 MHz.

^You might get it to work but the graphics will likely look like crap on a newer machine. I tried to get a couple of those old Star Wars games working a couple of years ago and it wasn't pretty.

RG, no Halo games dont have much (possibly any) cussing. Although the games are definately about shooting aliens they are also Microsofts flagship Xbox games so they have tried to cast a pretty wide net for the audience. If you going to get an 11 year old an FPS then I would say Halo over COD. I picked up COD Black Ops for Christmas and was disappointed in it, its not nearly as good as Modern Warfare 2.

Ive been playing Dance Central with the Kinect and LOVE IT. Ive been dancing my ass off and I must say Im getting pretty **** good at some of these moves. I can beat about 3/4 of the songs on hard. A little more practice and Ill be ready to hit the clubs.

LOL my daughter got that too and I have been "working" on my dance grove as well!

On Halo can you play multi-players offline? Like I have 3 kids can they all play at once? I know I am a bad parent but thats a great babysitter when I am trying to get other stuff done..

We start ball season late February and the games go away then, theres just not enough time to keep em focused on school and baseball / softball with the video games around..

LOL my daughter got that too and I have been "working" on my dance grove as well!
On Halo can you play multi-players offline? Like I have 3 kids can they all play at once? I know I am a bad parent but thats a great babysitter when I am trying to get other stuff done..

We start ball season late February and the games go away then, theres just not enough time to keep em focused on school and baseball / softball with the video games around..

Older Halo games all had offline Coop play (Halo 3) but Im not sure about the newer ones (ODST and Reach).

Tie Fighter. Now that's an old, but AWESOME game! That might still be at my parents' house in my closet!
so you're saying it's time to come out of the closet?

^You might get it to work but the graphics will likely look like crap on a newer machine. I tried to get a couple of those old Star Wars games working a couple of years ago and it wasn't pretty.
I suspect that if you set the display setting to match common settings back then and it shouldn't look any worse than original, however disappointing compared to current graphics.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Now y'all have my retro nerve itching with curiosity. With the lack of a joystick for Tie Fighter, I may hunt down Diablo first.

so you're saying it's time to come out of the closet?

I was always more of an X-Wing guy. We didn't get our first PC until my high school years, and I wasted weeks playing that. Knights of the Old Republic was a killer game more recently, I nearly failed grad school classes staying up all night to play that.

I got Mario Super Sluggers for the Wii for Xmas. I'll try to play it this week while my wife is away to kill time.

Now y'all have my retro nerve itching with curiosity. With the lack of a joystick for Tie Fighter, I may hunt down Diablo first.

Check on newegg.com, you can pick up a good joystiq for pretty cheap. I bought one to play some old flight simulators a while back.

I was always more of a Wing Commander fan. I did enjoy the X-wing and Tie Fighter games though.

mr snick is playing the new starcraft 2 (PC), he does the online multiplayer thing.
I've been passing the time with that game as well. It's really addicting!
he plays alot too but overall though he is said he was disppointed...the 2 yr delay from original release date didn't live up to all the hypp for him. also he is more a defense player which doesn't work well in the new game.

I got Red Steel 2 for the Wii at the Library. Pretty sweet game and the graphics are okay.

The controls are rigid and require hard swings, which caused a lot of tangled controlers.

Planning on getting Metriod next, Wii shooters are kinda addicting.

Been playing Runescape too, its kinda slow paced but still a halfway fun MMORPG thats free.

Last edited by a moderator:
he plays alot too but overall though he is said he was disppointed...the 2 yr delay from original release date didn't live up to all the hypp for him. also he is more a defense player which doesn't work well in the new game.
I can see that.

There are a few defense maps online though. Some are pretty fun.

Anyone remember Star Fox? Bad ass graphics in the SNES days.
Star fox ruled in its day! my brother and i played a futuristic police helicopter game on the PS1 until we wore it out. i wish i could remember the name of it. Bushido Blade for the PS1 was pretty cool too.

I generally play Super Mario Wii and Wii Sports. During the winter months, I'll actually do some Wii Fit. I just got myself Epic Mickey for the Wii. Wii shall see how that one is when it arrives sometime tomorrow. I'll be single parenting it this weekend, so I should get some time to play with my Wii.

Back