What is your dress code at the office?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My boss wears farm attire (jeans, boots, flannel shirt)

Couple other people wear farm attire.

Some Jeans/T-shirts

Some slacks/button-downs (myself included)

MEP Consulting firm

Jeans, work boots, and a collared shirt. Some guys bust out the tie & slacks if there's an important stake-holder meeting, but since most of the rest of us are expected to go out into the field we wear jeans and boots.

Now that I am at the VA it is business casual M-Th and jeans on Fridays. Previous dress code at USACE was ACU's or DCU's every day, hahaha. When stateside I was usually able to get away with jeans and a collared shirt because our project office was at the job site so we were out on the site every day.

When the AC was out a few years ago, after two weeks of 88 degree 80+% humidity days, one guy had the temerity to come in with shorts and flip-flops. He caught some serious shizzit.

Jeans, dress shoes, collared shirt. I wore a suit and tie to my first interview, and the interview panel gave me sh!t for dressing up (western slope Colorado is different than most other places). After I was let go from my first firm, I wore slacks and a collared shirt to interviews. I keep a set of work boots and winter boots in the work truck.

When the AC was out a few years ago, after two weeks of 88 degree 80+% humidity days, one guy had the temerity to come in with shorts and flip-flops. He caught some serious shizzit.

I actually did this once too. If it's going to be over 80 in the office I'm going to be comfortable. Heck if women can wear a skirt then I'm going to wear shorts dammit.

We were required to wear ties in the office until a few years ago. It can make the wrong impression depending on who you're meeting with. For example, wearing a tie while meeting with a contractor can convey a sense of superiority that prevents you from having the open exchange of ideas that leads to the best solution. Therefore, a lot of people would take their ties off when they left the office to go to meetings and site visits, which was kind of backwards when you think about it.

I think that it's wise to wear a tie for any meeting where you expect people to question your work, and expect to present your work to the people who are paying you to do it. This includes client meetings, and it *definitely* includes job interviews.

Dress code here is a collared shirt and pants/jeans. Most people wear polo shirts and jeans with tennis shoes (sneakers in most of the country). If you have a meeting you dress appropriately for the meeting (client meeting at an office: no jeans. meeting at jobsite: jeans and work boots, etc).

Ours is pretty slack. Pretty much everybody wears jeans and a shirt with a collar, tucking your shirt in seems to have become optional.

Back