Interview tips

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ble_PE

I need a beer.
Reaction score
As most of you know, I've got an interview on Monday for a senior structural engineer job in Florida. It's been a while since I've had a face-to-face interview and I'm wanting to brush up on my skills a bit. The way the company is structuring my interview is different that what I've done in the past. I'm going to be meeting with 4 structural engineers first and then with a group that contains a senior architect, senior mechanical engineer/project manager, an electrical engineer, and a CAD manager/designer. I feel pretty good about meeting with the structural engineers because that's my forte and I should be able to handle their questions pretty easily, but I'm wondering what the interview with the other group is going to be like. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Also, what suggestions do you have for questions to ask? I'll be asking the standard questions about work-load, office atmosphere, etc, but I would think it might be a bit awkward to ask a group of structural engineers about promotion potential since I would probably be competing against a few of them for potential promotions. What do ya'll think?

Finally, my recruiter confirmed with the company contact that business casual is fine for the interview. With that being the case, I'm thinking nice slacks and a button up dress shirt should be fine, but should I throw a tie on as well?

If nothing else this should be good practice for me. Thanks for your help!

Ble,

It's always better to go in overdressed rather than underdressed. I'd do a full suit just to be safe.

My company does somewhat the same thing. We have simple exams that we do right in the room and have many people in the interview process.

As one of those individuals, the people I choose the hire always take the interview as simply a good conversation with a touch of technical chat.

Thanks kevo! I've always been good about making conversation and not keeping it too formal (unless the interviewer doesn't cooperate).

Ble,

It's always better to go in overdressed rather than underdressed. I'd do a full suit just to be safe.
I've been thinking about this as well, but if someone from the company told you to come dressed business casual do you still go in a suit? I'm going back and forth with this one. My last in-person interview I wore a suit to and they told me several times that I was over dressed (they were all in blue jeans and polos).

It's easier to take it off than to add it later. I had an interview several years ago where I was overdressed in a full suit/tie. I just asked if anyone had any objections to me removing my tie and I had it in my pocket the rest of the afternoon.

Curious: are you the only interviewee or is there a list of competitors?

At my company, it's always a group interview, one day, and always with mulitple interviewees lined up. That's a little different as far as knowing the rules and knowing how to outshine your competitors.

I'm not one to trust for interview advice so take it with a grain of salt, but I've always heard "put yourself in the position", as in "Here's what I can do, here's what I've done, and here is what I am going to do for you." As Mary says, make that interview your gimp - stuff a gag ball in it's mouth, flip it over, and call it Zed (or something like that).

Hey, Mary said it, not me - I thought it was gross too.

I would wear a jacket but no tie if I was told business casual..

I interviewed a ton last year.. most were more conversations.

But I notice a lot of interviewers did what I call the google interviews, look up “top 10 interview questions” and peruse through those. Those are the “Why do you want to work here” “ “what would your current boss say your most needed area of improvement is”

I think those are a waste but I once got asked “If I was stranded on a island what 3 things would I want with me” Maybe those are think on your feet questions, I thought they were stupid..

I did a lot of Government interviewing so I got a lot of:

Tell us about a problem you had on a project , what did you specifically do to fix it and what was the outcome?

Tell us about a time you had a difference of opinion with your supervisor..

Etc, etc,

Its worth reading through some “google” type interview questions just to have some sample ideas for how to answer. Ive gotten stuck on some of the really lame ones before..

I have noticed we interview here in multiple groups, there is the actual interview, and then they will have other people from the office that will interact with the person meet the candidate. I have only been part of the group once and we just sort of shot the shit with the guy for an hour. Was very laid back & they did that to me as well..

I was also told that interviewing is more about “Would I want to spend a day trapped in the car with this person” or would I want to have lunch / drinks with this person more so than technical abilities, but I think some of the later is important in our field.

Ooh, ooh, ^ ^ ^ that reminds me of one other interview tip I learned:

Have 7-10 stories/examples/things you want to talk about, and have them well-rehearsed. No matter what the question is, you weave your prepared story into the answer.

As far as I know, I'm the only interviewee. I just got a revised agenda showing that the VP of the division I would be working in is going to be attending as well... I'm leaning toward the sport coat no tie option that RG threw out there.

I've been through the behavioral interview before and those are no fun. I don't think this one is going to be like that, but I'm not sure. That's a good idea about looking up typical interview questions. Thanks!

As far as I know, I'm the only interviewee. I just got a revised agenda showing that the VP of the division I would be working in is going to be attending as well... I'm leaning toward the sport coat no tie option that RG threw out there.

I've been through the behavioral interview before and those are no fun. I don't think this one is going to be like that, but I'm not sure. That's a good idea about looking up typical interview questions. Thanks!
"How do you take your coffee?"

I've been told business casual in the past as well. I always show up to an interview in a full suit & tie regardless. I feel a suit commands a certain professional first impression. The recruiter might have indicated business casual since that's what they're used to seeing every day. Furthermore, the company contact might also be the same way as someone working in HR. In the engineering group, they most likely have no idea what you've been told for attire and could have higher expectations for how they will "rate" you. I'd rather be prepared in that regard instead of saying, "well that guy told me business casual". LOL As others have mentioned, go in over-dressed and then just re-adjust as necessary. In my last interview for a management position, everyone in the room seemed laid back and didn't mind when I asked to remove my suit coat. And kind of lightened the mood in the room a bit. But I still feel it was good to meet and greet everyone with that first professional impression.

As for the content of the meeting. Treat it as if you are presenting an idea/design to a client. Keep your confidence level high and try to just fire back with responses to their questions. When they gave me the typical screening questions, I generally tried to respond with something that related to my project work from previous positions. Talk about where you want to go in the company and what you want your professional development to look like. Talk a little about the challenges you will face with having to move the whole fam down to the area. I might even take it a little further on a more personal level and ask them about how they and their families like the area. People like to talk about themselves and their work. Ask about some of the more interesting projects the others are working on and how they all collaborate together. Ask what projects they might have you start out on and what resources will be available to you. Ask about the not so glamorous work they do. Again, just try to keep the conversation fairly casual unless they start asking you some really technical things. Then that's your opportunity to really let them in on what you know. You'll be fine.

Oh, and I see in your previous post, there will be one lonely EE in the room. Watch out for those guys, they can be tricky. ;)

Honestly though, I've been in the room with other disciplines. The truth is they probably don't even know why they were called in to do an interview and likely did not spend much time preparing. Especially since it is for a position that doesn't align with their own discipline. If anything, they are there to judge your character and maybe ask you some of the more standard questions (how you stay organized, strengths, weaknesses, blah blah blah). They were probably asked to be there since they have a number of years with the company and tend to get along well with others. So they're job is to "read" you and see if you would be a good fit. At least that's been my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite interview question is "what is your favorite TV show?"

The way I personally see interviews is that you are looking for a person that the group can work with. All of your smarts should be based on your job history, licenses, degrees, and the quiz that is given.

Maybe this is the new age of doing things but I'm pretty lax during the interview. I have been known to push people on items if they truly don't know what they are talking about though.

Very good points kf and kevo. KF, it was actually one of the engineers that will be interviewing me (and that I've had phone conversations with) that told my recruiter business casual. I'm waffling on this one.

the definition of business casual is super vague and varies...wear the the sports coat keep the tie in your pocket. Then joke if they comment on the formailty...wait this isn't business casual?!

I haven't had an interview in a long time, but I make a lot of presentations. I would rather dress up because I know I'll feel more confident if I look nice. You can't go wrong with a skirt and nice blouse or sweater and some heels. :)

Snick's suggestion could work as making a bit of humor out of it. I always try to see how the room reacts to a little dry humor where ever I can fit it in. Kind of shows you have an easy going personality. You don't want to just answer questions and stare at the table like a robot.

Very good points kf and kevo. KF, it was actually one of the engineers that will be interviewing me (and that I've had phone conversations with) that told my recruiter business casual. I'm waffling on this one.
But either way, no matter what I was told for attire, I'm going in with a full suit. ;)

I haven't had an interview in a long time, but I make a lot of presentations. I would rather dress up because I know I'll feel more confident if I look nice. You can't go wrong with a skirt and nice blouse or sweater and some heels. :)

I bet the heels would make my calves look awesome!

Given all the previous posts, I would not wear a suit. It's Florida! Nice slacks and dress shirt without a tie. I don't think I will ever again put a suit on.

Outside it's Florida, inside will be nice and cool in a temperature controlled environment. :)

Tell me which one looks better here:

c0092534628311db894035cc07c469e7.jpg
166bb22bd0816524051492469bd0008c.jpg

Back