Job Interview

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USF Engineer

Reaction score
Just wanted to run a question by some of you out there. I am interviewing with a Forensic Engineering firm next week. Actually, this is the second interview with the company. On the first interview I wore slacks, dress shirt and tie and felt that was appropriate for the interview and things went really well. Next week I have a second interview and a meeting with the president of the company. He wants to meet with me before a decision is made. They are flying me across country to there main office for the meeting. So my question is, should I wear similiar attire, slacks, dress shirt and tie or should I wear a suit? I am leaning towards a suit, but do not want to be over dressed for the occasion either. Now let me say that if this was for a design position I wouldn't have any second guesses about wearing a suit, but since this is for a forensic position I have my doubts.

What do you think?

Wear the suit ... better to be overdressed than under dressed.

When you say suit - are you referring to a coordinated suit selection, or slacks, tie, and adding the sports jacket?

JR

Corporate offices should necessitate business attire, which implies a full suit and tie.

Neither. Tuxedo.

stepbrothers-trailer-ferrel.jpg

Normally I wouldn't even think about it. But since Forensic guys are more casual attire than design guys I was second guessing myself. On my first interview the interviewer had on a pair of dockers and a button down shirt no tie. He even mentioned about if I worked in their office, the tie would be too much. And I understand that! I have done my share of forensic work and know the routine. But since I am going to their corporate office to meet the owner I guess a suit would be appropriate.

I definately don't mind being over dressed and would hate to be underdressed. Ouch!!

That picture from Step Brothers - classic scene. Love that movie.

I say go with the suit. You will come across as being serious about getting the job. Even if you are going for a job where the daily attire is casual (jeans & tennis shoes @ one place I worked) the bosses will like to know that you can do the dressed up business attire if there is a meeting or other situation that would require it. After all, there may be a point during this job where you will be the one who is making the first impression for the company with either a new client or government employee.

I say go with the suit. You will come across as being serious about getting the job. Even if you are going for a job where the daily attire is casual (jeans & tennis shoes @ one place I worked) the bosses will like to know that you can do the dressed up business attire if there is a meeting or other situation that would require it. After all, there may be a point during this job where you will be the one who is making the first impression for the company with either a new client or government employee.
Suit it is!!!

Not really too familiar with the interview process with larger firms. Since I had to interview only once in my career and found out immediately that I had the job.

Since this is the second interview and I am meeting the owner and other members of the team, what are the odds I get the job? Am I still competing with others or have they made a decision and just want to make sure I am not a doof for themselves?

I'd assume I was still competing with others, but probably fewer. Even if you aren't, you can still lose the job. I've been on a few second interviews where I didn't get the job.

Not really too familiar with the interview process with larger firms. Since I had to interview only once in my career and found out immediately that I had the job.
I know exactly what you mean - I started to interview for jobs about two years ago after having not gone thru a formal interviewing process for nearly 15 yrs. It is confusing, at best.

Since this is the second interview and I am meeting the owner and other members of the team, what are the odds I get the job? Am I still competing with others or have they made a decision and just want to make sure I am not a doof for themselves?
I don't think you can make that assumption - like benbo indicated, I went on several second interviews and even a few third interviews that didn't work out. Not to send you a discouraging message - some companies have thrown out 'interviews' as a way to figure out who is looking and what candidates are willing to 'accept'. I found myself in this situation on more than one occasion, so I would recommend that you still approach this second interview in a guarded manner.

On the other hand, I think it bodes well that you are going to get exposure to more people, especially management types within the company. My current job, which I started-in six months ago, had me go thru a series of phone interviews followed up by a flight up to the corporate offices to talk with many different people - potential co-workers as well as management. I had a very good feeling about the job prospect, it turned out the critical part of securing this job was making sure the company had the position budgeted - an action that eventually got worked out.

I guess to bring this rambling to a point - remain guarded and listen carefully to what people are telling you. It will be a pretty good clue as to whether they are interested in you. Don't be afraid to ask about projects, work backlog, expectations of what they think you bring to the company, etc. Responses to those items will give some gauge as to the level of interest in you. If you like the job - make sure you reciprocate that interest!

Good luck!

JR

hi_fashion_suit.jpg

I agree with the suit, but do not just wear any suit; some shown flava!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update.. I wore the suit pulled out all the stops and was offered the job. Interview went really well. Had to meet with at least six other interviewers. It was a stressful day but in the end worth it. Thanks for all the tips.

Yes I did accept. The job sounds great and everyone of the employees that I spoke with really enjoy working for the comapany. The base salary is a little lower than I wanted, but with the benefits and bonus program they have it is definately a step up from the company I was with last. I will also have the opportunity for advancement and alot of professional development within the company. I start next week I'll let you know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back