The wait is killing me

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are good days and bad days. Most of the time I'm able to remain calm and patient as I await the news. Today however has been tough. It's been 3 weeks since the exam, and until today I had not touched my books. I brought them home after the exam in a small rolling suitcase, put it in my guest room/office when I got home and never even unzipped it. Until today. 

Today was a house cleaning day and I finally opened that suitcase to take out the books and find a place to store them for the next 2 months while I wait to find out if I'll be putting them up on eBay :) , or digging back in even harder for another several months of neglecting my wife, daughter, dog and house :( . I dug through a few looking for answers to a few questions that I was clueless to on the exam. Even looking for 30 minutes rather than 6 I still couldn't find the answers. It began to make me angry and bitter. If I fail, I really wish I could see which ones, specifically I got wrong (not just the category). I'd like to see if I could learn the resources that contained that info. I'm still pretty sure I passed, but some of those questions were just.... uggg! It sucks that I cant even talk about them because I'd bet some of the power folks would feel similarly about the same questions.

Now, today, the wait is finally killing me.  :wacko:

There are good days and bad days. Most of the time I'm able to remain calm and patient as I await the news. Today however has been tough. It's been 3 weeks since the exam, and until today I had not touched my books. I brought them home after the exam in a small rolling suitcase, put it in my guest room/office when I got home and never even unzipped it. Until today. 

Today was a house cleaning day and I finally opened that suitcase to take out the books and find a place to store them for the next 2 months while I wait to find out if I'll be putting them up on eBay :) , or digging back in even harder for another several months of neglecting my wife, daughter, dog and house :( . I dug through a few looking for answers to a few questions that I was clueless to on the exam. Even looking for 30 minutes rather than 6 I still couldn't find the answers. It began to make me angry and bitter. If I fail, I really wish I could see which ones, specifically I got wrong (not just the category). I'd like to see if I could learn the resources that contained that info. I'm still pretty sure I passed, but some of those questions were just.... uggg! It sucks that I cant even talk about them because I'd bet some of the power folks would feel similarly about the same questions.

Now, today, the wait is finally killing me.  :wacko:
As I've advised others on previously, you'll be better off if you can try focusing on your family and/or a hobby (or even work for that matter!) to take your mind off waiting for your exam results. Worrying, second guessing yourself, etc. is not going to change the exam outcome at this point. I understand and can relate that not knowing your result can be frustrating at times. Given the amount time, effort, and resources we all typically devote to this exam is very substantial. But at the end of the day, it's important to keep the grand scheme of things in perspective. It is just an exam. And this exam does not define your efforts and achievements thus far in your engineering career. I guarantee you'll face far greater trials & tribulations throughout your career as you strive to advance your technical portfolio. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider taking the family on a vacation.  I went to a carribean island for a couple weeks afterwards.   Had a great time and hardly thought of the exam.

I'm going to echo the advice above. Try to find a distraction. Otherwise it's going to be a very long and painful three weeks (eight weeks in Pennsylvania)!
Especially after the 76ers lose. 

Although the wait is not literally "killing " me, it sure isn't making life easy. It's my second attempt. I feel better coming out of the exam this time than last time, but now the doubt is setting in.

I have 4 kids (10 years, 7 years, and 3 year old twins) and I work full time so finding time to study hasn't exactly been easy (on me or my husband).

Wishing everybody the best as we wait through the next week or two!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Although the wait is not literally "killing " me, it sure isn't making life easy. It's my second attempt. I feel better coming out of the exam this time than last time, but now the doubt is setting in.

I have 4 kids (10 years, 7 years, and 3 year old twins) and I work full time so finding time to study hasn't exactly been easy (on me or my husband).

My hat off to you for not giving up and taking the PE exam a second time while trying to juggle family duties and work....good luck to you in a few weeks...

I'm in the same boat as you. This is my second attempt with 3 kids at home ( 11, 8, and 4) hopefully we have better results than our first time. Good luck. 

This is my 3rd time taking this test, so I know that the results will not be posted until at least the 2nd week of May, based on historical trends. But every morning, as a routine, I log into myNCEES.ORG, sign in,  hoping to see the results posted. 

Am I the only one doing this? 
Its normal. Goodluck. 

It helps to keep spamming in the spam thread. Best thing to do is not think about the exam, just focus on other things. You wont need to study more until you find out if you failed, so why even think about it, you will just second guess yourself.

All the best

I am trying to keep the momentum and is in the process of going for another exam either CEM or CPD. Have not decided yet but it kept me off from thinking the PE exam....sometimes.

I feel your pain.  I took it twice, and have 2 kids (8& 10 at the time), full time job.  Super understanding hubby though, who I think felt bad when I didn't pass the first time, since he kept saying there was no way I could fail.  (Oh really....)  I feel like i gave my entire 2017 to the exam.  I also had kids when I was in engineering school, so I was somewhat used to the working full time and studying routine, but it seemed way worse for the exam.   I also felt better about the exam the second time, and sure enough, must have done just enough to squeak out a pass.

I feel your pain.  I took it twice, and have 2 kids (8& 10 at the time), full time job.  Super understanding hubby though, who I think felt bad when I didn't pass the first time, since he kept saying there was no way I could fail.  (Oh really....)  I feel like i gave my entire 2017 to the exam.  I also had kids when I was in engineering school, so I was somewhat used to the working full time and studying routine, but it seemed way worse for the exam.   I also felt better about the exam the second time, and sure enough, must have done just enough to squeak out a pass.
It's so nice to know I'm not alone. My oldest was 1 year old when I decided to go back to college and my second was planned around my school calendar. I dedicated hundreds of hours into studying for this test, and although my husband has been so supportive, I still don't want to put him (and my kids) through all of that for a third time!

I know it'll be worth it in the end though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> I mean, it's been 10 years in the making so I might as well finish it up!

I can totally relate. Full time job (elec eng), part time job (eng consulting), sole proprietor computer business, and engineering graduate school. All with a family and house complete with long lists of chores. I guess one could say I'm a glutton for punishment. :dunno: Heck, I was even working on one of my final projects in the delivery room!   :eek:ldman:

These last few weeks will be crazy.  I remember in December the results came out a few days earlier than predicted.  I wasn't ready and sure enough failed 68%.  It was a terrible feeling.  I'm hoping I can finally experience passing the exam soon.  Three time is the charm or three strikes i'm out.  I have seen plenty of co-workers just flat out gave up the past year.  Failing two or three times can cause alot of doubt, and I wish good luck to all who are awaiting good news (green pass).

The day before the April 2018 exam my 6 year old son said "daddy you will pass your exam".   Hopefully, he gave me real good luck.

These last few weeks will be crazy.  I remember in December the results came out a few days earlier than predicted.  I wasn't ready and sure enough failed 68%.  It was a terrible feeling.  I'm hoping I can finally experience passing the exam soon.  Three time is the charm or three strikes i'm out.  I have seen plenty of co-workers just flat out gave up the past year.  Failing two or three times can cause alot of doubt, and I wish good luck to all who are awaiting good news (green pass).
You only fail if you quit trying. :thumbs:

You only fail if you quit trying. :thumbs:
maxresdefault.jpg

The day before the April 2018 exam my 6 year old son said "daddy you will pass your exam".   Hopefully, he gave me real good luck.
I hope the third time is the charm for you !....I took the exam (ME, MDM) for the fourth time this past April after much soul searching, and glad I found the time and strength to do it again.. hoping and praying for better results in a few weeks. Good luck to all of us fighters !

Back