Ski Season is Around the Corner!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@cement Do you have Loveland pass also this year? I've got some days to burn there but could use a guide!
We haven't skied there in a few years as we have become more risk adverse ( :eek:ld-025: ).  We used to ski that for Mother's Day every year!  Once our oldest could drive we would take turns doing a self shuttle so we didn't have to hitchhike back to the summit, 3 ski and 1 drives.  

We would park at the summit and hike the trail that runs northeast until we found good snow.  There's several routes, we liked this because it was more open and a lower angle.  I don't know of any avalanche risk / history in this location, as the Pass and back country skiing has become more popular folks are taking some lines that are just plain crazy.

Here's a photochop I made and here's a website: http://www.backcountryrecon.com/colorado/front-range/loveland-pass/

I'd be happy to take you up there, not sure that I want to ski it anymore.  I've got some PTSD (S being Ski) after my kids took me in some really steep trees at A-Basin over break.

Loveland Pass Ski Route.png

that is a good guide but I meant actual Loveland Ski Area (the official ski resort) ;)   but I wouldn't mind giving that a run either, may have to do that one weekend when the wife is working..

I have been trying to find an Avalanche course but man they fill up quick. The ones open are all on weekends I have conflicts...

so I need to add the A Basin 4 pack next year?  I saw you can still buy their 3 packs for $189 - How is there new terrain? a guy here at work said it was pretty steep and that he 'left it to his kids" after doing one run..

Loveland has some great stuff, and reasonable cheeseburgers too, just check the weather forecast for wind before you go.

For A-Basin, We were looking for a 4 pack deal for when our kids were home for the holidays and ended up getting the 3 pack for $189.  But the wife worked some magic when we picked it up and got a 4th day added.  We can get you a walk up window discount with our passes if you want to try it out this year.  There's also an added carpool bonus discount for 3 or more, and rockstar parking for 4 in a car.

The new terrain opened this year "the Beavers" (insert joke here) is marked single black for the tree runs and a blue for the two sometimes groomed open runs is way under rated for difficulty in my opinion.  Being new terrain, it has attracted alot of traffic this year and has been over-loved.  We hadn't gotten new snow for two weeks when I was there and we were in terrain steep enough that I was doing jump turns between trees on hardpack snow.  Pretty owie on my bad knee.  So the wife and I begged off on the next run and stayed on the groomer, our kids went off deeper into the woods and found untracked.  Oh well.  We also found some less steep, but more heavily traveled trees.

we had an odd thing happen yesterday, we were skiing resolution bowl at copper (smaller bowl  that leads down to a dead end / single lift to take you back up top) but anyways they closed the run right  after we went down at 2:30 ( I asked the ski patrol guy if it was still okay to ride and he said yes) and we were at the lift going back up around 2:50 - we get there and the lift is spinning but no one is working there - I guess the liftee had just went up to the top (sign at the lift said it closes at 3:00) we went  ahead and rode back up and once we crested the hill we saw the liftee several chairs ahead of us - he didn't even notice we were behind him until we got off the lift and the "upper liftee" was yelling at him for leaving his shift a few minutes early - No clue what I would have done if the lift wasn't spinning because there was no way back up (other than a long walk) and it was cold as F so all of our cell phones were dead!

I wonder if they run ski mobiles on the back part of the mountain before they send all the staff home?

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be bad if they stopped the left on you half way up. 

& its much harder to get on the lift chair when no one slows it down for you!

any of you snowboarders use step in bindings? I got some last year and love them. The wife bought a pair and said it felt like her feet were going numb - I adjusted them a couple time on the mountain but she kept complaining of them either being too lose she couldn't turn to about to kill her feet?

I have never had any issues with them but just checking to see if anyone else has had issues?

I took a group of 41 to Paoli in Indiana last weekend. They started the week off with a high of 6F.  The day we were there it was 59F.  It was miserable.  I shed all the layers i could modestly and was still soaked in sweat.  There were a few wearing shorts and a smile.  I envied them.

The amount of snow that was seen between Friday night and Sunday morning where I was this past weekend!

Soooo much powder! It was fun, and it also sure was a workout to get through.

Overall, it was a grand time! Only minor fault was me tweaking my knee while attempting to tackle my fiance into some snow. Luckily that was after all of the skiing was done for the trip!

We’re supposed to get a massive storm this week - but I try and avoid holiday weekends

66b6c778c1b2b6fa17c1be5b9390bfef.jpg

I'm thinking this weekend take a break from the traffic and make the winter hike to sky pond!

Yeah - we have done it in the summer but not winter - probably not a good idea during a storm. - but it’s on my list

Latest posts

Back