Ski Season is Around the Corner!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a friend who did a mid life crisis year in Montana last year, he said Big Sky was really nice, and even major holiday weekends never crowded - and the back bowls are huge!

also me and the 15 year old watched Hot Tub Time Machine last night, probably not the best Father / Son movie but defin is a good prep for the season to start!

I have a goal to snow shoe up Quandary Peak this year and snowboard down - some of the younger guys at work are going to let me go with them - (taking the Avalanche Class and buying a beacon) the wife has forbidden me to do this, so will do it when she is at work one weekend-- I will leave the EB.com password with someone before I go ;)

Let’s plan to do that moonlight uphill this year!

I also keep a set of bolt cutters in the back of the Jeep “for stuff” like that //content.invisioncic.com/r86644/emoticons/default_wink.png

I have only skid at Breck twice but I am
Not a fan - but it may be the type of people that always seem to be at Breck - plus that ridiculous gondola ride from the parking lot......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
let's do it!

I'm kind of prejudiced against brik and keystone, huge crowds of tourists.  I understand why they go there, nice villages for dinner after, but you go to copper and ski all day with no lift lines at the super bee.  

And $10 bucks to park and ride that silly gondola!

I get a Classic Pass for the Aspen/Snowmass/Highlands ski areas, 7 days, with 30% off additional days. If early season is good this year, I might start to develop snow flu and take some days to get my ski legs and some early turns. Offspring #1 is in 5th grade this year, and I guess Colorado 5th graders get a free ski pass to a bunch of mountains, so we might be heading to some other areas this year. The piss poor snow year last year really has me itching to get out on the slopes. @cement let me know when you'll be in the area. We can take some turns together.
It'll probably be January 3,4,5 for me, still sorting out the details.  Let's talk when it gets closer.

also me and the 15 year old watched Hot Tub Time Machine last night, probably not the best Father / Son movie but defin is a good prep for the season to start!

I have a goal to snow shoe up Quandary Peak this year and snowboard down - some of the younger guys at work are going to let me go with them - (taking the Avalanche Class and buying a beacon) the wife has forbidden me to do this, so will do it when she is at work one weekend-- I will leave the EB.com password with someone before I go ;)
Well, if she's at work, there will be a chance she can yell at you at the hospital when you go in with two broken legs.

I am told it’s the easiest one to do?

Worst case I tomahawk all the way down to tree line :)

Last year was my first season to do snowboard. I loved it! Keystone is great but seems like too many people all the time. Breck is better in my opinion because you can find some entry-level runs (green/blue) with not that many people.

They will be mine:

oFbhLcT.jpg

I tried a snowboard last year for the first time and LOATHED it.  So much work and you spend half the time sitting on the wet snow.  Just did it because my youngest wanted to learn.  Hope I don't have to do that again.

it really takes 3-4 days to get the hang of it.. and that eats a lot of time into your vacay.  I think when I switched from ski's to snowboard it took me about half the season to get really comfortable with it - I keep saying I am going to switch back to skiing but haven't yet.. its hard to beat snowboard boots over ski boots..

and then last season I bought step in bindings and that mostly eliminates the sitting on the ground to strap in - major plus 

it really takes 3-4 days to get the hang of it.. and that eats a lot of time into your vacay.  I think when I switched from ski's to snowboard it took me about half the season to get really comfortable with it - I keep saying I am going to switch back to skiing but haven't yet.. its hard to beat snowboard boots over ski boots..

and then last season I bought step in bindings and that mostly eliminates the sitting on the ground to strap in - major plus 
Do those make it so you don't have to unstrap when you want to get on the lift?  That alone keeps me from even wanting to try snowboarding. That and the fact most of the snowboarding idiots push all the snow down the hill.

You still have to unstrap one leg to get on and off the lift but I don't have to sit down to strap back in, but it was pretty nice..

I meant to buy a set of fat ski's when the ski shops had their sales in August but I was lighting money on fire with sending a kid to college and stuff :(

Well, that's a non starter for me as are ridiculously heavy fat skis.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can get some wide ones that are not heavy at all -

be nice to have the width for going through the trees easier and when its a powder day- the groomer ski's I have are just not very useful up top when its coming down!

you can get some wide ones that are not heavy at all -

be nice to have the width for going through the trees easier and when its a powder day- the groomer ski's I have are just not very useful up top when its coming down!
Clearly you need better groomer skis, like the ones I posted.... which by the way will be lighter than fat skis every day of the week and twice on the sabbath.

Back