Landed a good job in the private sector, but I'm being offered a state position...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsgoccus

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm sure this is a topic that is covered from time to time, but I really don't know what to do here. I currently work at a private company that is into chemical manufacturing. It's not what I saw myself doing for a living, but they are treating me well, and I am paid rather well. It has been a dream of mine to work for the state (CA) for a while, though, and I was just offered a state position (mechanical O+M) 1 month after starting this new role. Should I take the job and not look back? Or should I wait it out and see how much I like my current job? I turned down a job at LLNL a couple years ago, and I remember kicking myself in the butt thinking about the stability a permanent role provides. My gut tells me to stay put where I am for a while, because state jobs will continue to be available in the future. On the other hand, I think being offered a state engineering job in the state of CA is a huge honor. Anyone else have experience with this kind of decision? Thank you.

I have family that works for the state (not CA), and I think it provides them a sense of contributing to the greater good of their community. I was also under the impression that they only hire top-tier, quality engineers. Maybe that's not exactly the case? I don't really know other people who work for the state other than immediate family members.

Typically state workers never get design experience and often just review others work. Often this leads to many issues since reviewers need experience to do their job. Get your experience in the private sector then see if you want to go to the public sector. This would help break the cycle.

If it is your dream job, and you get to reach your goals of contributing to society, and you get to do work that you want to do. If you've got the opportunity to do it, then do it. A few years ago I had the opportunity to work at what I thought was my dream job. After working there 4 months, I realized that it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Now I'm somewhere else and I absolutely love the job that I have. But had I not gone and worked at the dream job, I never would have known. So I say take the opportunity. Worst case scenario you can always leave and go back to doing something similar to what you are doing now.

Back