Expected Results: June 2nd

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am waiting for CA specific exam results, hopefully on or before May 31st...
I will never get my hopes for CA to release by any specific day. Last October, they were one of the last to release results (and CA is not even a PCS state!). Last April, results were released a little earlier, I believe.

Man this wait is going to be terrible and it's only been 5 days
Dude I know how you feel. I did go back through and think about the exam (Mechanical Machine Design) and I am thinking I have more than a solid shot at passing, but there is just that uncertainty in the back of my head that won't go away that maybe I messed up enough things and didn't realize it.

I don't remember stressing about the FE, but I also haven't taken exams in a long while and think I forgot how to deal with the stress of not knowing/waiting. In college I was so used to waiting for 4-6 weeks for grades/exam results waiting for the FE was no big deal. The last exam I took was an ASME GD&T certification and that was over 3 years ago. I haven't taken any other exams besides that since I graduated from college. My patience in waiting for exam results/grades has diminished in the last few years 

Same here - waiting is going to be very tough.  It doesn't help that I keep looking things up that were on the exam to check whether I did them correctly or not.  Must... stop... thinking... about... it.

My stomach sinks coming to this thread to read...and i leave feeling better. This is like Engineers anonymous for those stressing over currently written exams

Dude I know how you feel. I did go back through and think about the exam (Mechanical Machine Design) and I am thinking I have more than a solid shot at passing, but there is just that uncertainty in the back of my head that won't go away that maybe I messed up enough things and didn't realize it.

I don't remember stressing about the FE, but I also haven't taken exams in a long while and think I forgot how to deal with the stress of not knowing/waiting. In college I was so used to waiting for 4-6 weeks for grades/exam results waiting for the FE was no big deal. The last exam I took was an ASME GD&T certification and that was over 3 years ago. I haven't taken any other exams besides that since I graduated from college. My patience in waiting for exam results/grades has diminished in the last few years 
I couldn't agree more with the bolded part right here. I feel like the morning went well maybe 36/40 even...but who knows that could just as easily be 28. And the afternoon I count 16 questions I felt 95% on, 12 I feel 75% on, 6 I guessed and I forget the rest. It could go either way. 

Just curious did you go for Senior or Technologist? Thinking about getting my Senior.

Just curious did you go for Senior or Technologist? Thinking about getting my Senior.
I went for the Senior (go big or go home! haha).

I am not sure I would wait for the update to the 2009 standard. They have been saying they would update the exam to the 2009 standard early next year of whatever year it currently is for the last few years. The website says early 2017 right now, but we are almost halfway through 2017

I got my certification for the 1994 standard in April 2014. If I had waited for it to be updated to the 2009 standard I still wouldn't have it right now.

I went for the Senior (go big or go home! haha).

I am not sure I would wait for the update to the 2009 standard. They have been saying they would update the exam to the 2009 standard early next year of whatever year it currently is for the last few years. The website says early 2017 right now, but we are almost halfway through 2017

I got my certification for the 1994 standard in April 2014. If I had waited for it to be updated to the 2009 standard I still wouldn't have it right now.
How hard is the senior level? I did the technologist level in May of 2014 just because I didn't have a good understanding on how to read GD&T until I started studying and figured that was a good first step. Now I'm considering doing senior level instead of just paying the fee to recertify. Really wish they would finish the '09 version already.

How hard is the senior level? I did the technologist level in May of 2014 just because I didn't have a good understanding on how to read GD&T until I started studying and figured that was a good first step. Now I'm considering doing senior level instead of just paying the fee to recertify. Really wish they would finish the '09 version already.
I agree with you on the 09 version! Why is it taking so long? I wanted to take it back in 2014 and they still haven't updated it!

For difficulty, as a comparison, the PE exam I took on Friday was MUCH more difficult. 

I ended up studying for about 2 months for a few hours each weekend. I read the standard cover to cover twice. I had a practice exam and crossword puzzle from Geometric Learning Systems that were free. I just emailed and they sent it to me. I also bought the study guide by Robert H. Nickolaisen. That had 3 practice exams in it (pre-assessment, technologist, and senior). I ended up re-working all the practice problems in a book I had from a training course I had taken awhile back before I decided to go for the certification. 

Overall, I wouldn't say it wasn't terribly difficult. It was a six hour exam and you need to have an overall above 80% and at least 50% in each section. I checked my results and I scored above 90% in all sections and a 96% overall, so take that for what it is worth.

I would do it if you use GD&T. Most people don't really understand it. Truth be told even though I was dealing with it for several years it never really all came together until I decided to study for the senior exam. To me, being forced to study it for the certification is what made me really sit down and learn it in depth. I think that has done more for me than the actual certificaiton on my resume. It really helped me to understand it well enough to explain the requirements to vendors/manufacturing/operations/quality people.

I agree with you on the 09 version! Why is it taking so long? I wanted to take it back in 2014 and they still haven't updated it!

For difficulty, as a comparison, the PE exam I took on Friday was MUCH more difficult. 

I ended up studying for about 2 months for a few hours each weekend. I read the standard cover to cover twice. I had a practice exam and crossword puzzle from Geometric Learning Systems that were free. I just emailed and they sent it to me. I also bought the study guide by Robert H. Nickolaisen. That had 3 practice exams in it (pre-assessment, technologist, and senior). I ended up re-working all the practice problems in a book I had from a training course I had taken awhile back before I decided to go for the certification. 

Overall, I wouldn't say it wasn't terribly difficult. It was a six hour exam and you need to have an overall above 80% and at least 50% in each section. I checked my results and I scored above 90% in all sections and a 96% overall, so take that for what it is worth.

I would do it if you use GD&T. Most people don't really understand it. Truth be told even though I was dealing with it for several years it never really all came together until I decided to study for the senior exam. To me, being forced to study it for the certification is what made me really sit down and learn it in depth. I think that has done more for me than the actual certificaiton on my resume. It really helped me to understand it well enough to explain the requirements to vendors/manufacturing/operations/quality people.
For the technologist level I read the standard twice as well and studied semi leisurely for a few months, I probably over studied for how basic the test actually was. The PE was so much more brutal so I agree fully.

I was frustrated that I didn't understand GD&T so I did my best to learn it. The test to me was proving to myself that I was competent so I would be more confident in working/arguing with others on determining the best way to dimension something. 

I design product and am in charge of checking the prints before release to manufacturing so I do end up using GD&T daily. I plan on reading the 2009 version just to get familiar with it since many customers are switching over. I'll look into the practice tests that you mention and hopefully the new test comes out soon.

I am kind of wondering how likely May 25th will be.

The mechanical specifications changed to a new specification this time around and NCEES is looking for engineers to help set the standard for the new exam specifications. Looks like they will be meeting May 19-20th. I wouldn't hold my breath for the May 25th date if they are only doing a standard setting study on May 19th and 20th.
The Mechanical Study group meeting is for future exams (i.e. CBT). But the Industrial Engineering Exam Meeting is also May 19-20 ( http://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/Licensure-Exchange_April-2017.pdf  ,pg11). They will most likely discuss the April 2017 exam then. In years past, there are always one or more exam groups meeting after an exam to go over the new exam questions. This is usually what causes any prolonged delay in the release of results. I wouldn't bet on a release before May 20. Given the calendar it would be May 23 at the earliest. So the original guess of may 25th is reasonable.

Back