EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work and weather seriously ate into my riding time last week, but I did manage to get about 34 miles in on Saturday. I have to get a TON more miles in before July 19, if I am going to finish my century!

I need to spend the next few years getting in shape. The city is currently building a system of inter-connected bike trails through existing and new parklands. They just opened a 7 mile segment near my house and I've already ridden a 21 mile segment in another part of the city. When they are done, it will form a 100+ mile loop of paved bike trails around the city. I really want to ride the whole thing when they get done, but no way I could do a century in my current shape.

wife and I did a leisurely 15 miles saturday.. I guess if you cant beat them join em...

picked my daughter up a used antelope for $40 at some garage sale, needs some work but good enough for a 12 year old to tool around on, go to school, etc..

Im trying to get another year out of one of our sports authority type bikes (just for riding to school) that the shifter broke on the right side (gear changer thing) The plastic part you actually “shift” on the handlebars?

I have another similar bike with the same brand cheap parts, how hard would it be to take one off of one bike and put on the other?

I need to spend the next few years getting in shape. The city is currently building a system of inter-connected bike trails through existing and new parklands. They just opened a 7 mile segment near my house and I've already ridden a 21 mile segment in another part of the city. When they are done, it will form a 100+ mile loop of paved bike trails around the city. I really want to ride the whole thing when they get done, but no way I could do a century in my current shape.

Century rides are as much about wanting to complete it as they are about physically being able to do it. I think the 70 mile mark for me always is a dark place.

I was flagging after about 24 miles yesterday, but that's because it was hot as hell. Plus, the area where I rode yesterday has quite a few hills. I think my 27 mile ride had a positive elevation change of over 1,100 feet.

Last summer's century attempt, where I punted the last five miles, had 4,243 feet of climb. The out and back 25 miles that's nearby has about 700 feet of climb. Hills are awesome, because they almost always have a downhill side.

Just was talking with a boss and we were comparing highest clocked speeds. Mine is 47 mph and I told him my brain just kept screaming.

Just was talking with a boss and we were comparing highest clocked speeds. Mine is 47 mph and I told him my brain just kept screaming.
I could easily hit 50 on one downhill I ride, but there's a damn 90 degree turn right at the bottom. I hit 40 one time, but I didn't think I was going to make the turn, so I haven't risked any faster.

wife and I did a leisurely 15 miles saturday.. I guess if you cant beat them join em...

picked my daughter up a used antelope for $40 at some garage sale, needs some work but good enough for a 12 year old to tool around on, go to school, etc..

Im trying to get another year out of one of our sports authority type bikes (just for riding to school) that the shifter broke on the right side (gear changer thing) The plastic part you actually “shift” on the handlebars?

I have another similar bike with the same brand cheap parts, how hard would it be to take one off of one bike and put on the other?
You can swap shifters. You're an engineer, you have The Knack, so you'll be able to fine tune the settings to make it switch gears like a pro once you study how it works, like where the set screws are. If it's friction shifters, they're cheap and easy. If it's indexed shifters, it's possible to cross-contaminate components in a way that things don't work right, but as long as you're dealing with low end equipment and they have the same number of cogs, you should be fine.

There's a special place in my heart for the Antelope since I've had many an epic ride on one, on both trail and road. Old school! They're great for toodling on the greenway.

I've made a huge mistake...

...I signed up for a 65 mile bike ride. I really don't ride much, at least not that kind of distance on a real bike. I run, lots, and go to spin classes usually twice a week. I was coerced by friends and enticed with goodies, including some of those "faggotty clothes", to sign up for the ride. There was an option for a ~40 mile ride, but that seemed to easy. Now I'm looking at the 65 mile course and thinking I should have opted for the "easy" ride. :(

I've made a huge mistake...

...I signed up for a 65 mile bike ride. I really don't ride much, at least not that kind of distance on a real bike. I run, lots, and go to spin classes usually twice a week. I was coerced by friends and enticed with goodies, including some of those "faggotty clothes", to sign up for the ride. There was an option for a ~40 mile ride, but that seemed to easy. Now I'm looking at the 65 mile course and thinking I should have opted for the "easy" ride. :(
How much time do you have to train?

That's like running a little more than a 10k- just that your ass will hurt:).....

Attached is a pic of my kids elementary school... Can you imagine this being how you get to school in Georgia?

ysu9ejy3.jpg

RW- you've got the aerobic base; you're most important thing will be toughening up your seat. Put in miles and you'll be fine.

Taint, grundle....whatever. Just know that sitting on the seat for 65 miles is going to be the most challenging part for you, especially since you go to spinning. Slather that chamois with the lube of choice- Butt Butter, DZ Nuts, any diaper paste. Don't be stingy. Be aware that some include menthol; it's a personal preference on ball tingle. Getting out and toughening up your undercarriage is your main concern.

Or bag balm.

I've never had to use a lube, personally. YMMV.

As csb says, just get your butt in the saddle to toughen it up. And make sure you are fit well to your bike. Do a few shorter rides and work yourself up to a couple 30-milers. Note anything that is uncomfortable and fix it ASAP.

The race isn't until October, so I have time. I'm pretty sure it won't be a huge issue. Aerobically I'm not worried about it, I'm mostly just concerned about never having spent that much time in the saddle before. I will need to spend a little more time on my bike to assess the ramifications of what I have agreed to. :(

The race isn't until October, so I have time. I'm pretty sure it won't be a huge issue. Aerobically I'm not worried about it, I'm mostly just concerned about never having spent that much time in the saddle before. I will need to spend a little more time on my bike to assess the ramifications of what I have agreed to. :(

That's what she said.

(sorry...it was a wide open door)

That's what she said.

(sorry...it was a wide open door)

There are several wide open doors here...

Latest posts

Back