EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got back on the bike Friday afternoon after a very long hiatus. This time, wearing my shiny new Giro Source helmet, which I purchased 1) because it has adjustable straps around the ears and my old Giro helmet did not, and 2) this one is bright red so it will be easier for the Paramedics to spot me in a ditch.

Sure, it's 95 degrees and 100% humidity, but that trail is mostly in the shade, and I'll be able to ride so fast because everyone else is waiting until it cools off to show up! Surely it can't be that bad, I'll just do one lap of the easy trail instead of two in case I get too warm. I sure hope the AC in the truck doesn't act up again.

I'm just out of the parking lot and onto the short dirt path leading down to the trail when I realize that you may as well put training wheels on this thing, because I've all but forgotten how to ride a bike. I slowly roll on.

Man, this trail sure got bumpy. Or, it could be that I put a bunch of weight on since I had stopped riding, and now the recommend air pressures and rebound settings have those nice Fox shocks acting like a pogo stick. No, we'll just blame the trail.

Geez, did this trail always have this much "climbing"? I sure am thirsty. Better take a break even though I'm like, 50 yards in. Weird, I haven't had an asthma flareup in a long time, why now? Is this dry heaving because I ate too much or not enough for breakfast? Maybe the one slice of leftover meat lovers pizza was a poor choice.

Oh good, a downhill section for 2.5 seconds of cooling breeze. Ooh, a berm! Shame I look like a baby giraffe learning to walk because I forgot how to turn on a bike. This hydro pack is starting to feel kind of light. Surely that's due to the immense strength in my back and shoulders, and not because I'm chugging water.

My legs itch, I wonder if I'm hyperventilating in a patch of poison ivy, or if I've collapsed on an anthill again?

I know this trail didn't have this much climbing last time. I wonder if the Life Flight helicopter can land on the fire road past that tree line? Dangit, my hydro pack mouth piece is clogged. Oh, never mind, I'm just pulling a vacuum on the bag because its completely empty now. I will pour some more of this ice cold water bottle on my head and neck before hike-a-biking it up the return road to the parking lot. Whoops, guess the insulative properties of that water bottle are sub-optimal, because that feels like Satan just took a whizz on my head.

Thank God I'm back at the truck! Cold air, at last! Wait, what? Oh, blend door actuator REALLY isn't working now. The 160 degree screaming hot air blowing in my face for the entire ride home surely won't hurt.

I just love mountain biking! Fitness is my passion.

Finally got back on the bike Friday afternoon after a very long hiatus. This time, wearing my shiny new Giro Source helmet, which I purchased 1) because it has adjustable straps around the ears and my old Giro helmet did not, and 2) this one is bright red so it will be easier for the Paramedics to spot me in a ditch.

Sure, it's 95 degrees and 100% humidity, but that trail is mostly in the shade, and I'll be able to ride so fast because everyone else is waiting until it cools off to show up! Surely it can't be that bad, I'll just do one lap of the easy trail instead of two in case I get too warm. I sure hope the AC in the truck doesn't act up again.

I'm just out of the parking lot and onto the short dirt path leading down to the trail when I realize that you may as well put training wheels on this thing, because I've all but forgotten how to ride a bike. I slowly roll on.

Man, this trail sure got bumpy. Or, it could be that I put a bunch of weight on since I had stopped riding, and now the recommend air pressures and rebound settings have those nice Fox shocks acting like a pogo stick. No, we'll just blame the trail.

Geez, did this trail always have this much "climbing"? I sure am thirsty. Better take a break even though I'm like, 50 yards in. Weird, I haven't had an asthma flareup in a long time, why now? Is this dry heaving because I ate too much or not enough for breakfast? Maybe the one slice of leftover meat lovers pizza was a poor choice.

Oh good, a downhill section for 2.5 seconds of cooling breeze. Ooh, a berm! Shame I look like a baby giraffe learning to walk because I forgot how to turn on a bike. This hydro pack is starting to feel kind of light. Surely that's due to the immense strength in my back and shoulders, and not because I'm chugging water.

My legs itch, I wonder if I'm hyperventilating in a patch of poison ivy, or if I've collapsed on an anthill again?

I know this trail didn't have this much climbing last time. I wonder if the Life Flight helicopter can land on the fire road past that tree line? Dangit, my hydro pack mouth piece is clogged. Oh, never mind, I'm just pulling a vacuum on the bag because its completely empty now. I will pour some more of this ice cold water bottle on my head and neck before hike-a-biking it up the return road to the parking lot. Whoops, guess the insulative properties of that water bottle are sub-optimal, because that feels like Satan just took a whizz on my head.

Thank God I'm back at the truck! Cold air, at last! Wait, what? Oh, blend door actuator REALLY isn't working now. The 160 degree screaming hot air blowing in my face for the entire ride home surely won't hurt.

I just love mountain biking! Fitness is my passion.
This is, by far, the best post I've read all month.

On topic: finally went for a ride yesterday on the bikepacking rig, shaking out the gremlins. I'm really sad they don't make the Speedplay Frogs anymore. My trash knees love these pedals.

As much as I hate to say it, if I can't get this searing arch pain when riding to stop, I'm going to have to try a clipless setup. Going to try scooting forward to see if I can get off the ball of my foot some and more onto the midfoot.

As much as I hate to say it, if I can't get this searing arch pain when riding to stop, I'm going to have to try a clipless setup. Going to try scooting forward to see if I can get off the ball of my foot some and more onto the midfoot.
I highly recommend a professional bike fitter (you might have one in your area and there are good options online, too). You can also homebrew a diagnosis with some colored dots on your feet and take some slo-mo footage of your pedaling and see if there's any weird bio-mechanics going on there (Q factor, crank length, etc.). Bodies are weird.

Edit: Wait, I forgot to ask what kind of shoes you're riding with. Maybe you need a firmer sole?

Edit edit: @Supe where do you live? Want to come ride Downieville in July with me n some other hooligans?

Last edited:
I highly recommend a professional bike fitter (you might have one in your area and there are good options online, too). You can also homebrew a diagnosis with some colored dots on your feet and take some slo-mo footage of your pedaling and see if there's any weird bio-mechanics going on there (Q factor, crank length, etc.). Bodies are weird.

Edit: Wait, I forgot to ask what kind of shoes you're riding with. Maybe you need a firmer sole?

Edit edit: @Supe where do you live? Want to come ride Downieville in July with me n some other hooligans?

I'm in central NC.

I purposely upgraded to 5-10's for normal riding for the stiff soles, and they didn't fix it, just prolonged it.

I think at least part of the issue is that I'm very heavy, and stand a ton on the ball of my foot in all the downhill sections or over all the rocks and roots, that its basically like doing one never-ending calf raise, which is why I wonder if using more of the mid foot than the ball will help alleviate some. You're right in that I do need a good bike fitting, it just stinks that it's about an hour away to the guy with the best reputation in the area.

Or I just need a new bike.

My opinion, an hour is worth the drive. Make a day of it and grab some food and a tasty beverage at that place you hardly get over to. When I got fitted, only minor tweeks were made here and there but it makes a BIG difference.

Or I just need a new bike.
This is the way. YES. New bike and pics! Do it!!

I have 3 Surly bikes and I want a fourth. Very early Christmas present? So far I'm getting the bikepacking rig dialed, part of the problem with the capability of packing more is that I do.

I'm in central NC.
That's...not close to CA. Will send pics then! Some buddies and I will try out the new Santa Cruz electric Bullit and/or Heckler. We're reasonably fit but the battery will give us better reach to some locations inside the forest. Or we blow up. It's a coin toss.

I'd love an e-bike, but need to see how regulations shake out first. They're presently classified as "motorbikes" in NC, and consequently, are prohibited on a LOT of trails. Supposedly they're looking at how to address that in regulatory space due to their popularity, but the Forest Dept. also has major concerns over lithium battery usage in the state and national parks.

There is one bike park out in Western NC (Kanuga) that is pretty much designed around ebikes for hot lapping, and they have a fleet of Specialized Turbo Levos, which are pretty reasonably priced. The Hecklers are pretty good as well, but good lord is Trek ever proud of the Rail. That thing is approaching the price of an economy car.

Friends of mine just built matching Ibis Ripmos and are now adamant that I need one too, LOL.

Feet were still killing me, and still had to stop constantly so the three year old hikers with a Barbie in one hand and juice box in the other could pass me on foot, but didn't come as close to dying on Saturday's ride as I did the week prior. Turns out 15 degree cooler temps can make a pretty sizeable difference. Still came home with ticks in my hair though!

The wife bought herself new flashy roadie shoes for her birthday but her older speedplay cleats were starting to function sus. So I got her a new set of Wahoo Zeros.

The wife bought herself new flashy roadie shoes for her birthday but her older speedplay cleats were starting to function sus. So I got her a new set of Wahoo Zeros.
Yessss! Speedplay master race! I run Frogs on off road stuff and Time ATAC Aliums (I know, I'm a dinosaur, shaddup) on everything else.

Back