EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, spin class is to road riding as treadmill is to road running. It's sort of the same, but not really.

My advice: lay down a base of 20-milers, maybe twice a week, and then do a long ride on the weekend (with a group is awwesome). That'll do it.

I'm doing the LAP on Saturday - metric century. http://www.habershambicycles.com/lap_century.htm Preparing for wet weather. Stupid rain.

YMZ has joined the EB cycling club. Like Matt, I haven't ridden a bike in over 10 years, but I'm going a lot faster now that I'm not riding a single speed Huffy.

I plan to spend my Mondays biking to the beach with my camera gear. Perhaps my pooch if I can find something to carry him in.

How far of a ride is that, YMZ? Good for you for getting back on the bike! I got 14 miles in at lunch yesterday, but not much climbing. The snow on Monday messed with my mindset. I'm gonna ride at lunch again today, and start working some shorter climbs back into my rides. The century+ that I am doing has two mountain passes in it, so I need to make sure I have my climbing legs and lungs in order. Once school lets out in June, I won't have to worry about getting my wife (a teacher) and kids out the door in the mornings, and I can start thinking about bike commuting to work (24 miles one way) to really start getting the miles in.

^ About 20 miles round trip, and mostly flat. Thankfully I have no snow or mountain passes to contend with.

Last edited by a moderator:
65 miles on Saturday. But that's not the good part.

The good part is that about 5 miles into a faaast group start, just as it started to thin out, I felt pins and needles in my right hand. HFS, that's not good. So I shook my hand out a little, right as we hit the first little hill. I was in a bad gear for the hill though, so I shifted, and shifted, and shifted some more, but it was still too hard. WTF?

Then I looked down at my bars. The reason I felt pins & needles in my hand is because my rear derailleur cable had snapped and the shards were stabbing into the side of my hand.

At this point, a wise man would have grabbed the SAG wagon and taken a ride back to the house.

Heh heh, yeah right! So I grabbed onto the back of a couple of racers that passed me and rode wide open in my 11T lowest cog all the way to the first rest stop at 20m (mostly lightly rolling roads, not too hilly).

There, I tied off the derailleur cable in a middle gear (14T maybe) by wrapping it around the water bottle cage, which gave me a hills gear and a spinning gear, based on shifting the front derailleur. Not perfect, but rideable. There and then I resolved to finish the ride. Things went well. Until...

...until we reached the Cat 4 hill at mile 50. About half a mile, steep as you could want. Then I couldn't turn my fixed gear up it. FAAAA!!! So I started switchbacking like a granny and slowly, painfully, hauled my fat hairy carcass up to the top.

But it's all good, because I finished, and then I got THIS jersey for my birthday:

needabeerjsy_frnt.jpg

I rode my first half century today. I was planning on riding a new 36 mile route, which would have been my longest of the year. When I got near the end of the route, I was feeling good and had an easy turn off to add some miles. At the 35ish mile, I was thinking "I could probably do a half century today." I passed the point of no return at 42 miles, and at 45 miles I was hating myself (cramping pretty hard in the quads and abs). I ended up doing 50.9 miles in 3 hours and 15 minutes. Now I have to try to force myself to get re-hydrated so I'm not miserable tomorrow.

that sounds like a respectable time to me!

I think FL BUff needs to organize a EB.com ride

Hell, I wasn't going for time. I wasn't even going for a half century. It just sorta happened. I guess I could have gone faster if I wasn't cramping for the last 5 miles.

Hell, I wasn't going for time. I wasn't even going for a half century. It just sorta happened. I guess I could have gone faster if I wasn't cramping for the last 5 miles.
How are you feeling today?

I'm sore where I had the cramps (inner quads and upper abs), but the rest of my body isn't sore at all. I'm trying to decide whether I'm going to go for a shorter ride on the real bike, or just do a half hour on the exercise bike this afternoon.

Hell, I wasn't going for time. It just sorta happened. I guess I could have gone faster if I wasn't cramping for the last 5 minutes.

That's what you men always say.

And congrat Il Pad on the new ride (and being selected to O-6)!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've lost my mind... a trip to the local Trek store, a 45 minute demo ride, a Discover card, and I left with: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/endurance_race/domane_6_series/domane_6_9_disc_compact/#

The most comfortable fit and ride I've ever felt. I need to get it down to less than $0.25/mile, so I've get 30,000+ miles to go.

Call it a little reward for being selected to O-6. I can think of worse mid-life crises!
Congrats Sir! well deserved reward for pinning captain. that bike sure looks fast!

Back