EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like the Antelope doesn't have a front shock. If you're just looking to get something to tool around the hood on, I would get the Antelope up and running.If you want to transition from riding bike trails with the kids to doing some off road stuff, I'd get a newer mountain bike with a front shock. You don't need dual shocks, unless you are doing some serious off-road riding (like Dleg mentioned). If you go into a bike shop, tell the guys/gals what you kind of riding you are looking at doing, as well as price range, they can probably point you in the right direction.

I was tempted to take it in just to see if it's worth salvaging. If it isn't, I may start looking at something used.

My mom is still riding that same Trek. It's heavy, but it's sturdy. I'd say that it's better to fix up a Trek than spend $300 on a generic bike. The generic bike will eventually need something and the LBS won't be able to help you.

^Agreed.

<---my current ride, BTW. 2012 Bianchi Sempre 105. My wife won it last year, and the size was non-negotiable; a bike shop donated it. It's a 61 cm frame, and my wife is 5' tall. I thought it would be too big for me (6', long arms), but had a bike mechanic friend build it. I tried it, and now it is MINE.

I have a couple of good bikes, but I've been a little lazy about them lately. I rode my mountain bike last week, though - a 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper, I think. I've also got a nice titanium frame road bike that I bout ~14 years ago, when I thought I was going to get into triathlons, but got married instead (meh.) I hardly ever ride that one.

Biking has become pretty big here in the Marianas. This month is the big "sport fest", when we host an X-Terra off-road triathlon, with lots of visiting pros, and also an Ironman-qualifier road tirathlon the following weekend. The bike trail for the X-Terra is brutal, and partially why I have been lazy about biking - i am sick and tired of the crashing and the bleeding. I'm too old for that now. I ride some WWII-era jeep trails around my part of the island instead, and rarely see another soul. It's pretty nice.

But I have a major mechanical issue right now - sticky rear derailleur cable! Nothing I do seems to loosen it up. Any suggestions? I'm thinking I just need to replace it.
Do you have slotted cable stops? If so, you can pull the cable housing segments out and coat those sections of cable with chain lub. If you can't gain access to the cable in the housing, you might want to consider replacing the cable before the added stress breaks it.
Yes - that's a good idea. That will be my weekend project, since I am laid up waiting for stitches to come out.

y4unaraj.jpg

I ended up getting this from Craigslist for $100. Probably. 20+ years old but it's the best riding bike I have ever ridden...

Bought from some hippie that probably needed drug money....

the front tire is a larger tire size, its a 2 In width? i guess since it doesnt have shocks, rides well.. but my kid borrowe the bike and popped the front tire..

I think I bought the bike before end of 2013 so it was probably illegal weed at that point!

The bike I ride (once or twice a year) is the one my parents bought me when I was 14. The first nice day we had this year, the boys wanted to go riding, so I busted out my 20 yr old 10 speed and the back tube had burst asunder. Got it replaced, but the tires are so dry rotted, Im afraid to get too far from the house. BTW, my youngest (5yrs old) got rid of the training wheels last week. He's been tearing up the driveway ever since.

Last edited by a moderator:
photo6-3.jpg

Scott CR1 full carbon.

I want to get back up to 100 mi/wk, but the reality is more like 100mi/mo. right now.

Bike peeps--

so yesterday while out for ride (havent ridden since the winter) I notice that obvioulsy one of my kids has ridden my bike and wrecked it. gear changing lever was busted and the rear tire is slightly warped, enough to notice..I think I can fix the gear nob changer but conisdering I paid a bill for my bike is it worth it trying to find a replacement rear tire (considering all the goofy-insanely overpriced bike shops out here) or should I just buy another similar model off cragslist?

and yeah I went home and deleted all my kids servers on minecraft for punishment!

^ RG, are these the moments that you want to throw your kids through the fu*king wall?

Personally, I would go for a new tire rim. Do you think you could find a replacement new online?

Yes those are the moments you want to go and break something of your child's.. Then you realize you paid for that too...

I will look around but I stopped in boulder and the guy started talking $150 plus labor , I was like I can put it on bro.....

the rear tire is slightly warped, enough to notice..I think I can fix the gear nob changer but conisdering I paid a bill for my bike is it worth it trying to find a replacement rear tire (considering all the goofy-insanely overpriced bike shops out here) or should I just buy another similar model off cragslist?

It's pretty easy to true a rim if it's still round. Buy a spoke wrench for a few bucks and fix it yourself.

Back