COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2011

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fire the board of trustees

Let them play football...no one involved on the team right now had anything to do with what happened 10 years ago
Agreed. The coaching staff has been completely pitted out, not a single player on the team had anything to do with what happened.

How do you punish for something like this? Everyone responsible (within the team itself) is essentially gone, and vacating wins does nothing. Perhaps hit the school with a fine. Something along the lines of requiring the school to pay for ALL athletic scholarships (at least the ones previously awarded through the NCAA) while still maintaining a certain minimum amount of scholarships.

What is killing the program or instituting bowl bans going to do?
Give the casual fan "closure". IMO, any sanctions from the NCAA on the school would be purely a political statement to the rest of the schools, but I don't think it would be a statement anywhere close to the one Sandusky already received through the legal system or Paterno through the court of public opinion.

If anything is done as a political move, I'd prefer to see the Big 10 kick them out of the conference. You get your political statement, but don't punish the kids who just want to play football and have nothing to do with the transgressions of the previous administration.

Article on ESPN had Nick Saban's solution: tax the program and have proceeds go to child abuse programs. Not sure how that would work, as any additional funds would adversely effect ticket sales (punish the fan), or cut into scholarship money (punish the current/future student-athletes).

Honestly, I think one good solution would be a civil lawsuit filed by the school against those responsible with any "proceeds" going to the same child abuse programs as Saban suggested.

Slippery slope to go down. You end up punishing people that don't deserve it.

The thing is they are saying things were covered up to protect the program. If they just said, "This guy is a creep, we are going to fire him and go to the police." it would have just been one sicko that got canned. Big deal.
^^ Par for the course with the NCAA, in fact, they seem to NEVER punish those that really deserve it.

Case in point my hated in state rival, the whOregon Ducks. They basically paid a "street agent" $25k to steer recruits to Eugene, ...back in 2010. Yahoo Sports basically gift wrapped the entire case to the NCAA, now 2-1/2 years later nothing at all has happened with the case.

Why even try and play by the rules if the likely hood you will get caught is so small, plus the penalties will be so late in coming?

I am not up to date on who got fired but I am assuming the AD, School President, anyone hired by Petrino, etc all have been fired?

I would almost think the school deserves at least a one year suspension for all football activitities, I think not seeing them play for a year may help there cause..

I have been thinking about this lately, and here's what I have come up with. The football players in the program that are not national contenders for awards (such as Heisman) are the collateral damage when a team gets the death penalty, or similar serious sanctions. But even they will get more playing time than they would have if the penalties had not been enforced. The national contenders will easily transfer to school that aren't being sanctioned. But these penalties are really the only way to punish the school effectively.

College football in big conferences such as the Big 10 get a TON of their operating budget from the football program and donors motivated by having a winning football program. That's why it devolved into such a mess at Penn State. The football program was bringing in so much money that the coaches, staff and players were untouchable. When you put sickos into a position where their motives and morals cannot be questioned, you end up with Sandusky. Giving the Penn State football team the death penalty will purge the scum AND make the football program fallible again. Future administrations will think twice before allowing known infractions pass for the sake of money if they know that they face such penalties from the NCAA.

They should have just gone with the 1 year death penalty.

amazing how one organization, not of the judicial system variety, has the authority impose such huge penalties...the suspension part I get, but the money...wow.

^Didn't you know? That's what sports is all about money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Penn State deserves each and every penalty imposed by NCAA, and more. They failed to act but the real failure was they put football and the reputation of the university before the victims. Now look where they are.

But this is, I am afraid of, the tip of the iceberg. I am sure there are many more universities doing just that. Most of the major colleges put football & basketball, to mention the two biggest monsters, before dreams and aspirations of students that just want a chance to study and be a productive citizen. They cover up things as bad or maybe worst than the Sanduski crimes. The name of their institution is more important than any other thing.

In the name of entertainment colleges will tweak the requirements for students that can throw the ball 50 yards in the air, or run 40 yards faster than a speeding bullet. I remember when my son was a high school senior and denied admission to a major school in FL. Given, his GPA was not good enough for that but then we saw the football recruiting class for the same year SAT scores and GPAs and it was ridiculous. But that is the system we have. Now deal with it.

Finally I think that there is another guilty party here. The one responsible for the stupidity that makes a university like Auburn, pay a thief like Cam Newton thousands of dollars to play for them(do not make that face...it happened). It is the media; The ESPN, Fox, NBC, ABC and whatever letters you want to put there. They should pay a penalty too since they are as responsible for this chaos as Penn State and many others like them.

Back