Why the hate for Walmart?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Questions:
1) If the consumer buys these items of lesser quality, could it be the item was overbuilt in the first place?
It's funny to me that this thread spawned the "They don't build them like they used to" thread, but you then postulate that Wal-mart is selling lower quality items b/c what is currently available is overbuilt.

I will say that I don't hate Wal-mart, their business model obviously fills a need. I don't like shopping at Wal-mart b/c I feel in a lot of cases their products are inferior, their customer service is awful, I can get better value shopping elsewhere by spending a little more on higher quality products and I preserve my sanity by not subjecting myself to the shopping experience that is Wal-mart.

If people don't like Wal-mart then don't shop there. It's a business, if people didn't shop there they couldn't "bully" anyone.

Questions:
1) If the consumer buys these items of lesser quality, could it be the item was overbuilt in the first place?
It's funny to me that this thread spawned the "They don't build them like they used to" thread, but you then postulate that Wal-mart is selling lower quality items b/c what is currently available is overbuilt.
Well, it IS kind of an interesting question, isn't it? How much more would you pay for a product based on longevity? I had a long discussion with an HVAC tech about this very question, because my parents have an AC unit and oil furnace that are 1963 or 64 models. He said you could build units like that today, but no one would pay extra for them because they've been conditioned (HAHA) to think that you need a new HVAC every fifteen years. The added longevity isn't percieved to be a good thing because the replacement unit would be more efficient.

I'm sure that it is a different mental exercise for every product.

I'm sure it's a different mental exercise for every person too. I know I would prefer a quality product at a reasonable price then buy something just b/c it's cheap.

I'm weird though. :tardbang:

I'm sure it's a different mental exercise for every person too. I know I would prefer a quality product at a reasonable price then buy something just b/c it's cheap.
Yep, it would be.

That's what makes in interesting, because you have to make a decision on what mass behavior will be. If people like you make up 5% of the buyers, it may not be worth the cost of going after your business.

And a lot of times folks will say one thing, but do another. For all the bad feelings aimed at Walmart, they seem to be doing pretty well.

I don't give two hot turds about made in America. I just want the best price, wherever its made. Plus it's a global economy these days anyway.
:puke:
FEF7A50E510A9C1BB09C81_Large.jpg

I guess it's back to the pile for you...

I have three reasons I don't frequent Wal-Mart:

1. Their $4 drug policy managed to close the small pharmacy that I enjoyed going to that had great customer service and hard to find items. It was also a friend's family business, so it was a little hard to watch it close after over 100 years in operation.

2. Our local Wal-Mart is typically jam packed and the overall crowd is rude. I've been hit with carts. It's not worth the hassle of going in.

3. The prices aren't always the cheapest in town. Some things are really cheap, but it's again not worth the hassle.

And a totally illogical reason- Target is pretty and fun to visit.

I used to have a pretty strong "I'm never buying from Wal-Mart EVER!" policy, but I've relaxed that. I won't visit the one here in town, but if I'm on the road and it's the only store in town, I'll go.

I used to have a pretty strong "I'm never buying from Wal-Mart EVER!" policy, but I've relaxed that. I won't visit the one here in town, but if I'm on the road and it's the only store in town, I'll go.
+1

I won't visit the one here in town, but if I'm on the road and it's the only store in town, I'll go.
Do you get a T-shirt from every Wal-Mart that you visit just to prove that you've been there, a la Hard Rock Cafes or Harley Davidson dealerships?

^^

I still don't understand how any of this is Wal-mart's fault. It's the consumers fault for purchasing inferior quality products.

ngnrd said:
Listen, I'm a capitalist. I'm a business owner. I truly believe in the FREE market. Profit is what makes the economy keep running, and I applaud Walmart for gaming the system in a way that allows them to make a profit. The problem is that, in the case of Walmart, the market is no longer free.
Actually, WalMart is a perfect case study in free markets. The people have spoken with their dollars, and what they said was "We want the best price, no matter what the quality." Sure, there may be a lot of WalMart haters in the world, but they wouldn't be the largest retailer in the world if they didn't give the people what they wanted.

If enough people get fed up with WalMart products, such as your Igloo cooler story, then maybe they will change their minds, and start paying more elsewhere for higher quality. At that time, WalMart will have to decide whether to continue their cost cutting, or raise prices and quality to meet the demands of the people.

What would be your "free market" solution to the WalMart situation? Government intervention to make them stop bullying manufacturers? That is what most "free" markets look like in America today.

^^I still don't understand how any of this is Wal-mart's fault. It's the consumers fault for purchasing inferior quality products.
I'm with you.

And in this example, it is Igloo's fault for pimping out their reputation for the honor of selling their product at Walmart. No bullying, just shrewd bidness.

I won't visit the one here in town, but if I'm on the road and it's the only store in town, I'll go.
Do you get a T-shirt from every Wal-Mart that you visit just to prove that you've been there, a la Hard Rock Cafes or Harley Davidson dealerships?
Funny you mention that. About 10-11 years ago, my wife and I had to stay overnight out of town unexpectly. Went to walmart and bought t-shirts ($5) and sleeping bags ($17). I expected them to really be short lived stuff, but all are still in use, and look brand new, to this day.

Last edited by a moderator:
but you can't forgot the demographic walmart caters to. most CAN'T afford to pay more, hence the cheapest price walmart can offer, the more food some people can buy for their families.

It is the middle/upper middle class demographic that is looking for something in between, not crap and not necessarily luxury.

It is the middle/upper middle class demographic that is looking for something in between, not crap and not necessarily luxury.
This. Basically I want the best quality for my buck, but it is a tradeoff. How much do I need to pay for something that will function well for the long term. If I buy crap to save money, I'll just end up spending even more money to replace it.

ngnrd said:
Do you suppose that there would be more higher wage manufacturing jobs if there wasn't such a demand for products that were "cheap, no matter how low the quality"?
No, I don't. I think high paying manufacturing jobs are a thing of the past, or soon will be. Some niche jobs will remain, but I'm talking in general.

But that has a lot more to do with mass production than it does with Walmart.

they can't pay more because they are poor farmers who live in a poor rural communities where manufacturing jobs don't exist and likely never will exist.

Back