Why the hate for Walmart?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems as if walmart is the place to go to beat your kids. Everytime I go, there always seems to be a kid getting beaten.

When my kid starts acting up, I tell him that is where we are going.

He is terrified of the place

--Rodney Carrington

they sell the same made in china stuff that Target, Dicks, Costco, REI, Overton's, Ace Hardware, Sears, etc all sell...???
I have to defend Costco and REI, both those companies stand behind what they sell. REI will let you return anything for any reason. Do you pay more for that? Yes, but sometimes it's worth it.
So will Walmart. Never had a hassle with returns. In fact, its probablythe only place where I just put something on the counter, they scan it, and hand me cash, no questions asked.

Granted, I haven't done it all that much.
Wal-mart has a 90 day return policy. REI doesn't. REI will also let you return opened food items for reasons as simple as "I didn't like it".

Is wal-mart going to let you return that apple you took a bite out of just b/c you didn't like the taste?
I wouldn't take back opened food, but that's just me.
I ordinarily wouldn't. But the REI employees encourage you to. I was in there a couple of weeks ago picking up some nutritional supplements in preparation for my marathon. An employee came over to assist me, not only was he able to give me some guidance on what stuff he prefers to use when he runs marathons (how many Wal-mart employees could give you advice on that?) but he told me that if I didn't like whatever I picked out I could return it for a full refund. They want you to be happy with your purchase and the service at a place like that is head and shoulders about Wal-mart or Target. As a result you pay more. I don't think it's fair to compare a Wal-mart to an REI, they don't follow the same business model.

And I realize that Wal-Mart doesn't have the market cornered on this crap, it just is really prevalent there. I remember when Made In USA was part of Wal-Mart's marketing...no more.

Really?
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08380.html

I know its choking, not lead or anything, but bad quality is not endemic to a single country.
Yes, really. Because you can find one German item that has been recalled in America, you think it's as bad as China? Really? You can also find recalled items that are made in USA .
And that's my point. People single out China, then when pressed as to why, say, 'recalled toys.' If you think of the sheer volume, Germany may very well have a higher percentage of recalled toys. So may the USA . I don't know.

But for some reason, only China is called out. You have to wonder why. And I don't think it is racism.

Again, not picking on you, momech.

I remember when Made In USA was part of Wal-Mart's marketing...no more.
Oh, I do, too, and I'm sure Sam Walton is spinnin' in his grave about that.

But the truth is, most people will not pay more money just because of a product's country of origin. I'm quite open that I won't.

I wouldnt buy hiking boots or a backpack from wal mart (for backpacking) but for small accessories, there shouldnt be as big a mark up as the stores have. They cater to a small group and thats okay, Dicks is almost as bad, I am sure they have a very hefty markup on everything.

I like to go to the smaller sporting goods stuff for some of my coaching needs for softball but man you pay a premium to talk to someone who knows something about bats, that advice is generally worth it, but if your buying a bucket of 11" softballs, I dont really need someone to tell me anything about them...

Bass Pro Shops I guess is a big box store, but I wish they had one closer to us, they have excellent deals on anything boating related...

And that's my point. People single out China, then when pressed as to why, say, 'recalled toys.' If you think of the sheer volume, Germany may very well have a higher percentage of recalled toys. So may the USA . I don't know.
But for some reason, only China is called out. You have to wonder why. And I don't think it is racism.

It's singled out because of the shear volume of it. And I'm not just talking about recalled toys. I'm talking about going to a store looking for something and all of the choices are garbage, and they're all made in China. Have you ever looked at the country of origin tags? The volume is really astonishing to me.

It's singled out because of the shear volume of it. And I'm not just talking about recalled toys. I'm talking about going to a store looking for something and all of the choices are garbage, and they're all made in China. Have you ever looked at the country of origin tags? The volume is really astonishing to me.
The only product that actually failed to meet my expectations, though, was made in Russia. I can't say as I would necessarily label all Chinese products as garbage.

I do shy away from Chinese hand tools. They tend to be pretty loose in their tolerances and round off easily.

The only product that actually failed to meet my expectations, though, was made in Russia. I can't say as I would necessarily label all Chinese products as garbage.
I do shy away from Chinese hand tools. They tend to be pretty loose in their tolerances and round off easily.
You've only purchased one product that failed to meet your expectations? Do you expect everything you buy to be disposable?

You've only purchased one product that failed to meet your expectations? Do you expect everything you buy to be disposable?
Yep, only that one product (it was actually two failures guess...two pairs of shorts and the button popped off both of them the second time I wore them).

I've bought all kinds of stuff from Walmart and Kmart, and really not had problems. I don't hesitate to buy stuff there.

that's why I'm wondering about all the haterade directed to the big-box stores.

Then again, the same hate was directed at the department stores, then the five and dimes in their respective eras. To the malls, as well.

again other than the fact I would have to travel an hr to get to one, I never shopped at Kmarts because for some reason they all have the same smell that aggravates my allergies. Not sure if it is the food court/restaurant combo or their company wide cleaning supplies but every single kmart I have ever been in smells the same way.

I don't think that is only because it is made in China. Brand name companies manufacture there because of low cost. They set the specifications, material, qa/qc. Certainly there are rogue manufacturers, but the brand name companies who strive the keep cost low (per the demand of the American consumer) should be the to take it out on, not China - they are only meeting a demand.

It's not just children's toys. Don't you remember the milk problem, poisonous dog food, kids candy? here's an article that talks about some of it: Problem with chinese goods

no oversight on their manufacturing + an incessant demand for more = crap products

That's not really Walmart's problem, except that Walmart is a huge driving force in the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
ngnrd said:
ngnrd said:
I don't like bullies. Walmart is a bully.
Really? They beat you up and took your lunch money, did they? Say hurtful things on Facebook about you?

This is the attitude I don't get.
Well, that's just stupid. Just because they didn't beat ME up doesn't mean they aren't a bully. Just like it doesn't matter whether or not the gentleman on the corner tried to sell me drugs for him to be a dealer.

Walmart's business model coerces manufacturers into lowering the quality of their products, just to sell them at unreasonably low prices in order to unfairly compete with smaller stores. Yeah. They're bullies.
So using this logic and a free market, doesn't that mean the consumer wants a lower quality product?

Should Kia be forced to raise there prices and build a better car or is it up to them to charge what they want for their customer base.

(I have nothing against Kia)

ngnrd said:
ngnrd said:
I don't like bullies. Walmart is a bully.
Really? They beat you up and took your lunch money, did they? Say hurtful things on Facebook about you?

This is the attitude I don't get.
Well, that's just stupid. Just because they didn't beat ME up doesn't mean they aren't a bully. Just like it doesn't matter whether or not the gentleman on the corner tried to sell me drugs for him to be a dealer.

Walmart's business model coerces manufacturers into lowering the quality of their products, just to sell them at unreasonably low prices in order to unfairly compete with smaller stores. Yeah. They're bullies.
Questions:

1) If the consumer buys these items of lesser quality, could it be the item was overbuilt in the first place?

2) Is it possible that the your evaluation of percieved quality is not the same as the purchaser?

3) How is the price unreasonably low if a profit can be generated by the willing seller?

4) By your logic, should minimime price/quantity standrds be set? Who should do so if the answer is yes?

5) Compettiton with smaller ventures is almost always going to be one sided. It isn't unfair. Is it unfair that in his heyday Muhammed Ali could have pounded Boom-Boom Mancini, or the Bismark could have easily taken out a four stack destroyer? Nope, just the nature of competition.

Back