Why the hate for Walmart?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wal Mart is mostly a human zoo from my experience. That's reason enough to avoid it. Also, I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for Made in the USA stuff which is next to impossible to find at Wally World.

ngnrd said:
I don't like bullies. Walmart is a bully.
Really? They beat you up and took your lunch money, did they? Say hurtful things on Facebook about you?

This is the attitude I don't get.

I hate all the Made in China crap.
Why?

I've heard that before, but why? And do you feel the same about, say, German goods? Why specifically Chinese products?

I'm not picking, I'm seriously curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
they sell the same made in china stuff that Target, Dicks, Costco, REI, Overton's, Ace Hardware, Sears, etc all sell...???

I dont really care for wal-mart in general, but these days groceries are getting ridiculous...

I dont really care for wal-mart in general, but these days groceries are getting ridiculous...
You have to be careful with the groceries. I've found numerous instances where the BiLo or Reid's was the same or lower price.

I do get paperbacks from Kmart or Walmart because you get 25% off.

they sell the same made in china stuff that Target, Dicks, Costco, REI, Overton's, Ace Hardware, Sears, etc all sell...???
I have to defend Costco and REI, both those companies stand behind what they sell. REI will let you return anything for any reason. Do you pay more for that? Yes, but sometimes it's worth it.

I just don't like it. Not really sure why. For the majority of my shopping, I will drive the extra 1/2 mile to the Super Target.

I just don't like it. Not really sure why. For the majority of my shopping, I will drive the extra 1/2 mile to the Super Target.
The main reason I don't shop at Wal-mart is because I feel their stores are always understaffed. It seems no matter what time of day I go, or which store I go to, I always spend 30 minutes in line waiting to check out. I hate that. As such, I typically shop elsewhere.

Does that mean I hate Wal-mart? No, I just prefer not to shop there.

About the only thing I buy at wal-mart is boat supplies. They have a pretty good section (in general, their outdoor sporting goods section is much better than Target, IMHO) and they have the same products I need (oil, etc) as West Marine, at half the price.

In general, we do our grocery shopping at Ingles. It's close, and we know where everything is. I'm sure we could save a few bucks buying certain things at walmart, but for us its a "what is your time worth to you" question. We have pretty much come to the conclusion that driving all over town to save a few bucks on groceries isn't worth it to us.

I'll buy name brand stuff there sometimes. If it's the same make and model that other places are selling then why not save money if Wal-mart has it for less. But then I find if I'm looking for a particular make or model of something I can find it cheaper online.
I will not buy any of there non-name brand stuff. I've found it to be mostly junk.
I've heard that Walmart has contracts with some name brands to make a cheaper model for their store than what you can buy elsewhere. It looks exactly the same, and no where does it say its made especially for Walmart, but the materials and construction are cheaper. Anyone else heard this?

I'm not anti-Walmart, but my house is littered with cheap crap from there that breaks after a year. Things that used to last a long time (appliances, furniture, etc), are now disposable. It's hard to find well made stuff anywhere these days because good manufacturers have to compete to stay in business.

I have to defend Costco and REI, both those companies stand behind what they sell. REI will let you return anything for any reason. Do you pay more for that? Yes, but sometimes it's worth it.
So will Walmart. Never had a hassle with returns. In fact, its probablythe only place where I just put something on the counter, they scan it, and hand me cash, no questions asked.

Granted, I haven't done it all that much.

I'm a Stop & Shop guy for my groceries, it's close and convenient, and the quality is generally good. I agree with RW, REI is a great store. You pay a little more for things, but the quality is a whole lot better than the KMart/WalMart/etc. outdoor clothing and gear department.

About the only thing I'll go to WalMart for is dog towels and blankets, things where I don't care about any sort of quality since they will get shredded anyway. Family Dollar works for that stuff too.

I don't give two hot turds about made in America. I just want the best price, wherever its made. Plus it's a global economy these days anyway.

So will Walmart. Never had a hassle with returns. In fact, its probablythe only place where I just put something on the counter, they scan it, and hand me cash, no questions asked.

Wal-mart has a 90 day return policy. REI doesn't. REI will also let you return opened food items for reasons as simple as "I didn't like it".

Is wal-mart going to let you return that apple you took a bite out of just b/c you didn't like the taste?

Why?

I've heard that before, but why? And do you feel the same about, say, German goods? Why specifically Chinese products?

No, I don't feel the same about German goods. American stores are not flooded with inferior quality, heavy metal containing, garbage that's made in Germany.

Wal-mart has a 90 day return policy. REI doesn't. REI will also let you return opened food items for reasons as simple as "I didn't like it".

Is wal-mart going to let you return that apple you took a bite out of just b/c you didn't like the taste?
I wouldn't take back opened food, but that's just me.

I've heard that Walmart has contracts with some name brands to make a cheaper model for their store than what you can buy elsewhere. It looks exactly the same, and no where does it say its made especially for Walmart, but the materials and construction are cheaper. Anyone else heard this?
Yeah. It's true. Let's say Samsung wants WM to sell their line of TVs. For TV model PN50B123, Samsung's MSRP is $1000. WM says, "No thanks, unless we can sell it for $700." Samsung will begrudgingly agree because they want to sell more units. In order to keep profit margin, the components that make the TV will change - solder, wiring, hardware, etc... This PN50B123 "clone" will have a new model number - something like PN50BZ123.

I've always rather liked Wal*Mart. They're cheap, replaceable goods - which is frequently exactly what I need. I don't mind buying things 3 times as often when they cost a quarter the price. Yes, I know it's made in China garbage, but for my purposes that's fine.

Around here, my only other options are Fred Meyer's, Shopko, Target, or (maybe) Rite Aid. And none of those have the same variety, and they all tend to cost more in general - and have the same garbage, at that. And as a former Target employee married to another former Target employee, let me tell you that they treat their employees just as badly as Wal*Mart does. Plus, Target supports politicians [Tom Emmer] that support people that want me killed, and I don't agree with the "well he's good for business" excuse.

Why?

No, I don't feel the same about German goods. American stores are not flooded with inferior quality, heavy metal containing, garbage that's made in Germany.
Really?

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08380.html

I know its choking, not lead or anything, but bad quality is not endemic to a single country.

Back