Whatcha Playin?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up up down down left right left right b a b a start

My PS3's fans were getting really loud when playing a movie or a game. I tried cleaning the vents but it didn't help. I ended up getting those black plastic caps that go on the ends of new plotter paper and using them as stilts for the PS3. Bam, no more loud fans :)

Anyone have any other PS4 recommendations? I will probably pick up Tomb Raider over my vacation. Its only $35 new, can probably pick it up used from Gamestop for less. No FPS, thought I don't mind platformers that have a FPS element like Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc.
Tomb Raider is an amazing game. I do hope they make a sequel for it sometime soon. I'm a big fan of that Tomb Raider/Uncharted genre as well, third person adventure/platformer?

Have you checked out Last of Us? I haven't played it yet, but I've heard very good things.

Yep. Bought it, finished it. AWESOME game, and they're making a movie out of it to boot. Have a hard time believing the movie will live up to the game.

Command and Conquer Generals and Command and Conquer General Zero Hour nearly caused me to flunk engineering school. I played that constantly along with Grand Theft Auto Vice City. I thoroughly enjoyed building so many nuclear silos that they would nearly fill up the whole map. Using Black Lotus to drain the enemies bank account.....priceless. My buddy from college (computer engineer) hacked the game and we adjusted the damage from our weapons. The cannons in the China army were so powerful they blew up my own base. Jarmin Kell is one of my favorite characters as he can kill the tank drivers allowing you to send your guys out to capture the tanks. The Chinese army would send wave after wave of tanks to destroy your base and Jarmen Kell would take them all out. Send in about 20 guys to capture the tanks and turn the tanks around to go fight the enemy. The real drawback about playing this game is the connection issues. It would constantly "mismatch" and contacting EA was useless. They don't care they just want your money. I tried San Andreas and hated it. My buddy from school talked me into getting an XBOX after we graduated. Now I play mostly first person shooter games. I tried the COD games and want to love them but the hackers have driven me away. I'm a Battlefield fan and have all four editions. A few of you have mentioned Red Dead Redemption......man that game is awesome! I love it and wish they would come out with another. The online multiplayer sucks. It's plagued with hackers and that takes the fun out of it.

I liked RDD, but some of it just took SOOOO long on horseback, it drove me nuts. Especially when all the scenery looks exactly the same. Cool premise for a game, but unfortunately they sort of killed any shot at a sequel with the way they ended the original.

Spouse is looking for 1) a new gaming console and 2) games. We currently have an Xbox 360 that has had it, and needs to be replaced.

Suggestions/recommendations?

I just bought COD Ghosts. Playing that tonight

No surprise that I'm playing it on the couch.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS4 FTW! I've always like the PS controller better, and the system itself has superior hardware. I also tend to like the PS4 exclusive games better, since I'm not a big FPS guy.

I played Tomb Raider for a few hours yesterday, and suspect I'm most of the way through the game already. I was pleasantly surprised. Graphics and gameplay have been very good, especially considering this was an adaptation for the gen 4 console. Definitely a different spin on Lara Croft - in this she's depicted as a 20-something girl loosely following in her father's footsteps. Not the female Bruce Willis from Die Hard like the earlier games were.

I tried playing Minecraft with my son over xmas break. I had a headache after 20 minutes due to the motion. I can do 1st person games, just something was off with this one.

Game of War on my cell phone. This is such an addicting game, plus it has Kate Upton as the spokesmodel (and she's in the game too)

kate-upton.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
If anyone wants to play I have a 2nd account established. I need to scale back a bit and only focus on one.

Plus, I wanted to repost those pictures again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up an XBOX One controller for PC so that I could play Mortal Kombat (Steam Edition) online with friends. Pretty fun actually.

We were playing 2 player and my son is such a spaz the screen was constantly moving, and moving quickly. I can do the fast movement (see Battlefield 3, any Need for Speed game, etc), but Minecraft gave me a headache. Still wasn't as bad as the time I got myself motion sick playing Skyrim...

Picked up an XBOX One controller for PC so that I could play Mortal Kombat (Steam Edition) online with friends. Pretty fun actually.

How's that versus the 360 controller? I need a second wireless controller and was thinking of getting one.

I played a lot of Smash Bros on the 3ds during the break. I didn't think I would like it as much as I would, but the single player content is pretty extensive and loads of fun.

I also just started the Last of Us on the PS3. I've only played about 2 hours so far, but I am loving it. It is exactly the type of game I was looking to play.

Ah ok, I didn't know if the One controller was any better.

I also have an extra PS3 controller, so maybe I'll use that as the extra wireless remote.

Back