Whatcha Playin?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the Last of Us: Part 2 over the weekend as well.

I'm only like 2 hours in, but I'm liking it a lot.

I bought the Last of Us: Part 2 over the weekend as well.

I'm only like 2 hours in, but I'm liking it a lot.
I definitely get the impression being 2 1/2 days into it that it will not have a happy ending.

What a bunch of fucking losers. 
People suck. I didn't know it was possible, but it has become apparent that they suck even more over the past couple of months.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so I finished the game.  It's a very good game.  The ending, IMO, was abrupt and disappointing (and predictable).  

I come away from this feeling like the first game was the better of the two.  The Part I was so amazing because of the character relationships that developed, and never stopped developing.  Part II, while providing lots of backstory and doing a good job showing why Ellie wasn't necessarily a protagonist in all this, was mostly void of the relationship building.  Yeah, there was superficial boyfriend/girlfriend stuff and some very blatant "they're only kids, I care now and see the error of my ways", but did nothing in the way of real character development.  They did a better job with the new character, but her absence from Part I sort of left you feeling like you didn't care what happened to her either way.

Part II had better cut scenes and marginally improved graphics over Part I.  Motion capture was brilliant as noted above.  It was a bit too reliant on jump scares at times, and there were parts that felt very repetitive.  The new skills system felt largely unneeded, weapons upgrades were a wash.  

I give the game an A- overall.  It's still likely a top 5 PS4 console game, but I don't know if I think of it as the PS4 curtain call I'd hoped it would be.  Looks like the 5 year old Witcher III is going out with the PS4 crown.  

Supe, that's disappointing. 

TBH, I haven't touched it since the weekend. I was wondering who that person was when you were controlling her in the beginning of the game. Hopefully, the story works better for me.

I know this is a year old, but I just picked up Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order. Not very far in yet... maybe an hour or 2, but I'm really liking it. It's melee lightsaber combat meets "Uncharted" style exploration and platforming, (This is what I hear; I haven't played Uncharted) with a pretty good Star Wars story.

Supe, that's disappointing. 

TBH, I haven't touched it since the weekend. I was wondering who that person was when you were controlling her in the beginning of the game. Hopefully, the story works better for me.
It's still not bad, but it's hard for any developer to hit back to back grand slams I guess.

I know this is a year old, but I just picked up Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order. Not very far in yet... maybe an hour or 2, but I'm really liking it. It's melee lightsaber combat meets "Uncharted" style exploration and platforming, (This is what I hear; I haven't played Uncharted) with a pretty good Star Wars story.
That's pretty cool, I'll have to look into it.  I didn't know they had any open world SW games.

Video game recommendation...

Manifold Gardens

https://manifold.garden/

I just finished it. Would recommend. It's only about 10 hours of gameplay but is definitely worth it. It broke my brain on several occasions. Also the art style is beautiful!

It's hard to describe.

It's a first person puzzle game. The mechanics generally involve pressing buttons and moving cubes from where you get them to some target. Straightforward stuff; lots of games like that.

It's a first person 3D world. You have the ability to change gravity. Imagine you're inside a cube. You can walk up to any wall (or surface) and switch gravity to walk on that surface. From your first person perspective, it appears that you rotated the room. So you have the ability to walk on all 6 sides of the "cube". Although it's not always easy to figure out how to get to where you need to go. Getting interesting.

But also the world that you exist in is a world of repeating geometry. So stuff happens like you jump (really fall; there's no jumping) off the floor and then land on the roof. OR I was just in an area where no matter what direction I went I ended up right back where I started. So I had to figure out how to progress. That's were it get really weird. The repeating geometry generally happens in all 6 directions. So you have to use that to figure out how to accomplish your goal

I don't know if all that made sense. But it creates is feeling were you never know exactly what you're supposed to do. There are times where it feels really unsettling.

AC Valhalla - I had much higher hopes, but, it's more of the same.  Side quests aren't quite as monotonous as earlier games, but more terrible voice acting, etc.  When you look at games like Witcher 3, God of War, Last of Us, it really makes you wonder how they miss the mark so badly anymore.  I think they just try to turn them out too quickly.  It's also buggy as hell, and crashes **** near once every hour on PS4.  

I'm enjoying my switch. On my own I'm playing Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled right now. Good ol' nostalgia.

My family also started a discord for gaming stuff since a lot of us have a switch now and are finding the online multiplayer stuff fun. We've started playing Divinity: Original Sin II as a co-op campaign and also plan to play Diablo III at some point.

Anybody buy anything good doing the recent Steam autumn sale?

I bought Hitman 2 and Mutant Year Zero

I got the newish re-release of Age of Empires II for $10 myself.

Steam had some really good games for cheap on that sale.

I'm super excited for Christmas.  I started playing Octopath Traveler on the switch (they have a 3-hour demo that you can play like the normal game/experience) and it's sooooo fucking good.  Turn-based RPG, the pixel artwork is AMAZING, like, you can tell whomever was in charge of the art for background and the entire world was super detailed.  But I finished my demo.  And I can't buy it.  Because I told my brother I wanted it for Christmas.  UGH.

I bought the Phoenix Wright trilogy on switch.  I have all the games for DS, but why not buy them again?  Haven't started playing it yet because I'm still playing 'Let's Go! Eevee!'  I just want to catch Mewtwo and finish the pokedex and then I'll prob put it down.  The 'extras' in the game (fighting Red/Blue/Green and the scary master trainers) aren't something I really want to do?  I also need to start playing Pokemon Shield...because my brother said I need to?  Supposedly it also has expansion packs, so I'll pick it up.

Lastly...My ACNH has not been touched for a while.  I know I've missed a bunch of events...and the weeds are prob ridic. 

I'm super excited for Christmas.  I started playing Octopath Traveler on the switch (they have a 3-hour demo that you can play like the normal game/experience) and it's sooooo fucking good.  Turn-based RPG, the pixel artwork is AMAZING, like, you can tell whomever was in charge of the art for background and the entire world was super detailed.  But I finished my demo.  And I can't buy it.  Because I told my brother I wanted it for Christmas.  UGH.

I bought the Phoenix Wright trilogy on switch.  I have all the games for DS, but why not buy them again?  Haven't started playing it yet because I'm still playing 'Let's Go! Eevee!'  I just want to catch Mewtwo and finish the pokedex and then I'll prob put it down.  The 'extras' in the game (fighting Red/Blue/Green and the scary master trainers) aren't something I really want to do?  I also need to start playing Pokemon Shield...because my brother said I need to?  Supposedly it also has expansion packs, so I'll pick it up.

Lastly...My ACNH has not been touched for a while.  I know I've missed a bunch of events...and the weeds are prob ridic. 
I've heard that Octopath Traveler is super good. My son was playing it for a while, but I don't think he finished.

Looking for recommendations. Right now, me, wife, and daughter all play different stuff. We're wanting to try some sort of team-based or optionally-team-based online multiplayer game so we can all play something together.

1) My desktop is decent, but they are both playing on lower-end laptops. We do have a single PS4 available if there is something cross-platform.

2) No PvP/battle royale type shooters, e.g. PUBG or Fortnite

3) My daughter and I are not a fan of Diablo-style point and click gameplay, so first or third person RPG type stuff would be preferred.

Is there anything that fits the bill here?

mr snick and minisnick plays rocket league (race car soccer) against friends. He plays on PS, while I know friends play on computer.

Back