Whatcha Playin?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our group has been playing/enjoying No Mans Sky. Space exploration/sort-of survival with procedurally generated planets.

I got lucky early on and grabbed a mission that had a big payout at the end. Completed some main story line missions to get access/blueprints to more valuable materials. Was able to use payout as seed money for starting a lucrative farming and mining operation that generates about 20% of my starting investment every 4 real-time hours. Made back everything I spent on materials/ships with some grindy hours of buying low in one system and selling high in another.

Now searching for the "perfect" planet to set up a pair of bases both on land and under water while earning money in the background ("bad" planets have radioactivity, toxicity, bad storms, drones that attack you, minimal flora/fauna, etc.) Wife and friends are mad because they didn't invest early and are making peanuts trying to salvage stuff, and everything they need to craft/repair is more expensive because I crashed several of the local economies with my buying and selling antics 😬

The game is a lot of fun and a major time suck, though some of the glitches are pretty annoying. I had to manually edit a save game file to bypass a mission because the entrance to a building was glitched into the terrain and inaccessible. I also have to regularly clear out my base from dirt/rocks/plants, because the game loses track of terraformed areas and replaces what was excavated. The others have also dealt with some pretty infuriating inventory glitches, and have lost space ships from their inventory, etc.

Random.
Every time I spray bugs with bug spray, I feel a little like GLADOS releasing the neurotoxin. 🤣

Started playing State of Decay: 2. Third person zombie survival game, quite a bit different than the previous games we've played - no DIY base building, missions are character based and not just "go fetch", etc. Fun little time waster.

I recently played It Takes Two and am playing Stardew Valley. Played both with my girlfriend who is not a gamer at all, and she loved both. Great games to play with a kid or partner or friend who isn't into games.

I have also been playing Elden Ring, but its such a time suck and will take me a long time to finish.

Superliminal was excellent!!!!
If you like Portal, you'll probably like Superliminal. Very different mechanics, but similar gameplay and similar vibe.

Also like Portal, it's a short game. Probably only like 10 hours.
But I could image spending dozens of hours replaying it if you're a completionist and determined to find all the collectables.

Last edited:
I've never played any of the Tomb Raiders. I feel like I've missed out, same with the Halo series.
I played a couple of the old Tomb Raider games back in the late 99s or early 00s.

But if you're just getting into it the 2013 reboot is the place to start. Only 3 games in the rebooted series (so far).

I've also never played Halo, but I not really into first person shooters.

I bought a VR headset, so I've been playing a lot of Superhot VR, Beat Saber, and Moonrider (which is like Beat Saber, but with better music).

Back