Whatcha Playin?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I freaking love that game!
YESSSSSSSSSS.  I forgot how much fun it was to play a 'simple' game, where you run around and don't have to worry about enemies randomly attacking you (I'm about to challenge hooktail, I think, the big dragon, but I died last night when I was half-asleep, so I stopped)!  So much fun!

YESSSSSSSSSS.  I forgot how much fun it was to play a 'simple' game, where you run around and don't have to worry about enemies randomly attacking you (I'm about to challenge hooktail, I think, the big dragon, but I died last night when I was half-asleep, so I stopped)!  So much fun!
That game is near the top of my list as far as my favorites go, followed closely by the original Paper Mario and Mario RPG (for the SNES).

I just got Super Paper Mario for my Wii, and while I like the storyline, I’m sad they did away with the RPG battle format.

I finally just ordered a Switch and Mario Maker 2.  The lure of newly designed levels for old Mario games was too strong for me.

Question for yall ...

Sometimes during my lunch break at work, I like to grab an empty conference room, pull out my gaming laptop, and shoot aliens (or whatever). I know it my lunch hour and my personal computer, but I always feel a little guilty. Should I? Is this a thing people do?

Question for yall ...

Sometimes during my lunch break at work, I like to grab an empty conference room, pull out my gaming laptop, and shoot aliens (or whatever). I know it my lunch hour and my personal computer, but I always feel a little guilty. Should I? Is this a thing people do?
When I worked at the A/E firm, there was an architectural CAD tech that sat right next to the employee entrance.  His computer was spec'd to the max because he was running the first version of Revit (which was a massive resource hog).  Every day at lunch, he'd fire up a first person shooter (can't remember which one) and play it for his whole lunch break.  I'm assuming he had management's permission because he was in an open cubicle near a high-traffic area, and he would have needed IT to install the game for him on that computer.

officespace.jpg

Question for yall ...

You whip our your what and do what with it at lunch?

So I'm pretty slow, but I am nearing the completion of The Witcher 3 now. Spent a ton of time running around doing side quests to level up my character and customize my gear, now heading into the final battle at Level 34 with mastercrafted Wolf School gear and almost every alchemy product available (couldn't bring myself to kill a succubus or doppler just to get their mutagens).  What a great game.... I'm glad I have the two expansions to play after that. 

Thanks to the flu, I completed the main quest line in Witcher 3, and completed the "Hearts of Stone" expansion. Outstanding gaming experience. Hearts of Stone was surprisingly deep and involved, with tougher fights than the main quests. I just arrived in Toussaint now to begin Blood and Wine, but unfortunately I am no longer sick... 

Just curious for the other players here, which main quest ending did you get?

(Warning spoilers ahead!)

I got the ending where Nilfgaard won the war, and Ciri became empress. I know that's not defined as the "good" ending, but to me it seems like the optimum end state: Ciri has amazing powers and abilities, and as Empress is in a position to truly change things in their miserable world for the better. Had she just ended up as a witcher because that's what she enjoys doing the most, I feel like that would ultimately be the selfish decision. Just let the world burn.  Plus, I couldn't just let Djikstra kill Roche and my other friends who helped in the battle of Kaer Morhen. They came and helped, no questions asked, while Djikstra didn't do shit to help me and spent the book series manipulating and lying to me. So yeah I killed him.  I hooked up with Yeneffer over Triss, primarily because of the book. Knowing the original story of their "love" being created by Geralt's last wish with the Djinn, made the mountain top scene with the other Djinn actually pretty touching. 

Gaunter O'Dimm in Blood and Wine was a pretty cool, evil character. I ended up challenging him for Olgierd's soul and winning. That was a very fun questline, especially the wedding mission.

I also had the ending where Ciri leaves and becomes Empress. 

I honestly don't remember what happened with Dijkstra. 

I ended up with neither female lead, accidentally.  I was Yennefer biased the whole time, but I think there's one point in the game where Yennefer asks you to meet her somewhere, and if you continue on with the story line before doing so, you don't end up together.  I did end up hooking up with Shani in the expansion pack, and the one witch earlier in the game who sends you to the house that had lab equipment up in the attic, I think it was in a marsh somewhere?  Supposedly there's some way you can get through the game where both Yennefer and Ciri show up at Geralt's house, but I couldn't figure out how.  

When I have some vacation to burn later this year, I am 100% going to play this game again.  It should look amazing on the new projector setup.

Yeah I hooked up with the same two, Shani and Keira. Both are characters from the books.  I'm thinking about getting the version for the Switch and stealing my son's hand held,  since the main reason I couldn't finish earlier was other people using the big TV where the PS4 is.  I'd definitely like to try again,  since I failed a number of quests earlier on when I didn't really understand what was going on. Plus I missed out on several Gwent cards by not getting into it early enough.  I eventually learned to really enjoy that game, especially once i got a decent deck going and learned all the tricks. I beat the final Gwent tournament toward the end, and playing the Nilfgaardian deck against another can get crazy.

I also had the ending where Ciri leaves and becomes Empress. 

I honestly don't remember what happened with Dijkstra. 
You must have missed "Reasons of State" where you get to participate in an assassination attempt on King Radovid. Apparently you have to complete certain side quests in order to get the quest. In it you also get to decide Djikstra's fate, and in turn who wins the war.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started Witcher 3 again.  The only bummer, and maybe its a limitation of the PS4 slim vs. the regular one or Pro (I can't remember which I played on before), but the framerate drop in Novigrad is RIDICULOUS.  Turning off the motion blur helped a little bit, but it seems like I have to fully exit the game to clear the cache to make it run even tolerably on the slim.  Huge disappointment.  

I am forcing myself to make different decisions/make sure I don't miss missions, though.  I did the Cleaver missions, and let the tree live instead of killing it, which in turn freed the orphans but led to Ana dying and the Baron hanging himself.  

I think I'm going to focus on Triss this time, and making Roche successful.  I also want to try to get Ciri to become a witcher.

So I'm pretty slow, but I am nearing the completion of The Witcher 3 now. Spent a ton of time running around doing side quests to level up my character and customize my gear, now heading into the final battle at Level 34 with mastercrafted Wolf School gear and almost every alchemy product available (couldn't bring myself to kill a succubus or doppler just to get their mutagens).  What a great game.... I'm glad I have the two expansions to play after that. 
I have tons of vacation to burn so hope to finish the game then (no expansion packs yet).

You're a gentle soul - I killed them both just to complete the collection.

I killed off the first expansion "Hearts of Stone" over 2 sick days. It was really excellent, better in my opinion than the main quest. Compelling story, characters, and considerably tougher fights.

I'm taking my time with the Blood and Wine expansion.  Seems like a good story, but the world is so large and interesting that I have just been doing side quests, building my Grandmaster witcher gear, and renovating my  vineyard. Some tough opponents so far, and the biggest bandit battles yet. One that I am surprised I survived, but the new powers you get with this expansion are pretty helpful.  

Hearts of Stone is way better than Blood and Wine anyways.  I've really been enjoying doing some of the side quests and different dialogue options.  It's remarkable how different some of the quests are based on the decision tree, it feels like 25% of the game is new.  Been fun getting Yen super pissed at me too, since I'm playing the Triss path.  

Back