Whatcha Playin?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I made the plunge and bought a Wii U for the kids. I got it off of Craigslist from a family that literally turned it on one time. It comes with a few games and several wiimotes. I think I'm as excited as the kids will be on Christmas morning. Now I've got to start building a library of games for them (and me!).
Most of the Wii sports titles are great for family/group entertainment.

Do a little reading up on Wii U Homebrew.  I recently soft-modded my Wii and installed every NES and SNES game on it.  
This. I use an emulator but it's essentially the same. Great to play some of those classic titles over again. :D

Do a little reading up on Wii U Homebrew.  I recently soft-modded my Wii and installed every NES and SNES game on it.  
I've read up on it some and will probably do it in the future, but for now we'll just enjoy the new stuff. It seems that the Homebrew is more stable on the Wii and that the Wii U's version has had a few more issues with instabilities.

Spent some time playing Bloodborne.  It's one of the most difficult, frustrating games I've played.  After 10 hours or so I've put it aside and am still deciding if I want to try again.

Wife got me a PS4 for Xmas along with Final Fantasy XV and Assassin Creed Black Flag. I've spent a handful of hours playing FFXV and got aboit halfway through the first mission of Black Flag. Both good games, just don't play the console games anymore.

Instead I've been playing Marvel Contest of Champions on my phone. It's basically Street Fighter but with Marvel characters. You can unlock new characters, level them up, team up with other players. Good way to kill time on the bus to work or during lunch break.

Spent some time playing Bloodborne.  It's one of the most difficult, frustrating games I've played.  After 10 hours or so I've put it aside and am still deciding if I want to try again.
There are many internet threads calling that game "too hard for the average gamer," which is why I chose to pass.  I'm in a very similar boat with Metal Gear.

In my younger days I would have been up to the challenge.  I simply have too much to do to dedicate time to a game that is as frustrating as Bloodborne is.  The little time I have for playing games needs to be spent on relatively mindless ones.

In my younger days I would have been up to the challenge.  I simply have too much to do to dedicate time to a game that is as frustrating as Bloodborne is.  The little time I have for playing games needs to be spent on relatively mindless ones.
Exactly.  I need games that I can knock out over about 2 weeks time with an hour here or there, or a three day weekend when the wife is away.  Otherwise, I get yelled at.  That's why I really like games like Uncharted, Tomb Raider, etc. that evolved from the early platformers.

Hardest game ever? Hasn't anyone here played the old school NES game "Battletoads?" 

HFS that game got hard after a few levels.

Hardest game ever? Hasn't anyone here played the old school NES game "Battletoads?" 

That one was tough! Though I'd also argue that Fester's #$%& Quest was also very difficult. F that game!

^^ I beat Fester's Quest once. I think I needed to use a turbo controller though. (Is that even cheating?)

Last edited by a moderator:
So, how is it?
I really like it. But the game availability is a little lacking, which is to be expected given it launched in March. On a side note, these are sold out everywhere, was definitely a challenge to get it here in a timely manner as a b-day gift.

That said, the new Zelda is fantastic.  Transitioning between big screen and the hand-held is seamless. 32GB internal memory is a little on the low side, but there's SD expansion available. The controllers are small but have excellent connectivity. No issues what-so-ever playing from across the room. Haven't really tried anything multi-player yet, but the new Mario Kart is coming so I'm pumped for that. Will be cool to take this on the go for travel entertainment purposes.

I really like it. But the game availability is a little lacking, which is to be expected given it launched in March. On a side note, these are sold out everywhere, was definitely a challenge to get it here in a timely manner as a b-day gift.

That said, the new Zelda is fantastic.  Transitioning between big screen and the hand-held is seamless. 32GB internal memory is a little on the low side, but there's SD expansion available. The controllers are small but have excellent connectivity. No issues what-so-ever playing from across the room. Haven't really tried anything multi-player yet, but the new Mario Kart is coming so I'm pumped for that. Will be cool to take this on the go for travel entertainment purposes.
Cool. My daughter hasn't asked for it yet. She's still happy with the Wii U for now. But I suspect we'll upgrade someday.

I never made it past that level on the jet-ski/hovercraft.

rare-replay-battletoads-gameplay-screenshot-xbox-one1-970x545.jpg

Back