What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At a quick glance, it looks intriguing. Trouble is, as with all things of this nature, it hasn't been on the market long enough to really have some miles behind it. For me personally, I'm not a fan of only having (2) hard-wired ports. But then again my setup is a bit more advanced than others have with my servers and other networked media PCs. The price seems as high as some of the top-end routers (ASUS, Netgear, etc.). But then again I imagine some of that is the built-in functionality like smart-phone interfacing and such. I'm also skeptical about signal strength and quality with no external antennas. One thing I've learned over the years, an antenna trumps a non-antenna any day of the week. At least for now that's the case.

However, I will say that Google does their homework as they have access to seemingly unlimited resources when it comes to product testing. So because of that, I'd be more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and say this will probably work fine for most people. But for those that have a fair amount of wired networking, it's not ideal.

What does this new internet privacy bill mean for me and my viewing pleasures?
It means, is someone wishes to check up on what you're browsing for, they may now do so without worry of invasion of privacy.

That is, if you're not behind a hardware firewall, 256-bit encryption, and a mirrored connection. Disclaimer: I can neither confirm nor deny this configuration for my setup.

I just got this email from a friend and can confirm that I've started receiving some of the indicated Google shared directory messages in my personal email spam folder.

Subject: FW: *Urgent* Email Outbreak - has shared a document on Google Docs with you

From our IT Department:

A large scale email hack has occurred. These hacked emails are being used in an active phishing campaign. The hack effects gmail and k12.wi.us emails and possibly others. The quickest way to spot this email is the subject contains “has shared a document on Google Docs with you” and the to field has [email protected].

Delete this email immediately!
https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/03/psa-this-google-doc-scam-is-spreading-fast-and-will-email-everyone-you-know/

@knight1fox3 what are your thoughts on online backups for your data? I've been looking into it for a while but have never pulled the trigger, but with a big move coming up soon I'd like to have something other than physical backups to fall back on if needed. I've looked into Crashplan and Backblaze, but do you have any thoughts?

@knight1fox3 what are your thoughts on online backups for your data? I've been looking into it for a while but have never pulled the trigger, but with a big move coming up soon I'd like to have something other than physical backups to fall back on if needed. I've looked into Crashplan and Backblaze, but do you have any thoughts?
I'm a paranoid conspiracy theorist when it comes to online back-ups. But I see myself breaking down that barrier soon. For now, I back up all our computers (5 PCs) to my servers. To that back-up, I have another back-up stored in our fire safe. However, that said, when the time comes for me to go the cloud storage route, I still stand behind the info provided in my previous post:

This scam has been shut down by Google. The domains used in the attack were completely wiped from existence, with whois queries returning "huh?", and permissions granted to the malware for affected accounts have been revoked.

Speaking of dead formats, Starship Troopers was on the other day.  They were using mini-discs in that movie.

Back