What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For any of you Yahoo email users out there, this is not good. 

http://lifehacker.com/500-million-yahoo-accounts-hacked-change-your-password-1786958537

Yahoo has confirmed that information from at least 500 million user accounts was stolen in 2014. While the information was leaked earlier today, it’s worse than we initially thought. If you have a Yahoo account, it’s time to change your password.

Yahoo is notifying potentially affected users right now, but the information that was accessed by what they’re calling a “state-sponsored actor” includes tons of personally identifiable information, though thankfully no credit card numbers or bank account information was accessed. Here’s what Yahoo released today:

A recent investigation by Yahoo! Inc. has confirmed that a copy of certain user account information was stolen from the company’s network in late 2014 by what it believes is a state-sponsored actor. The account information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (the vast majority with bcrypt) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers. The ongoing investigation suggests that stolen information did not include unprotected passwords, payment card data, or bank account information; payment card data and bank account information are not stored in the system that the investigation has found to be affected. Based on the ongoing investigation, Yahoo believes that information associated with at least 500 million user accounts was stolen and the investigation has found no evidence that the state-sponsored actor is currently in Yahoo’s network. Yahoo is working closely with law enforcement on this matter.

Instead of waiting from that email from Yahoo to confirm your info was included in this breach, it’s best to change your password right now. Use strong passwords, get a password manager, and don’t use the same password as you do for other sites. It’s also a good time to enable two-factor authentication on that Yahoo account.

OH NO...THEY MIGHT GET ACCESS TO MY FANTASY SPORTS ACCOUNTS!

Seriously, I have 4 email accounts.  Outlook for work, Gmail for personal, Hotmail for junk, and Yahoo for fantasy sports.  I don't give a shit if somebody hacks my Yahoo account.

I have a yahoo account because they are who I buy the domain registration from for this website.

My yahoo accounts were all created to support my various anonymous online personalities, so I could care less, too.

The hack was back in 2014 so if you haven't changed your password since then you probably deserve to be hacked anyway.

I don't know but I can guess what Fox will say.

What I will say is, I am so glad I bought a gaming PC from Cyberpower PC last year.  I started with their base i5 package set, but then did some minor customization to pick a better graphics card, a better power supply, increased RAM, etc.  I got a machine that had nothing but Windows 10 on it - no bloatware whatsoever - and it has worked flawlessly for gaming and other applications ever since, and it just seems so much more "solid" and capable than any store PC I ever bought before. 

:bump:

Well, after about 3 years my PC at home is on it's death bed. In other words, I'm looking at a new computer.

What say you Mr. Fox about this one? http://www.costco.com/Acer-Predator-AG3-Gaming-Tower---Intel-Core-i7---8GB-Graphics-.product.100319640.html

I would just use it to encode video files and a little Skyrim every now and then.
Not bad!  Though that's quite a bit of hardware under the hood for a little video encoding and Skyrim!  Ha ha.  I just built (2) similar rigs for about the same price (around $1k each w/ my bulk discounts). ACER is a reputable brand and one I can typically recommend. Up from there is the ASUS ROG (republic of gamers) type rigs. It's nice that it has on-board Wi-Fi and comes with the predator series keyboard & mouse. Would be nice to see what the inside looks like but hopefully ACER did their homework and kept the build clean.

I don't know but I can guess what Fox will say.

What I will say is, I am so glad I bought a gaming PC from Cyberpower PC last year.  I started with their base i5 package set, but then did some minor customization to pick a better graphics card, a better power supply, increased RAM, etc.  I got a machine that had nothing but Windows 10 on it - no bloatware whatsoever - and it has worked flawlessly for gaming and other applications ever since, and it just seems so much more "solid" and capable than any store PC I ever bought before. 
That is certainly the way to do it. In fact, LadyFox was due for a new laptop so I got her a new 2-in-1. First thing I did was wipe the main drive and reinstall W10. No add-ons, no bloat-ware, no trial software. And it runs exceptionally well. :thumbs:

Back