~~**-- The Weather Thread --**~~

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fuck that!

But something is wrong now when I get up in the morning I look at the thermometer and I am relieved when it says 27 something is not right with that
Having grown up in New England and lived in the midwest, I'm inclined to agree with your sentiment. Especially since the temperatures DIDN'T BUDGE over those two hours.

THe super rural communities are bused in to attend our schools. The buses don't run well in this weather and they don't want the kids waiting for the bus out in this.

As being one who rode the bus in a rural community, I can appreciate that. And is really the only other time we had a day off. If the buses didn't run.

Only snow day we had was when we had a freak ice storm that knocked out the power to the town. 3 feet of snow? Better bust out the 4x4 and the snowshovel. The joys of growing up in the rural CO mountains...

I'd been gone from home for two weeks for the holidays and got home Monday night to 16" of snow in my driveway and -16 degrees with -40 wind chill. Two hours of snow blowing later I was able to get in my house. It really wasn't as bad as I was expecting outside though I did have plenty of snot-cicles hanging off my face by the time I was done.

It's 19 here at 2:54 AM. It's actually warmer in ND than NJ!

I was going to ask why you were up and posting at this hour, then I remembered you have a newborn. I have a puppy, which is similarly a late night excrement machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. Been watching old episodes of Duck Dynasty with the little one. I'm just glad it's finally beginning to warm up. I will be thawing out my washing machine and the supply lines to it later today. A space heater and a hair dryer.

Bitter cold helps SCE&G set power usage record

COLUMBIA, SC (AP) - This week's cold weather helped South Carolina Electric & Gas set a record for one-day power usage.

The utility said its customers used 101,118 megawatt hours of electricity Tuesday as lows dipped into the single-digits and teens and highs failed to get above freezing across most of the state.

The combination of high demand and weather-related failure of generating equipment forced SCE&G to use 15-minute rolling blackouts for the first time Tuesday morning to prevent more outages.

The previous record of 98,785 megawatts was set on Aug. 10, 2007, when the high in Greenville was 105 degrees and the high in Columbia was 107 degrees. Most of the state had seen several days of highs over 100.

http://www.wistv.com/story/24397336/bitter-cold-helps-sceg-set-power-usage-record

Looks like a lot of folks have heat pumps and were relying on the heat strips.

Last edited by a moderator:

COLUMBIA, SC (AP) - This week's cold weather helped South Carolina Electric & Gas set a record for one-day power usage.

The utility said its customers used 101,118 megawatt hours of electricity Tuesday as lows dipped into the single-digits and teens and highs failed to get above freezing across most of the state.

The combination of high demand and weather-related failure of generating equipment forced SCE&G to use 15-minute rolling blackouts for the first time Tuesday morning to prevent more outages.

The previous record of 98,785 megawatts was set on Aug. 10, 2007, when the high in Greenville was 105 degrees and the high in Columbia was 107 degrees. Most of the state had seen several days of highs over 100.

http://www.wistv.com/story/24397336/bitter-cold-helps-sceg-set-power-usage-record

Wow. In cases of a planned blackout, are they required to at least notify the customer in advance, or just shut it down w/o warning?

Wow. In cases of a planned blackout, are they required to at least notify the customer in advance, or just shut it down w/o warning?
Nobody knew it was a semi planned event until after it hit the news that the rolling blackouts were suspended at 10:45 am.

I suspect to see some 'revelations' hit the news in a few days.

See that's bs in my eyes. People have kids. Even though it was only for 15 minutes, it still could have been planned for by those it happened to.

See that's bs in my eyes. People have kids. Even though it was only for 15 minutes, it still could have been planned for by those it happened to.

You'll get no argument from me on that. I did note that it seems the rural areas took the brunt of the rolling blackouts. Take from that what you will, but I suspect it was because they're less likely to complain.

Its just not right. I've such bad experiences with the electric companies. We have always been the last to get restoration when there's an outtage. And they lie. The least they can do is give an honest estimated answer. This past summer we lost power 2 days after a bad storm. A pole snapped and left a wire hanging a few feet across an intersection. They left it that way for a day and a half. I complained to the state Board of public utilities but got no where. They all suck in my opinion.

Natural gas heat FTMFW!

Back