~~**-- The Weather Thread --**~~

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anything like the northeast, building trades soldier on. Earthwork ends about know and they gear up for plowing. In a mild winter you can dig but under stricter winter standards since fill freezes and grass won't grow. The work faces a little more scrutiny is the spring to see how it held up.

You need a long mild spell to make it worthwhile for the contractors to mobilize and the pavement plants ton reopen.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do construction companies do in the winter in North Dakota do they just take the time off and do another profession I can't imagine there's that much work them t do? right
Yup, in WI, they just power through the cold if something needs to be built. Most can't afford to take time off.

Last edited by a moderator:
On our colder projects, they will schedule to erect what they need to during the warmer months, and then tarp up the structures and use forced air heaters when necessary just to keep ice from forming on the steel, which would violate our safety rules. Other than ice, I've never seen the craft sent home in the winter otherwise.

We work through it too. We use blankets & heaters to keep the subgrade and/or steel warm before a concrete pour, then blankets for the concrete while it's curing. If the concrete is allowed to freeze, it can lead to scaling...

It's just low 30's and rain but no snow here or anything .... The people here treat rain like we react to snow in GA- roads are a "bloody mess"

It warmed up a bit here overnight. I took out the garbage early this morning and it wasn't as bad as I expected.

I was out around 9:30 last night and the wind chill couldn't have been more than 15. But I don't want to break out all my warm stuff, so I have something on reserve when it's -30.

It was in the 50s with a strong sun and no clouds this weekend, even the wind was pretty calm.

Today its overcast, won't hit freezing today, and we got 20 mph winds with 35 mph gusts. That's more like it!

We're supposed to get a few inches Thursday night into Friday, but nothing to write home about.

The cold snap plus the wind picking up has made taking puppy to the dog park so he isn't totally bonkers and I can actually get some stuff done is less than fun this week. Wind chill is about 8 right now.

Had to break out the big daddy parka this morning. Gonna be on the deck all day with a hefty breeze and currently 31 F. Hands and ears will become ice, but my body will be toasty.

My peeps back in Atlanta or enduring a 24° morning it's already 39° here I'm starting to think it doesn't snow a lot here ....bummer

My peeps back in Atlanta or enduring a 24° morning it's already 39° here I'm starting to think it doesn't snow a lot here ....bummer
I don't think it got quite that cold at my house. It was sub-30 degrees, but not by much.

Last night we got some pretty impressive winds, even though it was only about 40 degrees last night when I got home it felt much much colder. It was cold enough this morning that when my alarm clock went off this morning to go running I opted to roll over and go back to bed instead. :D

We had light sleet last night, but it wasn't cold enough to stay solid. Rain/sleet froze to the car, though.

Just wait till you front range guys get the annual 2-foot dumping of snow overnight. RG will be cursing it then.

It snowed a couple days ago in WI too. The next day it was like 22 deg. out. I was like WTH because a couple days prior to that it was like 50 deg. LOL WI weather.... :rolleyes:

Back