~~**-- The Weather Thread --**~~

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was the snow really that bad in Boston? Our flight was cancelled yesterday. On the bright side, I got another day off.

from where and when were you scheduled to land?  Skies and snowing were pretty bad until ~10-11 AM.  Could be the plane you were on never made it out of Boston to be there for your return flight.

We are getting fucking hammered, had at least a foot on the ground when I left for work, I had to push five cars out-of-the-way just to get out of my office building, I feel like I'm driving through The Walking Dead with all the cars broke down on the side of the road,thank God I didn't buy a Subaru

I think the roads there are closed or else I'd offer to let him crash with us .. Only about 15 miles away...

Going to measure but I think we have close to 2' in subdivision..

Hectic day, we were supposed to have an interview for some work today, stayed up all night practicing, wake to semi blizzard, drove the wife to work since her Prius don't do well in more than about 4". Come home, seems like interview is still on, drive to work to rehearse one more time as a group, 30 mile though insane snow, get to work about the same time as the client cancels the interview.. Snow is dropping like 2"/hour. Can barely get out of office, a transit bus got stuck at an intersection while I was being nice and helping push people cars up the hill to get out of our office. Transit bus blocks the intersectioni, I drive over the median to escape, pretty narly 30 mile  drive home..

we had 20" in our front yard, we live in A short cul de sac, homie don't plow the cul de sac so all our neighbors get together and hand shovel our road so we can get out to where the city did plow...

driving was hellish  but glad the snow gave me a chance to meet my neighbors and have a Little fun, kind of funny to drive around our subdivision and see most everyone out playing in the snow,kids, adults, teenagers..would have been "mo better" without the 3 hours in the car though..........

Last edited by a moderator:
two words - tele commute.

Around here with that much snow it's "essential personnell only" and an interview would not be considered essential.

"hand shovel" ?? doesn't anyone have a snow blower?

We've had meetings before with 10" of snow, selfish pride I think!

Everyone uses their blowers on their driveways and walks but no one wanted to used them on the road, not sure why, but with 10 people it was quick work.

if we're gonna get this much snow I may spend the money on a blower, f'n back is killing me smales!

My day was fun. The reports I saw said that things would "calm down" my mid-morning, so I drove Bee to the rail station like always with the assumption that the road crews would have a couple hours to get the roads cleared before we all went home.  Going in was slow, but overall wasn't bad.  As I get onto the train, Mrs Dex texts me to say she feels like shit and is staying home (with the AWD Jeep). Made it into work without any issues, and boss greets me at the door and said he was surprised I made it in (dammit, free pass and I missed it).  Spent a few hours finalizing a package to send off to CDOT when Mrs Dex texts me again asking when I'll be coming home because the weather is getting worse. Looking outside, it looked like we were in the middle of a snow globe: huge wet snowflakes flying in any/all directions due to the heavy winds, circulating around all the high-rises downtown. After I sent the submittal off, I decide to go home at about 11:30. Head down to the bus terminal on the 1st floor to catch my "usual" bus only to realize that the one I normally ride on is a rush-hour only route, so I end up having to catch a mall-shuttle to a different train station so I can at least get pointed in the right direction. Because I went to the bus terminal instead of the mall-shuttle stop, I end up missing the shuttle and had to wait 5 minutes for the next one. Finally get moving only to pull into the train station as the train I need to catch is pulling out. No big deal, trains run every 6 minutes, i'll just catch the next one, right? Nope. 20 minutes of standing out in the wind and the next train finally shows up only to reveal it's the wrong route, but it at least points in the right direction and has a few "shared" stops with other trains, so I get on if only to just get out of the wind.

Rode that train down to the last shared stop, got off and waited for the next train.  And waited, and waited, and freezing my butt off in the wind, and waited some more.  After about 30 minutes, the train I need finally shows up. Train then decides to double up on all of the stops (adding additional stops in between stations). No one can get on or off unless we're at the station, so we get about halfway there and just wait. Eventually the train operator says they are having problems with the switches getting packed with snow and not working properly, so they have to have a crew working in front of the trains the rest of the way home.  Normally this is a 45 minute train ride, yesterday it ended up being 2 hours.

Finally get to the station where Mrs Dex is waiting for me (no way Bee was making it home) and we learn the highway is closed. Fantastic. Luckily we were able to find the side-streets & frontage roads that got us back to our neck of the woods. Roads up to our house weren't plowed at all, and the Jeep was genuinely struggling between traction and getting high-centered in addition to the steep hills up to the house. Gas pedal was floored, but we weren't going more than 5-8mph, and eventually made it to the house at 3.  Yep, 3.5 hours to do a commute that normally takes just over 1. 

Decided to relax around the house for a while before taking on the task of shoveling the driveway at 8pm. By this point the wind had died down and was actually pleasant and I had to strip off my jacket because I was getting too warm while shoveling. Got the important half of the driveway done (Mrs Dex's side since Bee wasn't coming home), and I look over to the sidewalk around the corner to realize that people are driving in our yard. We live on the inside of a horseshoe-shaped street and people have been cutting the corner, which puts them up and over the sidewalk and through our front yard (we had to rebuild a section of our front yard a couple years ago because of this).

At this point, I rage-quit shoveling and went inside (about 10pm). Spent a bit digging through the garage to see if there is anything I can put out there to push people back into the street, couldn't find anything, so I had the bright idea that maybe the cops would have some traffic cones they could put out for me. I called the "local" PD number and she said they really don't have any way to help me, but said she would relay the message on to the road crews to see if they could plow the street to show where it actually is. 

Unsure of when the plow would show up, I decide to tough it out and shovel the sidewalk in hopes that it shows where the edge of the road is. It sucked.  The snow was already the heavy, wet stuff, but this was also packed down because of the cars driving on it.  About 20 minutes in, 2 of the really big highway plows come tearing down the street and completely clear a 20'+ lane down the center of the road. I was surprised, normally we only see a one-ton truck with a dinky blade do a single pass down the center of the road, but these guys cleared the whole thing in under 3 minutes after a couple of passes.  Only had to clear the windrow in front of the driveway at that point.

Went inside, took some Advil, and promptly passed out at 11:30.

Got up early this morning (5:30), had Mrs Dex drive me to the train station and spent another 20 minutes un-burying Bee so I can drive home tonight. My back f*cking hurts and I want to go back to bed. I genuinely hope that is the last time I have to shovel snow. Ever.

I've looked at installing a heated driveway.  Though this year was not the norm and shoveling days were few and far between.

The the CO snowstorm made it to MSP yesterday. 

The crazy thing about it is that a cold front from the north was pushing back the snowstorm. It turns out the northern side of the metro got nothing while the southern part got almost a foot.

Glad I'm on the north side!

I'm gonna hit up Home Depot today...They had some snow blowers on clearance last week when it was nearly 80 that week..

We had fewer snow events this year but what we had was all in the 12" + variety..

I'm laughing watching my 16 year old dig out the tahoe... I told him to do it yesterday before the snow got "crusty"

& Sorry about your train ride.. I saw some trains moving slow and stopped in odd places yesterday while I was going north...figured that would suck...

Back